The Student Room Group

Possible to live by yourself @16

So during yr11 I've had alot of troubles with my dad, we've fought alot, I've been banned from my house, luckily I could live @my cousins for a month and all this during GCSEs year. Despite all the bs I still surprisingly did great on my GCSEs and my mum convinced my dad to let me live with them.

Now I'm in sixth form and I'm having new troubles. After working through most of the summer I bought a mid range gaming pc which I think was deserved as other kids who've barely passed received tons of presents, my parents thought that not kicking me out was the best reward for my A*s and As. I'm not complaining though I'm happy I get to live with my mum and siblings.

So my little brother a fortnite kid, spend most of his days around me, mostly in my room and my dad thinks I've got a very bad influence on him. More specifically, he thinks that I'm the cause of my bros game addiction. So after not speaking to me for few months, he bursts into my room, sees my brother watching youtube instead of doing his homework. So he turns to me starts swearing at/cursing me telling me to leave the house and threatens to destroy my pc if I don't get rid of it.

On top of that I have to pay for school lunch which is fine because I've got a job which pays £80 a month and school is £46 but I can save by making pack lunch.

Now I dont really care what happens to me, but every time my dad argues which me, my mum and sis worry about me and intervene. This usually ends up really bad as my sister, 20, once got slapped and slammed onto the bad by my dad because she was protecting me. I feel ashamed but my dad is a heavy 46 Yr old man and I'm a skinny short 16 yr old. So you'd understand why they worry.

My mum wants me to move out too because that'd make everyone's life so much easier and I understand that she doesn't want me to go out of hatred.

The main problem between me and my dad is education, he tried to force me into studying 24h/7d and I'm just not about that. During Yr 11 he once caught me playing games with my lil cousin while he was visiting and tried to slap me. I blocked and slapped him back which caused the big fight.

Now I just want to move by myself in a room if possible and lead a more peaceful life. I'm not sure I'll succeed in a levels which all this fighting and tension. So is it possible to live by yourself @16?

Thank you for reading this if you did, sorry for taking up your time
Original post by Anonymous
So during yr11 I've had alot of troubles with my dad, we've fought alot, I've been banned from my house, luckily I could live @my cousins for a month and all this during GCSEs year. Despite all the bs I still surprisingly did great on my GCSEs and my mum convinced my dad to let me live with them.

Now I'm in sixth form and I'm having new troubles. After working through most of the summer I bought a mid range gaming pc which I think was deserved as other kids who've barely passed received tons of presents, my parents thought that not kicking me out was the best reward for my A*s and As. I'm not complaining though I'm happy I get to live with my mum and siblings.

So my little brother a fortnite kid, spend most of his days around me, mostly in my room and my dad thinks I've got a very bad influence on him. More specifically, he thinks that I'm the cause of my bros game addiction. So after not speaking to me for few months, he bursts into my room, sees my brother watching youtube instead of doing his homework. So he turns to me starts swearing at/cursing me telling me to leave the house and threatens to destroy my pc if I don't get rid of it.

On top of that I have to pay for school lunch which is fine because I've got a job which pays £80 a month and school is £46 but I can save by making pack lunch.

Now I dont really care what happens to me, but every time my dad argues which me, my mum and sis worry about me and intervene. This usually ends up really bad as my sister, 20, once got slapped and slammed onto the bad by my dad because she was protecting me. I feel ashamed but my dad is a heavy 46 Yr old man and I'm a skinny short 16 yr old. So you'd understand why they worry.

My mum wants me to move out too because that'd make everyone's life so much easier and I understand that she doesn't want me to go out of hatred.

The main problem between me and my dad is education, he tried to force me into studying 24h/7d and I'm just not about that. During Yr 11 he once caught me playing games with my lil cousin while he was visiting and tried to slap me. I blocked and slapped him back which caused the big fight.

Now I just want to move by myself in a room if possible and lead a more peaceful life. I'm not sure I'll succeed in a levels which all this fighting and tension. So is it possible to live by yourself @16?

Thank you for reading this if you did, sorry for taking up your time

Yes you can leave home at 16.

Contact social services and they have to assist in finding you a place. It may be a hostel. It may not be safe to keep an expensive computer there.

Why dont you keep your bother off your pc by disabling it or locking him out?
I think that moving out may be the best option, not for the sake of the rest of your family per se, but for yourself. You are living in an abusive environment and it's not good for you physically or emotionally to stay in it. Nothing should provoke a grown man, and your dad at that, to hit a sixteen year old girl, or any of your siblings, or your mum. Before anything else it's important you realise that it is a failure of self control on his part, and it's not your fault. As for living on your own at sixteen, I don't think you can be entirely independant, but it is possible for you to move out and get the support that you need. The advantage you have already is that you've been supporting yourself as much as you can for a while with your job, so you've already got a head start. Talk to social services and your college's student services so they can help connect you to the right channels to help you move somewhere else that's better for you. Best of luck OP
Original post by Kanairee
I think that moving out may be the best option, not for the sake of the rest of your family per se, but for yourself. You are living in an abusive environment and it's not good for you physically or emotionally to stay in it. Nothing should provoke a grown man, and your dad at that, to hit a sixteen year old girl, or any of your siblings, or your mum. Before anything else it's important you realise that it is a failure of self control on his part, and it's not your fault. As for living on your own at sixteen, I don't think you can be entirely independant, but it is possible for you to move out and get the support that you need. The advantage you have already is that you've been supporting yourself as much as you can for a while with your job, so you've already got a head start. Talk to social services and your college's student services so they can help connect you to the right channels to help you move somewhere else that's better for you. Best of luck OP

Thank you for your advice, btw I'm a boy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending