The Student Room Group

Cardiff Sixth Form College or Concord College, Shrewsbury

Hi, I am a boarder from Hong Kong. I have applied for CSFC and Concord college. Recently, I have received a conditional acceptance letter from CSFC, but there is no reply from Concord College as they will make the decision in November. I am applying for year 12, 2019. My personal preference is Concord College but CSFC needs a prompt deposit and a firm answer. I am in a dilemma right now and will appreciate it if anyone could tell me their experience in either schools or offer me some advice! Thanks!
Much appreciated,
Michelle Chan
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

heyy michelle, I’m not applying to either schools but I know a large majority of people applying to concord college. I am a international student from Malaysia also applying for year 12 in 2019. I’m applying to Haileybury, Shrewsbury and The Leys. Have you visited both the colleges?
Hi Katlyn! Sorry i hadn't been on the students room for a while, thanks for the reply! I have not visited both of the colleges u have applied for. However, I feel that the Leys school is quite popular! Anyway have u got your results yet? Did u get an offer from the schools u had applied for? Best of luck to you!
Reply 3
o
Original post by Michelle Chan
Hi, I am a boarder from Hong Kong. I have applied for CSFC and Concord college. Recently, I have received a conditional acceptance letter from CSFC, but there is no reply from Concord College as they will make the decision in November. I am applying for year 12, 2019. My personal preference is Concord College but CSFC needs a prompt deposit and a firm answer. I am in a dilemma right now and will appreciate it if anyone could tell me their experience in either schools or offer me some advice! Thanks!
Much appreciated,
Michelle Chan

hi, don't know what to recommend to you since both schools are known for outstanding academic results, but I feel like you have to go to both colleges and get a sense of what it's environment is like.
I am planning to apply to CSFC, but haven't done so yet. I hope I can still apply (I couldn't find when they are closing the applications).
Did you pass the entry exams and what were they like?
Original post by LaraD1
o

hi, don't know what to recommend to you since both schools are known for outstanding academic results, but I feel like you have to go to both colleges and get a sense of what it's environment is like.
I am planning to apply to CSFC, but haven't done so yet. I hope I can still apply (I couldn't find when they are closing the applications).
Did you pass the entry exams and what were they like?

Yes I have passed the entrance exams for CSFC, it is relatively easy for my subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Business). Note that business is no longer available for the next academic year so u might not want to do the entrance exams for that. They have a non-verbal test online, which is quite difficult if u ask me. (I totally butchered it, I don't know why they would offer a place for me) And an online test on English language, which I also have some difficulty in. I don't know the deadline for applications as well but I will suggest u take it as soon as possible because normally applications are closed on October to November.
Much appreciated,
Michelle Chan

Hi, I actually applied to both and I received a placement at Concord college about last week.
Original post by angiepoks
Hi, I actually applied to both and I received a placement at Concord college about last week.

Whattt. I still haven't gotten a reply yet 😭
Original post by angiepoks

Whattt. I still haven't gotten a reply yet 😭
Hi Katlyn! Sorry i hadn't been on the students room for a while, thanks for the reply! I have not visited both of the colleges u have applied for. However, I feel that the Leys school is quite popular! Anyway have u got your results yet? Did u get an offer from the schools u had applied for? Best of luck to you!

Sorry I wasn't quite clear in my message. I meant to ask if you have visited CSFC and Concord College. For Concord College, have you done the Ukiset? I have finished the interview for Shrewsbury. My entrance exams are next week for Haileybury and Shrewsbury. They said offers only come out on the 1st of December.
Original post by Wanni Chow
Hey I also got an offer from Concord college like two days ago😂 I think it will be better if you send them an email to check what’s actually going on, coz I heard that there will be interview on 1st / 2nd of December.

Oh no what should I do 😱 I will try and contact Concord College, thanks for the info! By the way is the interview mandatory? And are u a boarder from Hong Kong as well?
Reply 10
Hi there,
You said that the exams for bio and chemistry were relatively easy hahah. What does it mean? Do you remember certain types of tasks that were there?
Sorry I'm really nervous about them.
Original post by LaraD1
Hi there,
You said that the exams for bio and chemistry were relatively easy hahah. What does it mean? Do you remember certain types of tasks that were there?
Sorry I'm really nervous about them.

In my opinion, biology is a little bit more difficult than chemistry as some of the questions are not covered in my school's syllabus for year 10(secondary 4). For chemistry, there are topics like electroplating, basic knowledge on atoms(mass number and isotopes), bondings( boiling points and melting points) e.t.c. (I can't recall a lot because I had the exam in july) For biology, there are topics on cell structures, cell division ,structure of the heart and lungs, respiration and photosynthesis and also food substances. It is like a GCSE paper so u could get some references. What I said may not be entirely accurate though 😂
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Thank you :smile:
Still helps a lot
No problem😉 I’m not very sure how the interview works tho coz I was told to have a Skype interview but the next day they send me an offer letter. It’s not mandatory I guess🤔no, I’m from Malaysia hahaha btw do you need the admission’s email address?

Oh it's ok. I have the email address. So I guess there will be an interview after they accepted you, which is kind of unusual. Well today they asked me for more evidences( school reports and awards),guess I didn't do well in UKISET. May I ask what grade did u get if u don't mind? Or maybe direct message me if you don't want your results being exposed to the public. Thanks Wanni Chow
Reply 14
Oh it's ok. I have the email address. So I guess there will be an interview after they accepted you, which is kind of unusual. Well today they asked me for more evidences( school reports and awards),guess I didn't do well in UKISET. May I ask what grade did u get if u don't mind? Or maybe direct message me if you don't want your results being exposed to the public. Thanks Wanni Chow

Hi
What is UKISET?
No problem😉 I’m not very sure how the interview works tho coz I was told to have a Skype interview but the next day they send me an offer letter. It’s not mandatory I guess🤔no, I’m from Malaysia hahaha btw do you need the admission’s email address?

hey! I'm from Malaysia as well and they offered me an interview at the beginning of December at this hotel, I think I did relatively well for my ukiset but I have not been offered an acceptance letter, should I be worried? Also, was it Miss Karen who sent you the acceptance letter ?
Original post by LaraD1
Hi
What is UKISET?

the uk secondary school's admission test
Reply 17
Original post by Sushmhitah
the uk secondary school's admission test

Ok thank you, but is it necessary for overseas students applying to uk schools (sixth form) or can I just take school's entrance exams?
Original post by LaraD1
Ok thank you, but is it necessary for overseas students applying to uk schools (sixth form) or can I just take school's entrance exams?

Some schools require them regardless of whether english is your first language or not, every school is different so you should check your school's entry requirements!!
Thanks for the good information.

Quick Reply