Odds on a second EU referendum are now 7/5!! Watch

Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A few months ago I laughed in the face of people who thought there would be a second referendum - it seemed inconceivable to me. That's all changed now. The odds seem to think it's a really close call:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics...-eu-referendum

We're living in crazy times.

EDIT 22/10/19 : odds for a 2nd referendum before the end of 2020 are 7/5.
Last edited by Sir Cumference; 2 weeks ago
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brexit is the nutter on the bus de nos jours.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notnek)
A few months ago I laughed in the face of people who thought there would be a second referendum - it seemed inconceivable to me. That's all changed now. The odds seem to think it's a really close call:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics...-eu-referendum

We're living in crazy times.
There won’t be a second referendum where remaining is on the ballet.
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by paul514)
Anything seems possible now. Although if you have "remain" on the ballot and multiple "leave" options then "remain" is obviously going to win because the leave vote will be split. So I'm not sure that can happen.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If there is, it's a crime against democracy. Unfortunately I can almost see it happening (almost)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AstroNandos)
If there is, it's a crime against democracy. Unfortunately I can almost see it happening (almost)
Even if its voted for in a general election?

Are the British public ever allowed to change their minds?
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
But what if they change their minds again a week after the second referendum? Should there be a third referendum?
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Of course they are. A second referendum in my eyes could either split the leave vote (if there's multiple options), or remain could essentially be forced upon us with the EU only offering a bad deal pre-brexit

I think it's better to just get on with it, even if it means assuming no deal. If the majority of the electorate really did want a second referendum and really did want to remain then that's fairs, I just see it as a bit of a loophole tbh
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The dogma among Brexiters use to be there won't be a second referendum.

It is almost like the abject failure to come over with a Brexit plan after two years means the political mood is changing.....
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this a pas-de vingt-sept at the English National Ballet?
Zerforax
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A crime against democracy for voting..? Only a bit of an oxymoron.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
But what if they change their minds again a week after the second referendum? Should there be a third referendum?
Your example is false, but yes they can change their minds as many times as they want. Referendums are advisory and not binding.
Johnathan94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes.
We get this a lot up here in Scotland. "Oh but you already voted on independence", yup that's true but for so long as we keep returning pro-independence parties to government, those governments are perfectly right (in fact, obligated to in my view) conduct another independence referendum.

If policy is truly supposed to reflect public opinion, then when public opinion changes, so should policy.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zerforax)
A crime against democracy for voting..? Only a bit of an oxymoron.
See my previous post
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Is this a pas-de vingt-sept at the English National Ballet?

I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice that.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Yea once the last vote has been carried out
Johnathan94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sulfolobus)
The dogma among Brexiters use to be there won't be a second referendum.

It is almost like the abject failure to come over with a Brexit plan after two years means the political mood is changing.....
I honestly can't believe that 2 years after the vote, we've only just come up with an idea of what we'd like to achieve out of the negotiations. I'm a Remainer but no matter which side you're on, it should be so clear to anyone that the Conservative party bungled this in a big way.
AstroNandos
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your example is false, but yes they can change their minds as many times as they want. Referendums are advisory and not binding.
Seeing as you can't be leaving and joining the EU whenever you like, a second referundum would essentially be binding (though not legally) as the government would use that outcome as how they would proceed with brexit.

How is his example false? What is to say there can't be a third referendum if the second is remain? If public opinion was obviously leave, would you be against a third referendum if the public wanted one before brexit day?
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Of course they are. A second referendum in my eyes could either split the leave vote (if there's multiple options), or remain could essentially be forced upon us with the EU only offering a bad deal pre-brexit

I think it's better to just get on with it, even if it means assuming no deal. If the majority of the electorate really did want a second referendum and really did want to remain then that's fairs, I just see it as a bit of a loophole tbh
I think you would do it by elimination so you always got rid of the least popular choice.

British public by election can vote for whatever government they want.

The problems with Brexit are multiple.

Tiny majority.

Terms of deal unknown

Situation now is different from what people were led to believe they might get.

All that said I dont think there will be another one. rather just get on with it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
I honestly can't believe that 2 years after the vote, we've only just come up with an idea of what we'd like to achieve out of the negotiations. I'm a Remainer but no matter which side you're on, it should be so clear to anyone that the Conservative party bungled this in a big way.
I can. Faffing about with an unnecessary election, then faffing about appeasing various parts of the overly-broad conservative party. Fiddling whilst Rome burns. And all the time appearing to the EU like a group of incompetent tîts (I'm not sure what the group noun for that is)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.33%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.2%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.35%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.57%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.09%