Odds on a second EU referendum are now 7/5!! Watch

LiberOfLondon
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
There won’t be a second referendum where remaining is on the ballet.
*Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy plays*
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
While I want all of this nonsense to stop with Brexit, I'm fully supportive of the Lib Dems just revoking Article 50 rather than a referendum. The issue with a second referendum is that you'll have the idiots who will change their opinion to 'respect the first vote' like most of the cowards in parliament did, instead of sticking to what they believe in. I do fear that the Remain vote would struggle because of this.
Well at 1/4 that's currently even less likely than a referendum.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sleathable)
Another anti democratic who doesnt want to the public to choose whether they are run but the EU or not.
The UK never even voted to join the EU and now you say they can't choose to leave either.
The majority of the British public don't have the first idea about what the EU does or doesn't do. We are hardly ran by the EU either.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
There will be no second referendum if no party stands for that.
It should be settled by the general election, unless it is noc.
Seems the choice will be:
1. Renegotiated withdrawal deal. Labour.
2. Boris/May withdrawal deal Conservative.
3. Hard Brexit. Brexit party.

Public will decide.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Useful combined tracker poll using only recognised pollsters, 'Britain Elects'.
http://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Useful combined tracker poll using only recognised pollsters, 'Britain Elects'.
http://britainelects.com/polling/westminster/
Try putting the data into Electoral Calculus to get seat totals.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Try putting the data into Electoral Calculus to get seat totals.
Yes, currently showing 112 seat majority for the Tories. :sad:
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, currently showing 112 seat majority for the Tories. :sad:
*smirks smugly*
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
*smirks smugly*
Lol, time will tell. Polls usually narrow as election day approaches.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol, time will tell. Polls usually narrow as election day approaches.
It's usually more of the third party weakening than a substantial fall in the gap between Lab and Con albeit most of the time its smaller than the start.

In 2015 polling actually went towards the Tories even though most called it as too close. In 2017 the gap was still in double digits until the Tory manifesto release. In this one we appear to be replicating 2017 and have opened up a larger initial gap.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
It's usually more of the third party weakening than a substantial fall in the gap between Lab and Con albeit most of the time its smaller than the start.

In 2015 polling actually went towards the Tories even though most called it as too close. In 2017 the gap was still in double digits until the Tory manifesto release. In this one we appear to be replicating 2017 and have opened up a larger initial gap.
Oh God...

You are giving me flashbacks of May's attempt to tax the same elderly people who are our core voters. She did more to ruin the Party than Corbyn could ever have done.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
The majority of the British public don't have the first idea about what the EU does or doesn't do. We are hardly ran by the EU either.
Very true, and many of the lies were written by an EU correspondent for the Daily Telegraph between 1989 and 1994, one Mr Johnson. Now the worst Prime Minister in history and a mysoginist with no morals.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh God...

You are giving me flashbacks of May's attempt to tax the same elderly people who are our core voters. She did more to ruin the Party than Corbyn could ever have done.
Actually the policy was simply a deferred inheritance tax and quite innovative. Unfortunately it was not tested in advance with polling or focus groups.

I also doubt she thought that Labour would attack her for a policy they probably would privately support since they are often talking about increased inheritance taxes.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Actually the policy was simply a deferred inheritance tax and quite innovative. Unfortunately it was not tested in advance with polling or focus groups.

I also doubt she thought that Labour would attack her for a policy they probably would privately support since they are often talking about increased inheritance taxes.
I'm not sure I like the idea of an inheritance tax anyway (filthy L/libertarian that I am) but saying ”Hey, let's tax the elderly” when they are the only people that routinely vote Tory is a bad idea.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oh God...

Did you just admit the tories are a party of coffin dodgers? :P
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Did you just admit the tories are a party of coffin dodgers? :P
Touche. Old people who have property and retirement savings are going to vote for the party that doesn't want to take those away, whereas young people who are envious of those things will vote for the party that wants to give them to them.

So yes, the older you get the more likely you are to be a Conservative (hence why the hippies and anti-Vietnam protesters of the 60s are now today's Brexiteers and blue-rinsers).
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

As usual in the UK, nobody is doing anything about all the serious issues, one of which is the demographic one of baby boomers retiring and eventually needing social and medical care, a huge surge in demand for both now coming through the system. May was making a brave attempt to confront the issue. For party political purposes, both main parties now like to pretend it isn't happening, but it is. They make vague promises to resolve it, none of which will work. The only thing that will work is to significantly increase national insurance contributions and to revalue council tax bands so that they are now realistic pro-rata on expensive properties. At present, people in huge houses pay a great deal less per £ of property value in real terms than they did when council tax started. That can't be right, but nobody in power will deal with it.

The constant attacks on any tax increase by the right wing media only serve to further undermine the real quality of life for millions of people here, including millions of Tory voters.
paul514
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As usual in the UK, nobody is doing anything about all the serious issues, one of which is the demographic one of baby boomers retiring and eventually needing social and medical care, a huge surge in demand for both now coming through the system. May was making a brave attempt to confront the issue. For party political purposes, both main parties now like to pretend it isn't happening, but it is. They make vague promises to resolve it, none of which will work. The only thing that will work is to significantly increase national insurance contributions and to revalue council tax bands so that they are now realistic pro-rata on expensive properties. At present, people in huge houses pay a great deal less per £ of property value in real terms than they did when council tax started. That can't be right, but nobody in power will deal with it.

The constant attacks on any tax increase by the right wing media only serve to further undermine the real quality of life for millions of people here, including millions of Tory voters.
This country is already a high tax country
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
millions of people did not want the result of yesterday's rugby. we really need to have a replay of the match so the correct result can be produced.

#tooclosetocall

#replay=fairplay
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
This country is already a high tax country
We're actually well down the EU table for tax take as a percentage of national income.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48988052

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

what's your favourite season?

Summer (65)
32.18%
Spring (37)
18.32%
Autumn/Fall (51)
25.25%
Winter (38)
18.81%
I love them all equally (11)
5.45%