Students that have done AQA Biology and Chem? Watch

curtiswood
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have found a centre in which I can take my AQA Biology and Chemstry exams as Private Candidate, but i've just found out 8-10 practicals are needed to be done in order to score high on the exam.

Question, are the practicals mandatory if you want to get a high grade in both AQA bio and chem? or can I study the AQA student books and revision guide's to recieve a high grade?(Without do the practicals)

Even if I can do the practicals at centre where I'll take the exam, how will I know what to do? as I will have no practical training.

This driving me nuts because I cannot find infomation on this matter, if anyone know's about this please let me know.

Aprecciate any help,

Curtis.
elliffects
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are quite a few practicals that need to be completed as they ask you questions in the exam about how to complete them and changes you could make. I would personally say completing the practicals is the smartest thing to do. There are lots of YouTube videos showing you how the practicals are done and information about them and you can download content from the internet and get the official AQA practical booklet from their website.
gurlll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
PRACTICALS ARE SO IMPORTANT omg
curtiswood
Rep:
?
(Original post by elliffects)
There are quite a few practicals that need to be completed as they ask you questions in the exam about how to complete them and changes you could make. I would personally say completing the practicals is the smartest thing to do. There are lots of YouTube videos showing you how the practicals are done and information about them and you can download content from the internet and get the official AQA practical booklet from their website.
Yes, I understand this but my problem is that because I will be taking the exam as a private candidate I will not be able to get a hold of the resources needed to practise the practicals at home.

Are you saying I can learn everything I need to know just from studying books and online resouces without having any physical practise? and just turn up to the exam and be able to do the practicals? You do the practicals on the same day as your exams right?

Thank you for your help!
elliffects
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I completed the course we had to complete the practicals leading up to the exam throughout the 3 years and just sat the 2 papers at the end. I'm not sure if it works differently through centres. If the practicals were mentioned you may have to complete them on the day therefore I recommend looking online and using the exam boards website and YouTube to prepare and they walk you through step by step.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by curtiswood)
Yes, I understand this but my problem is that because I will be taking the exam as a private candidate I will not be able to get a hold of the resources needed to practise the practicals at home.

Are you saying I can learn everything I need to know just from studying books and online resouces without having any physical practise? and just turn up to the exam and be able to do the practicals? You do the practicals on the same day as your exams right?

Thank you for your help!
This is a problem now for all private candidates of sciences, both at GCSE and (far worse) at A level.

You cannot 'just learn' the practicals. You have to take the assessed practicals: you need to be signed off as competent and by not doing them it would be essentially impossible to answer the examination questions on them with any degree of ability. You need to find a centre willing to host you as a private candidate for the practical element and, unfortunately, this will be very expensive.

For example, see this from AQA Biology GCSE:

Attachment 775276
curtiswood
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
This is a problem now for all private candidates of sciences, both at GCSE and (far worse) at A level.

You cannot 'just learn' the practicals. You have to take the assessed practicals: you need to be signed off as competent and by not doing them it would be essentially impossible to answer the examination questions on them with any degree of ability. You need to find a centre willing to host you as a private candidate for the practical element and, unfortunately, this will be very expensive.

For example, see this from AQA Biology GCSE:

Attachment 775276
Thanks for this, I did read it was extremely expensive but I was hoping that I could learn everything from the student book....I guess not, well, nevermind. I will look around for centre's that do it, but not going to bet on it going any further, I seen how expensive the A level Biology practical endorsement is, and definitly don't have the funds for such price's.

Thanks again.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by curtiswood)
Thanks for this, I did read it was extremely expensive but I was hoping that I could learn everything from the student book....I guess not, well, nevermind. I will look around for centre's that do it, but not going to bet on it going any further, I seen how expensive the A level Biology practical endorsement is, and definitly don't have the funds for such price's.

Thanks again.
You're welcome, and I"m sorry I had to bring you bad news! It is a real problem for private candidates now and there seems to be no way round it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (22)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
15.15%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
18.18%

Watched Threads