The Student Room Group

BPP with a 2:2?

My stats:

I'm an international student, I did my undergrad in war studies at KCL, got a 2:2 (got a First on my dissertation though dunno if it'll help if i put it on the form), and now am going to apply to do a law conversion. And I sort of only want to go to BPP in London. What are my chances? I know it's apparently not hard to get in (but tough courseload), but I would still like to know what my chances are, since they're still accepting apps....

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got an offer yesterday from BPP London and they only want me to get a 2:2...
Reply 2
congrats! but i graduated last year already- took a yr out to get some work experience in research.....
Reply 3
do intl students pay more? does that help? lol
You'll probably get in, but maybe question what kind of TC you'd be looking for at which firms and see what they say about your situation?
Reply 5
prettyanxious
My stats:

I'm an international student, I did my undergrad in war studies at KCL, got a 2:2 (got a First on my dissertation though dunno if it'll help if i put it on the form), and now am going to apply to do a law conversion. And I sort of only want to go to BPP in London. What are my chances? I know it's apparently not hard to get in (but tough courseload), but I would still like to know what my chances are, since they're still accepting apps....

Thanks!

Your problem is unlikely to be getting into BPP. It will be getting a job afterwards.
Reply 6
Yeah I've realized that from reading through the threads....and it's weird law firms place more emphasis on your first degree than on how you did on the GDL.......

life sucks with a 2:2 and i'm from hk too- the asian mentality doesn't help...
Reply 7
Ishtar
Your problem is unlikely to be getting into BPP. It will be getting a job afterwards.

So even if you get a distinction in the GDL with the 2:2 in your first degree, and someone else gets, say, a pass in the GDL with a 2:1 in their first degree, the firm will still choose the person with the 2:1??
Reply 8
Well obviously firms have alot of applicants and will have to filter lots of them, but I really don't understand why they would overlook a distinction in the GDL but place more emphasis on the 2:2. After all, the GDL is a very tough one-year course, and to get a distinction in the GDL should be just as impressive, if not more impressive than getting a 2:1 in your LLB???
Reply 9
AAAH this statement wrecks my head, everyone says it and it is the world's greatest non-sequitur. "If you get a 2.1 you stand a good chance, if you get a 2.2 you're in trouble, because in Law it's not what you know, it's who you know." How does that make sense? Similarly in last week's "The Lawyer" the editorial said that Nicholas de Lacy Brown from the Apprentice didn't get pupillage first time round because "it's not what you know it's who you know" - his dad is a bloody solicitor!! And he comes across like a tit, wouldn't that be a more obvious explanation than the whole "who you know" TRIPE??!!

*cough* sorry about that, you hit a nerve...:rolleyes:
(edited 4 years ago)
prettyanxious
Well obviously firms have alot of applicants and will have to filter lots of them, but I really don't understand why they would overlook a distinction in the GDL but place more emphasis on the 2:2. After all, the GDL is a very tough one-year course, and to get a distinction in the GDL should be just as impressive, if not more impressive than getting a 2:1 in your LLB???

Many firms filter out non-2.1 applicants - they just stop there, so it doesn't matter if you're Queen of Sheba without a 2.1. But some smaller regional firms might give you a shot if the rest of your CV was really great. But don't expect to get a distiction in the GDL, it's bloody hard and statistically a lot harder than getting a 2.1 in a degree.
Ok thanks. And I'm from Hong Kong- smaller regional firms would probably equate to local firms here. And I'm definitely not going to do a GDL to land a TC at a local firm. So alas, I guess there's not much point in doing a GDL.
prettyanxious
Ok thanks. And I'm from Hong Kong- smaller regional firms would probably equate to local firms here. And I'm definitely not going to do a GDL to land a TC at a local firm. So alas, I guess there's not much point in doing a GDL.

I'm sorry it's not better news :frown: certainly there is that 2.1 filter for the large London firms...
Reply 13
RUBBISH. Yuck yuck yuck. It's what you know (nearly always, and those ******s who 'succeed' through nepotism should be shot) thank god, as otherwise I wouldn't stand a chance.

OP - I think you would be better off not doing the GDL. The market is only going to become more competitive. You never know, really succeed at something else and you might stand a chance of moving into law later on, if it's what you really want.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's just that I hate disappointing my parents (esp. my mom). We're from Hong Kong so its not surprising that alot of my friends are in MC firms, top Ibanks, etc. The pressure is HUGE. Damnit, I KNEW I should have done Law at KCL and achieved a 2:1 instead.
Reply 15
prettyanxious
It's just that I hate disappointing my parents (esp. my mom). We're from Hong Kong so its not surprising that alot of my friends are in MC firms, top Ibanks, etc. The pressure is HUGE. Damnit, I KNEW I should have done Law at KCL and achieved a 2:1 instead.

You are going to do yourself a huge disservice if you do the GDL/LPC and do not get a job at the end of it. The qualifications on their own are a waste of time, money and (a small amount of) energy. I know that pressure (both internal and external) can be massive, but at the end of the day the only person who you can really rely on to make the decision is yourself.
As someone said earlier, it does not really matter to have a 2:2 at BPP but the pb is to get a training contract afterwards...

Focusing on grades is a method of selection like any other ones. Unfortunately more and more people get a 2:1 nowadays and the law firms have to distingiush amongs the best...

You will find the market even more competitive in the City, they even require a 2.1 for paralegal jobs!
prettyanxious

What did you do at KCL?

The City "lifestyle" is pretty hardcore and in my view not something you should undertake just to please your parents, even if you did have a 2.1. I think you should focus on your talents - what do you excel at? And what do you really enjoy? Because even assuming you should try to please your parents, being one of the best at anything brings status and money, and surely it would be better to do something you like/are good at than simply something you think sounds good? It's your life, your parents have their own lives and they can do what they like...I know what Asian parents can be like though so I do sympathise...my father is from a similar culture and tried to force me one way but I went the other and not only am I happier, he's happy too now and I think he respects me more for it...
It's just annoying they don't look at the whole application. I know I can't expect them too, but it just frustrates me. It's amazing how people with the exact same grades in high school can end up in completely different situations post-graduation. :frown:
prettyanxious
It's just annoying they don't look at the whole application. I know I can't expect them too, but it just frustrates me. It's amazing how people with the exact same grades in high school can end up in completely different situations post-graduation. :frown:

I posted ten seconds before you if you wanna read it :smile: