BPP with a 2:2? Watch

Rancorous
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Didn't you say that your house burnt down the day before the exam? Or something to that effect...involving your personal health/ family members/ beloved pets? Why didn't you tell them your mitigating circumstances and await their response? It couldn't possibly hurt. Otherwise it's pretty much 100% certain they won't seriously look at you.

There are plenty of other good firms out there though. If, of course, your heart is set on law, one of the most competitive and soul crushing jobs available, and not on anything else.
Rancorous
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Julia - I would have only highlighted 'fairly'
Nana_Julia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rancorous)
Didn't you say that your house burnt down the day before the exam? Or something to that effect...involving your personal health/ family members/ beloved pets? Why didn't you tell them your mitigating circumstances and await their response? It couldn't possibly hurt.
Don't do this at home kids...
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I very much doubt a beloved pet would cut the mustard ... they're a bit stricter than that I would imagine.
Ishtar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kalokagathia)
Come to think of it, they never acknowledged the VS application I made in my first year either. Should have brought that up with Shaun.. :p:
Actually, I *think* that they did acknowledge your VS application from first year - I have a weird memory of you showing me the letter when I made fun of you for applying to such firms when you were about 16...

Which makes me feel a lot better. They acknowledge you with little more than a A level or two to your name, and I had about 12 law degrees by that point and still nothing!
Ishtar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I-Claudia)
To be a lawyer you just have to be able to string 2 sentences together.
Quite. But to be a good lawyer, you have to have a number of skills. A couple that spring to mind are:

the ability to do the most basic of work quickly (must work on this, Claudia),

a personality (with all those happy hours spent bent over one section of the CA, you seem to have let this one slip a bit too. oops).
kalokagathia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nana_Julia)
*bowled over by kalokagathia's fulsome flattery* :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
Haha.. Sorry! Don't know why I added the qualifying adverb. I do very much like the phrase "fulsome flattery" by the way. Will have to add it to my list of words-and-phrases-which-are-so-good-I-specifically-engineer-conversations-in-order-to-utilise-them..
prettyanxious
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So to get a headstart, if I want to go the GDL path eventually, what type of firms should I be looking at to get some experience this summer/Christmas? Obviously not the MC firms or top firms, but medium-sized firms with a global name, or boutique law firms (preferably w/ a global name as well, I need to be able to do it in Hong Kong). Are there any firms that like politics/history/IR grads? Or any firms that take an interest in international law? I'm just typing off the top of my head, and don't know alot about law firms, so excuse my ignorance.
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Solemn Wanderer)
What's with the phrase 'cut the mustard'? :confused: Mustard isn't hard to cut at all. But lol Lewisy-boy's post reminds me of when we had an exam briefing from our oh-so-dry exams officer. It was something like, "If you bring a fluffy toy it will probably be confiscated by a fascist invigilator - and you wouldn't want that to happen to your loved ones would you!"

Too bad for Ms Julia that kalokagathia doesn't know how to flatter a lady properly
Isn't kalokagathia a girl? I have no basis for this opinion except that he/she often talks sense...
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Solemn Wanderer)
What's with the phrase 'cut the mustard'? :confused: Mustard isn't hard to cut at all. But lol Lewisy-boy's post reminds me of when we had an exam briefing from our oh-so-dry exams officer. It was something like, "If you bring a fluffy toy it will probably be confiscated by a fascist invigilator - and you wouldn't want that to happen to your loved ones would you!"

Too bad for Ms Julia that kalokagathia doesn't know how to flatter a lady properly
CUT THE MUSTARD -- From "Listening to America" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, 1982), "Mustard came into English in the 13th century from the French (going back to Latin mustum, grape juice, originally used for mixing ground mustard seeds into a paste). By the War of 1812 'mustard seed shot' was an American term for small-gauge shot. Between 1900 and 1910, when commercially bottled mustard became popular, 'mustard' appeared in several slang expressions that used the strength of the condiment as a metaphor: 'to be the proper mustard' meant to be the genuine article, 'to be all mustard' meant to be excellent, and 'to be up to the mustard' and 'to cut the mustard' both meant to come up to expectations. Since World War I the last expression has been used almost exclusively in the negative 'he can't cut the mustard' - and among many men is used to mean unable to have an erection, to be unable to perform sexually."

From the "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" (Second Edition, HarperCollins, 1977) by William and Mary Morris: "cut the mustard -- was originally a Western expression, popular among cowboys during the late nineteenth century. If something was 'the proper mustard,' it was O.K., the genuine article. Andy Adams used the expression this way in his famous 'Log of a Cowboy,' when he wrote that 'for fear the two dogs were not the proper mustard, he had that dog man sue him in court to make him prove the pedigree.' And Carl Sandburg once wrote: 'Kid each other, you cheapskates. Tell each other you're all to the mustard." Then expression cut the mustard then came into vogue."
ssk2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So to get a headstart, if I want to go the GDL path eventually, what type of firms should I be looking at to get some experience this summer/Christmas? Obviously not the MC firms or top firms, but medium-sized firms with a global name, or boutique law firms (preferably w/ a global name as well, I need to be able to do it in Hong Kong). Are there any firms that like politics/history/IR grads? Or any firms that take an interest in international law? I'm just typing off the top of my head, and don't know alot about law firms, so excuse my ignorance.
Again, sorry to be harsh, but maybe you should spend some time doing some of your own research and what it actually is to be a City lawyer? Work experience in London is very hard to come by, most, if not all City firms (and regional ones) have 'vacation schemes' which are massively over subscribed and have a rigorous application procedure. Getting on these with a 2:ii is going to be difficult, just as getting a TC with a 2:ii is going to difficult - there's simply so much competition! Firms won't prefer IR or politics grads, anymore than they prefer any other type of degree, they just care that you know your stuff!
Ishtar
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Isn't kalokagathia a girl? I have no basis for this opinion except that he/she often talks sense...

Brilliant!
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for explaining my terminology to this uneducated fool who goes by 'solemn wanderer' . We had a very similar thing for mascots said at my school. However, I can kind of agree with the policy as it's kind of lame to have a fluffy bear on your desk; is that going to help you get an A, really? Grow up children, it's GCSEs/A-levels for goodness sake [rant over].

As for the thing about work experience, I doubt you'll get any in London, just the way it is I'm afraid.
prettyanxious
(Original post by ssk2)
Again, sorry to be harsh, but maybe you should spend some time doing some of your own research and what it actually is to be a City lawyer? Work experience in London is very hard to come by, most, if not all City firms (and regional ones) have 'vacation schemes' which are massively over subscribed and have a rigorous application procedure. Getting on these with a 2:ii is going to be difficult, just as getting a TC with a 2:ii is going to difficult - there's simply so much competition! Firms won't prefer IR or politics grads, anymore than they prefer any other type of degree, they just care that you know your stuff!
I think I know how hard it is to get into vac schemes, which is why I'm wondering what kind of firms are more feasible. And btw, for the umpteenth time, I'm talking about TCs and vac schemes in Hong Kong, not London!!!!! But I guess no one would know anything about it on this board.
prettyanxious
(Original post by Lewisy-boy)
Thanks for explaining my terminology to this uneducated fool who goes by 'solemn wanderer' . We had a very similar thing for mascots said at my school. However, I can kind of agree with the policy as it's kind of lame to have a fluffy bear on your desk; is that going to help you get an A, really? Grow up children, it's GCSEs/A-levels for goodness sake [rant over].

As for the thing about work experience, I doubt you'll get any in London, just the way it is I'm afraid.
Again, HK HK HK HK HK, not London! Sorry if that was rude.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh sorry,,, I guess no-one really knows but I do know someone who got a TC (or equivalent whatever it's called) in HK with a 2.2 from Nottingham with Bakers... which is probably rare.
prettyanxious
(Original post by Lewisy-boy)
Oh sorry,,, I guess no-one really knows but I do know someone who got a TC (or equivalent whatever it's called) in HK with a 2.2 from Nottingham with Bakers... which is probably rare.
Wait, I think I know the same person....I always thought it was rumor, but I guess its true....?
kalokagathia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For you, my dear, I can be whatever you want me to be..
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (200)
43.57%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (143)
31.15%
I don't have an opinion (116)
25.27%

Watched Threads