The Student Room Group

Preferred name on ID card?

I’m a trans guy and I signed up with a preferred name at Uni because my new tutors told me my legal name would be on there, but everything else online tells me that it will be my preferred name. Thing is my parents don’t know I’m trans yet and my preferred name would definitely raise questions if they see it. Does anyone have any experience with choosing a preferred name? Is it on your ID card? Should I call up my uni and explain the situation? Thanks!
My friend has her nickname Kate on her student card, instead of her legal first name Katherine.
But her bank account, student finance paperwork and passport still say Katherine.
If you want to always use your preferred name, best thing to do is change your name legally with a deed poll or a statutory declaration.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
My friend has her nickname Kate on her student card, instead of her legal first name Katherine.
But her bank account, student finance paperwork and passport still say Katherine.
If you want to always use your preferred name, best thing to do is change your name legally with a deed poll or a statutory declaration.

Damn, it’s definitely gonna be on my ID card then. The problem isn’t that I want my preferred name on everything, it’s that I was hoping it wouldn’t be because my parents don’t know about it. My tutors told me it would be my legal name but it’s looking like they were wrong. Thanks for the reply, hopefully I can sort something out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending