The Student Room Group

Moments - direction of rotation?

How do I know when moments of forces are cw or acw?

I’m doing questions where there are 2 forces acting with one pointing north west and one pointing north east rather than up and down.

Thanks
Original post by sacha.j.marques

I’m doing questions where there are 2 forces acting with one pointing north west and one pointing north east rather than up and down.

Thanks

Depends... which force is stronger?
Original post by RDKGames
Depends... which force is stronger?

The north east one. The pivot connecting them is more to the left that the right
The north east one. The pivot connecting them is more to the left that the right

OK, it's best if you post the given diagram.

Thanks

I usually try to imagine the movement in my head. So firstly work out roughly what point the object will turn around and then think about which direction each individual force on its own would cause rotation in. If all these forces would individually produce rotation in the same direction, then clearly the object will rotate in that direction. Otherwise work out whether the anticlockwise moments are overall larger than the clockwise moments. The object will rotate in the direction in which the total moment is largest.

Quick Reply

Latest