Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have been suffering from depression for the past 6 months, along with lots of Thyroid problems.
    Its meant I have had to take alot of time of school because I have been suffering from fatigue. I'm talking at least a day a week here and sometimes weeks at a time.

My doctor has written my school a note about all this, explaining that my problems may have had a large impact on my learning, ability to retain information etc.

Is it worth passing the letter on to the exam boards? My school insist it is, but I've heard they dont really take depression into consideration.

Does anyone know the facts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can get a medical note, notify your examiner and some course of action will be taken into consideration for 'special consideration' where the examiner will mark leniently but only to a slight extent

ReputationRep:
    get your head of 6th form to deal with it, thats their job. exam boards should def take depression into consideration if your GP says it's tangible.

ReputationRep:
    YES you should pass it on, because it sounds like what's happening to you is physical as well as mental.

Hope things improve sooner rather than later

ReputationRep:
    DEFINITELY pass it on. I actually had a very similar scenario to you (depression, chronic fatigue and hypothyroidism which was compounded by the prescriptions they gave me) and the exam board were sympathetic. It didn't translate into mitigations for the marking, but they did make allowances when I was sitting my exams - extra time if i needed it, to compensate for the concentration problems, sitting the papers in a side room, sugary drinks, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Basically I have been suffering from depression for the past 6 months, along with lots of Thyroid problems.
    Its meant I have had to take alot of time of school because I have been suffering from fatigue. I'm talking at least a day a week here and sometimes weeks at a time.

My doctor has written my school a note about all this, explaining that my problems may have had a large impact on my learning, ability to retain information etc.

Is it worth passing the letter on to the exam boards? My school insist it is, but I've heard they dont really take depression into consideration.

I really don't know why you wouldn't do it...

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether it would be worth it as I have been told that it would not really make any difference at all.
    I've also heard that some examiners actually mark candidates with medical notes more harshly as they believe they are just making excuses for the lack of good quality work.

ReputationRep:
    Our exams officer told us that someone's hamster died last year on the morning on her exam and so she got awarded an extra 5 marks (which is the highest they can do), for the exam that was on that day! For a hamster!!

Which is ridiculous given my circumstances during my GCSEs, however if they were that lenient towards her, I'm sure they will take your circumstances into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    Our exams officer told us that someone's hamster died last year on the morning on her exam and so she got awarded an extra 5 marks (which is the highest they can do), for the exam that was on that day! For a hamster!!
    How did they prove that the hamster had died that morning??
    I mean you can't really get evidence of that!

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone gets told that Pcok lol, we got told a very very similar story too :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vjyrik)
    They can give you extra time if you feel you need it in the exam.
    I feel I need extra exam in every time, as I have too much to write in the stupid 1 hour limits lol.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering whether it would be worth it as I have been told that it would not really make any difference at all.
    I've also heard that some examiners actually mark candidates with medical notes more harshly as they believe they are just making excuses for the lack of good quality work.
    If you have medical evidence, it would be extraordinarily unprofessional for an examiner to use that as grist for their prejudices. Having known several senior A-level examiners, they were all human beings with as much sympathy as anyone, and more to the point, they are very heavily constrained by some highly restrictive markschemes which make subjectivity on the part of examiners nigh on impossible (which is both a good and a bad thing, but it makes it highly unlikely that an individual marker would affect things).

Incidentally, one of my cousins died right before the exams, and her sister who was sitting her A-levels at the same time as me was also granted mitigation. The exam boards are flexible and they recognise that individual circumstances come into play. I would suggest very strongly that you need to inform them, and possibly Sheffield and Birmingham too - if nothing else, you are covering your back in the unlikely event that you underperform in your exams and miss your grades. The universities are far more likely to grant you leniency if you've informed them beforehand that you're going through a blip at the moment.

Please feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything further.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too worried about extra time. I'm usually fine in the actual exam hall I'm more worried about missing out on my grades to get into Uni by a small amount without them taking the fact ive been ill into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too worried about extra time. I'm usually fine in the actual exam hall I'm more worried about missing out on my grades to get into Uni by a small amount without them taking the fact ive been ill into consideration.
    Then you definitely need to speak to the departments at Sheffield and Birmingham. I promise you they won't bite.

ReputationRep:
    That is probably more for the consideration of your unis then. Get your school to email them and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    Now I wonder... Since I'm sooo slow in writing essays, maybe they'd let me do my economics in a longer time space? I have three friggin' hours of essay writing.... :mad: I'm not an essay type of a person at all
    Hehe t'is a good idea :p:

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that it's for people who are dyslexic, for example...
    hear gous my eenglesh!!!111... :rolleyes:
    It can be quite stupid actually. My mate was diagnosed with dyslexia years ago, but he hasn't got it anymore (I'm not sure whether it was just a misdiagnosis in the first case perhaps), but as he hasn't told the school this, they give him extra time in his exams stilL! Like another 15 mins or something, think how much more you could write in 15 mins from a 1 hour exam!

ReputationRep:
    Pass it on without a doubt. Your school will know the best thing to do and if this is the advice you've been given then do it.

Hope you start to feel better soon. ;console; x

ReputationRep:

I hate to sound nasty but if you was given extra marks for suffering with depression then i would be in shock. why would they give a candidate that is mentally unstable a free ride into university it sounds like your a capable enough student judging by your AS grades. The only way that you will have allowances are if a close family member died or there is something seriously wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    lucasm, you're an idiot. Depression is incredibly serious and can affect you physically as much as mentally.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.