The Student Room Group

I'm stuck, I want to do medicine but am I capable?

So I’m really stuck.
I want to do medicine so bad! My results at the end of last year were A,A and D. I got the D in chemistry. I was hoping I could improve it and resit a different test last week and got a C.
I don’t know if I’ll be able to move my C up to an A or not, it’s probably not fair. I know what I struggle in, which is more of the maths part than the actual content.
It’s just a shame because I’ve been practising my UKcats a lot, did pretty well in my other subjects and got lots of work experience at hospitals.
Should I look at alternative courses instead, or apply somewhere in Eastern Europe.
anyone please help
get the A prediction if you can, since you know what you have to improve on. If you can't, work really hard and get at least AAA in a levels and take a gap year and apply with your achieved grades.
Original post by hello2906
get the A prediction if you can, since you know what you have to improve on. If you can't, work really hard and get at least AAA in a levels and take a gap year and apply with your achieved grades.

Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by salmamahmoud
So I’m really stuck.
I want to do medicine so bad! My results at the end of last year were A,A and D. I got the D in chemistry. I was hoping I could improve it and resit a different test last week and got a C.
I don’t know if I’ll be able to move my C up to an A or not, it’s probably not fair. I know what I struggle in, which is more of the maths part than the actual content.
It’s just a shame because I’ve been practising my UKcats a lot, did pretty well in my other subjects and got lots of work experience at hospitals.
Should I look at alternative courses instead, or apply somewhere in Eastern Europe.
anyone please help

Eastern Europe sounds like a wonderful option. I don't see why aspirational doctors feel so tied to Britain. You can be just as successful as a doctor in another country. Being a good doctor doesn't depend on grades, it depends on your aptitude and your experience.
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
Eastern Europe sounds like a wonderful option. I don't see why aspirational doctors feel so tied to Britain. You can be just as successful as a doctor in another country. Being a good doctor doesn't depend on grades, it depends on your aptitude and your experience.

I completely agree :smile: My dad graduated from medical school in Egypt and he works here just as well as any other doctor graduated from the UK. It's really just that I'm worried I won't ever feel comfortable moving, learning a new language and the overall expense.
Original post by Psychedeliyaa

What i'm about to say is not true for all cases but: people that tend to study medicine abroad don't have the same reputation and employability prospects once they graduate as those that'd studied in the UK.
This is because the entry standards are generally lower in Europe. I know people that got EEE at A-Level who got accepted in Lithuania for medicine. Sure it's true that at the end of the day you learn pretty much the same stuff, but in the eyes of your employer, EEE isn't acceptable for A-Levels and so they'll probably only take this person if they're desperate.

Overall, OP has good AS Results and just needs to work on one subject, so don't get worried too much. You're easily capable of getting minimum AAA/A*AA. If I were in your situation, i'd try my hardest to get AAA at A-Level and then take a gap year before re-applying. This way, you could still get into a good uni without the feeling of home-sickness or worry about whether the international degree from a not-so-good university will impact your future.
Original post by Grade A
What i'm about to say is not true for all cases but: people that tend to study medicine abroad don't have the same reputation and employability prospects once they graduate as those that'd studied in the UK.
This is because the entry standards are generally lower in Europe. I know people that got EEE at A-Level who got accepted in Lithuania for medicine. Sure it's true that at the end of the day you learn pretty much the same stuff, but in the eyes of your employer, EEE isn't acceptable for A-Levels and so they'll probably only take this person if they're desperate.

Overall, OP has good AS Results and just needs to work on one subject, so don't get worried too much. You're easily capable of getting minimum AAA/A*AA. If I were in your situation, i'd try my hardest to get AAA at A-Level and then take a gap year before re-applying. This way, you could still get into a good uni without the feeling of home-sickness or worry about whether the international degree from a not-so-good university will impact your future.

Thank you so much for replying and I will try my hardest anyway to get AAA. The idea of moving somewhere is really intimdating and now that I've heard it might discredit me getting a job in the future I'll leave it as my last resort.
Thank you so much for replying and I will try my hardest anyway to get AAA. The idea of moving somewhere is really intimdating and now that I've heard it might discredit me getting a job in the future I'll leave it as my last resort.

You shouldn't discourage yourself- the chance isn't over yet. I'd only go abroad as a last resort. You've still got all the time you need to get the top grades :smile:
Original post by Grade A
You shouldn't discourage yourself- the chance isn't over yet. I'd only go abroad as a last resort. You've still got all the time you need to get the top grades :smile:

Thanks, I'll try my best :smile: You've really given some confidence in me and I believe I could achieve those grade but only if I put the work into it
Thanks, I'll try my best :smile: You've really given some confidence in me and I believe I could achieve those grade but only if I put the work into it

Nice to hear know that you feel more motivated now. There's no one stopping you except yourself. Now stop wasting your time and go get those A*s:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest