Failed first year of university and i'm not sure what to do HELP ????

Watch
ron202
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry it's a bit long

Basically what happened is I failed my 1st year of university , I passed 2 of my 5 modules and got 45 credits in total when I needed 90 credits in total to pass the year. I took the resit in August and the results came out around the middle of September I think the 13th or 14th. However my university gave me some conflicting information because they gave me my timetable for the second year of university so I mistakenly believed that I passed the year and on top of that in the 3 modules that I failed I got between 30-39% and in one of them I got 28% so 2 of them were fairly close to the 40% pass mark and the university has a policy stating that "The university will award compensation in up to 30 credits of modules for module mks between 30-39 per cent inclusive to allow students to progress."

However the thing that is really annoying is that because I was given my university timetable for the second year and because my grades in the failed modules were close to the 40% pass mark I mistakenly believed that I had passed the year and when I had official confirmation that I had failed because the timetable for the second year my removed from the university website this was on the 19th September and I found out on the 23rd of September that the last date for applying for a university place for this year on UCAS was on the 20th of September. So essentially I have no university place for this year and i'm unable to apply for a different university and my accommodation is already paid for and i'm not sure what to do. If I had official confirmation that I failed earlier everything would have been fine because I would have had sufficient time to apply for a different university but I only had one day which I was unaware of at the time but even if I had know I don't think 1 day to essentially apply for university is a sufficient amount of time to make an important decision like that that.

So I emailed my course leader asking if I could retake the year and she said I could only retake the year if I had special circumstances which caused me to fail and that if I wanted to take a different course I had to wait 2 years to apply again but once I had knowledge of the dates on which I found out I failed and the last date to apply for a university place through clearing I asked if I could retake the year again she hasn't gotten back to me and that was 2 days ago.

Do you think I could call the UCAS people and ask them if there's a way I could still apply for a 2018 university course or anything like that ? I know I screwed myself over by failing in the first place but I feel that the university also screwed me over by giving me my timetable for the second year when I had actually failed. I realised that my second year timetable had been removed and then I called the university for some confirmation and that's when I found out I failed when as far as I know what I was supposed to receive and email on the 13th or 14th when the results came out telling me my grades so I shouldn't have had to call the university to find out my results officially.

Any help is greatly appreciated , thank you
duofoldreborn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how do you fail the first year of uni
User8612
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ron202)
Sorry it's a bit long

Basically what happened is I failed my 1st year of university , I passed 2 of my 5 modules and got 45 credits in total when I needed 90 credits in total to pass the year. I took the resit in August and the results came out around the middle of September I think the 13th or 14th. However my university gave me some conflicting information because they gave me my timetable for the second year of university so I mistakenly believed that I passed the year and on top of that in the 3 modules that I failed I got between 30-39% and in one of them I got 28% so 2 of them were fairly close to the 40% pass mark and the university has a policy stating that "The university will award compensation in up to 30 credits of modules for module mks between 30-39 per cent inclusive to allow students to progress."

However the thing that is really annoying is that because I was given my university timetable for the second year and because my grades in the failed modules were close to the 40% pass mark I mistakenly believed that I had passed the year and when I had official confirmation that I had failed because the timetable for the second year my removed from the university website this was on the 19th September and I found out on the 23rd of September that the last date for applying for a university place for this year on UCAS was on the 20th of September. So essentially I have no university place for this year and i'm unable to apply for a different university and my accommodation is already paid for and i'm not sure what to do. If I had official confirmation that I failed earlier everything would have been fine because I would have had sufficient time to apply for a different university but I only had one day which I was unaware of at the time but even if I had know I don't think 1 day to essentially apply for university is a sufficient amount of time to make an important decision like that that.

So I emailed my course leader asking if I could retake the year and she said I could only retake the year if I had special circumstances which caused me to fail and that if I wanted to take a different course I had to wait 2 years to apply again but once I had knowledge of the dates on which I found out I failed and the last date to apply for a university place through clearing I asked if I could retake the year again she hasn't gotten back to me and that was 2 days ago.

Do you think I could call the UCAS people and ask them if there's a way I could still apply for a 2018 university course or anything like that ? I know I screwed myself over by failing in the first place but I feel that the university also screwed me over by giving me my timetable for the second year when I had actually failed. I realised that my second year timetable had been removed and then I called the university for some confirmation and that's when I found out I failed when as far as I know what I was supposed to receive and email on the 13th or 14th when the results came out telling me my grades so I shouldn't have had to call the university to find out my results officially.

Any help is greatly appreciated , thank you
I think you need to stop fixating on this timetable issue, and start focusing on figuring out why you failed first year. It may actually turn out to be a very good thing that you didn't find out your grades in time to apply to start a new course at a new university straight away. My advice would be to spend the year working and earning some money, doing some reading for the course you want to take, and figuring out what went wrong so that you are in a stronger position to start afresh in September 2019.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads