Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking to register for a catered room in endcliffe. What would you suggest? Which has the best social life? I have already seen some from here http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/halls/endcliffe but i am not sure what to choose.

ReputationRep:
    ive applied for endcliffe self catered, i think its probaly better as you can buy into the catered package if you want, but also you have the freedom/indipendance of cooking for your self.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone find anything or provide some information on the catered package you can buy into if you are a self catered student. Always found this confusing... I presume this is the dinewithUS scheme?

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure about the buying into it scheme, as I was in catered accom. but got moved to Endcliffe self-catered after Christmas. The food is good tho, loads of variety and the £30 we get on it a week is the perfect amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drdimmer)
    Can anyone find anything or provide some information on the catered package you can buy into if you are a self catered student. Always found this confusing... I presume this is the dinewithUS scheme?
    I've posted this elsewhere on TSR, but it seems relevant here...
    When I visited Endcliffe in late March, I was told by Lesley Wood (the Student Office Manager) that from next year, if you put 'Endcliffe Self-Catered' as your first choice and 'Endcliffe Catered' as your second, there will be an option for people to technically be self-catered, but have some of the benefits of catered (i.e. prepaid food card that you can use in food places all over the uni, including in the Union).
    ...I'm not sure if that's the dinewithUS scheme, though.

ReputationRep:
    yep that is the dinewithus scheme. So basically if you do get selfcatered you can buy a smartcard( its what we called them at school, but basically card with money on to buy food) and pretty much be catered that way, and should it all go to plan you will be able to buy stuff at dinewithus cafes and whatnot across campus which I know they had issues with this year.

If however you do just want a flat out catered hall blatantly choose Stephenson and if you'r feeling all high and mighty go for carrysbrook court. but yeh I'd say Stevo over Fax

ReputationRep:
    Cheers . I did choose accomodation in that order luckily. I just hope the schemes gets working well this year.

ReputationRep:
    I have seen people using their cards to buy stuff in the ic cafe, so im guessing theyve sorted it by now?

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, you know the new Endcliffe apartments (Howden, Cratcliffe, Froggatt.. etc.) are they only for self-catering? Because that's what it implies on the website.. but I'm planning on catered accomodation and really wanted to be in these ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestUsernameEver)
    I have a question, you know the new Endcliffe apartments (Howden, Cratcliffe, Froggatt.. etc.) are they only for self-catering? Because that's what it implies on the website.. but I'm planning on catered accomodation and really wanted to be in these ones.
    they are designed for self catering yes. but you can apply to these and buy a meal card which will give you the £31 a week that the catered lot get. If you want the new ones because of the ensuite, look at Jonas Court and Carrysbrook Court (i recommend carrysbrook over jonas) as these are both Ensuite and Catered, and very nice actually. and the price of them I think actually works out to somethgin very similar that applying got self catered and getting a meal card would cost you.

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying for a deluxe room as i need a bigger bed to sleep well ( i am 6'6") but i was wondering if anyone who is currently in these rooms or knows someone in them has any thoughts?

Is it a good idea? or will is it a bad idea for any reason i am not aware of?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh - sorry to tag onto your post Thomas! - just wanted to ask (if anyone knows) are the rooms that they provide for disabled people deluxe? Or are they just normal ensuite ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas McDowall)
    I am thinking of applying for a deluxe room as i need a bigger bed to sleep well ( i am 6'6") but i was wondering if anyone who is currently in these rooms or knows someone in them has any thoughts?

Is it a good idea? or will is it a bad idea for any reason i am not aware of?
    i have two friends one is 6'5 the other is 6'7 both have standard beds. its a bit to get used to but its fine for them. and i'd say sacrifice that bit of extra room for a few more flatmates. you can always get a house 2nd and 3rd year with double bed in. My room in the house we have next year has a queen size in and the girl upstairs has a huge kingsize bed (she is paying a lil more than me tho haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathy, Ace from Space)
    Ooh - sorry to tag onto your post Thomas! - just wanted to ask (if anyone knows) are the rooms that they provide for disabled people deluxe? Or are they just normal ensuite ones?
    i don't think their deluxe as such but they will be bigger becuase their designed to get wheelchairs in and out of and get round the bathroom and use the toilet etc etc so sizewise they may be very similar to a deluxe room but if only because of neccessity for space not for the deluxe "Luxury" lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    i don't think their deluxe as such but they will be bigger becuase their designed to get wheelchairs in and out of and get round the bathroom and use the toilet etc etc so sizewise they may be very similar to a deluxe room but if only because of neccessity for space not for the deluxe "Luxury" lol
    Okay, thanks! I'm used to a small-ish room anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Uh, just applied for the self-catered Endcliffe room :P
    I DO hope it's gonna be nice (and not TOO far from the classrooms ;P)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikel)
    Uh, just applied for the self-catered Endcliffe room :P
    I DO hope it's gonna be nice (and not TOO far from the classrooms ;P)...
    wahey you do my course lovely jubbly!

ReputationRep:
    Yup yup yup, we're gonna rule the world quite soon !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    i have two friends one is 6'5 the other is 6'7 both have standard beds. its a bit to get used to but its fine for them. and i'd say sacrifice that bit of extra room for a few more flatmates. you can always get a house 2nd and 3rd year with double bed in. My room in the house we have next year has a queen size in and the girl upstairs has a huge kingsize bed (she is paying a lil more than me tho haha)
    so deluxe rooms mean less people per flat?
    how many people generally in a flat with standard rooms at endcliffe?
    also, in the new apartments, how many flats are there to a floor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katycakes)
    so deluxe rooms mean less people per flat?
    how many people generally in a flat with standard rooms at endcliffe?
    also, in the new apartments, how many flats are there to a floor?
    these questions would be a lot easier to answer if there was a generic answer.
    but for sure deluxe flats have less people the biggest deluxe flat i've seen is 4people. the smallest standard flat i've seen is 6 and the biggest 10.
    each block differs, ie in Burbage we have blocks A, B, C/D, E/F so B has 1 flat of 8 per floor so 32 overall, but C/D have two flats of 6 perfloor or 5 floors so 60 people. but then like Derwent F/G has 5 floors of 2 flats per floor of 16 per floor (a 10 and a 6) so 80 people overall, so their all very different lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.