Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just unconditionally accepted top the University of Essex after an interview and a reference from my previous university, and I am absolutely over the moon.
    Could not be happier.

Until, i recieved a letter this morning asking me to send them copies of my qualification certificates. I haven't got them.
    The letter states that it will change over UCAS- which it has- and i can accept this offer, but cannot register with the Uni until I have sent them these things.

Will it be such a big deal?
    I really want to go there, and i think it would be silly for such a trivia thing to stand in my way, surely?
    What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to the university and explain you don't have them. Ask if they will accept a reference from the instituiton that you gained your qualifications at, or see if the awarding bodies can give you official copies. Assuming you did A Level, you won't get your certificates, but you will get another copy of your results slip. (For a charge)

ReputationRep:
    So ignoring it and hoping it goes away won't work? ha!
    They have a reference from my college/high school and previous university, hopefully they will not worry aboiut the certificates because I don't think I'll be able to get copies, I was told by my college that I won't recieve any.
    I just feel like so much hassle has gone into them accepting me- interviews and waiting on references and such, then they will not accept me because of this.

ReputationRep:
    You can get copies of your exam certificates but you'll have to pay for them - I lost mine and it was £35 per exam board for a 'statement of results'. I don't think there's any other way of 'proving' your results etc ...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kelli :))
    So ignoring it and hoping it goes away won't work? ha!
    They have a reference from my college/high school and previous university, hopefully they will not worry aboiut the certificates because I don't think I'll be able to get copies, I was told by my college that I won't recieve any.
    I just feel like so much hassle has gone into them accepting me- interviews and waiting on references and such, then they will not accept me because of this.
    If it's part of your offer, that's the worst thing you can do. Talk to the university and ask whether they really HAVE to have the certificates,* but if they insist, you'll just have to pay up and get copies from the exam board(s).

*Even if they say they'll let you in without the certificates, make sure you get this in writing.

ReputationRep:
    Is this common btw? I thought they'd only want to see A level certs.

ReputationRep:
    I believe thats all they want, but I don't have them. I feel a bit silly, but we've just downsided and in the move, everything that i didn't take to my last university with me, got thrown away stupidly by my mother.
    Not impressed.

Thanks everyone.
    I dread writing this email to the admissions department, but i guess it has to be done.
    Anyone know how i can word it to soften the blow and not make me seem totally disorganised?

ReputationRep:
    Just say they have got lost/mislaid in the move - it's a common thing to happen. That's how I lost mine, I swear I'll find them one day but it was easier to pay to get the replacements than it was to try and find the damn things ...

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.