The Student Room Group

Will Error in UCAS form cost me offers?

I made a small mistake in my application saying I completed an AS level in 2017 rather than 2018. Is this likely to cost me offers?
Have you submitted the application already? You might want to contact UCAS and query if they can correct this, however my understanding is once the application is submitted neither you nor they can edit it...but as it's before all the deadlines, they may be able to do something...@PQ?

The only situation I can think of where it might be an issue is if you're applying to medicine and they believe you are sitting your A-levels over three years. This may well be a problem for some medical schools if they believe that is the case.

Your academic reference might be able to note you are sitting them in the usual 2 year timeframe in their reference, although I guess "my student made a mistake, but you should still take them" is a bit of an awkward reference.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Have you submitted the application already? You might want to contact UCAS and query if they can correct this, however my understanding is once the application is submitted neither you nor they can edit it...but as it's before all the deadlines, they may be able to do something...@PQ?

The only situation I can think of where it might be an issue is if you're applying to medicine and they believe you are sitting your A-levels over three years. This may well be a problem for some medical schools if they believe that is the case.

Your academic reference might be able to note you are sitting them in the usual 2 year timeframe in their reference, although I guess "my student made a mistake, but you should still take them" is a bit of an awkward reference.

As Levels no longer count towards the A-level qualification.(it was a stand-alone qualification which I dropped.) I am going to query with UCAS otherwise I may have to email every uni( I'm afraid this will cost me as the courses are competitive) . I am applying for economics.

And yeah my application has been sent off.
Original post by John19790
I made a small mistake in my application saying I completed an AS level in 2017 rather than 2018. Is this likely to cost me offers?

Check if your application is with your referee or whether it has been sent to ucas yet. Your referee can send it back (and should have spotted the error and sent it back as part of their standard process).

If it has gone to ucas then you need to wait for your Track login to arrive and then email [email protected] with your application number and the amendments to your qualifications. Once ucas confirm that they’ve corrected your application you need to contact each of your 5 choices directly and notify them of the correction.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Check if your application is with your referee or whether it has been sent to ucas yet. Your referee can send it back (and should have spotted the error and sent it back as part of their standard process).

If it has gone to ucas then you need to wait for your Track login to arrive and then email [email protected] with your application number and the amendments to your qualifications. Once ucas confirm that they’ve corrected your application you need to contact each of your 5 choices directly and notify them of the correction.

It has been sent to UCAS as I've received acknowledgment of receipt. Will the fact I have to email the choices disadvantage me? ( I look disorganised compared to people who made no mistakes and it's a competitive course)
Thanks for your help!
As Levels no longer count towards the A-level qualification.(it was a stand-alone qualification which I dropped.) I am going to query with UCAS otherwise I may have to email every uni( I'm afraid this will cost me as the courses are competitive) . I am applying for economics.

And yeah my application has been sent off.

It’s unlikely that the person making a decision on your application will even know about the amendment. The admissions staff that deal with qualifications know that mistakes happen. Your referee will have ticked a box stating that they’ve checked that your qualifications were all entered correctly so it might affect your school more than you if the university thinks that they’re not checking applications properly or supporting their applicants
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
It’s unlikely that the person making a decision on your application will even know about the amendment. The admissions staff that deal with qualifications know that mistakes happen. Your referee will have ticked a box stating that they’ve checked that your qualifications were all entered correctly so it might affect your school more than you if the university thinks that they’re not checking applications properly or supporting their applicants

Thank you a lot. So even for Oxford, it won't really affect me? I am just stressed out at the embarrassment of having to email them.
It has been sent to UCAS as I've received acknowledgment of receipt. Will the fact I have to email the choices disadvantage me? ( I look disorganised compared to people who made no mistakes and it's a competitive course)
Thanks for your help!

See post 6.

You don’t really have a choice now. If you leave it then the incorrect information will be spotted when results come through from the exam boards at which point universities have been known to withdraw offers because of technical errors in listing qualifications.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
See post 6.

You don’t really have a choice now. If you leave it then the incorrect information will be spotted when results come through from the exam boards at which point universities have been known to withdraw offers because of technical errors in listing qualifications.

Can I withdraw and reapply?
Can I withdraw and reapply?

If you have your Track login then your universities already have your application. Withdrawing and reapplying will let you correct the mistake but it won’t stop your universities knowing that the mistake was made.

Just correct it with qualsupport. These sorts of mistakes are common.

And get onto your school about them sending it off with errors in. They should have spotted this - that’s a clear part of their responsibilities within the ucas scheme.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If you have your Track login then your universities already have your application. Withdrawing and reapplying will let you correct the mistake but it won’t stop your universities knowing that the mistake was made.

Just correct it with qualsupport. These sorts of mistakes are common.

And get onto your school about them sending it off with errors in. They should have spotted this - that’s a clear part of their responsibilities within the ucas scheme.

Ok. Thank you ever so much for your time and help!:smile:
Ok. Thank you ever so much for your time and help!:smile:

No problem. Good luck with your application - when you email your choices it’s absolutely ok to ask them whether the mistake will affect your application.
Reply 12
Hi.
It appears I have made a grammatical error on my personal statement and have sent off my applications! Is there any way that I am able to change this? Can I cancel my application and reapply for this year (2019) to make the correction?
Thank you.
Original post by Bxrana
Hi.
It appears I have made a grammatical error on my personal statement and have sent off my applications! Is there any way that I am able to change this? Can I cancel my application and reapply for this year (2019) to make the correction?
Thank you.

You can but that’s a huge overreaction to a minor error that’s unlikely to even be noticed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending