Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is once again a hot-topic in the UK, and opinion polls show that the majority of people think that there's an immigration crisis. How best can we deal with this crisis? Assuming, of course, that there is a crisis.

One particularly thorny issue is Brits who marry foreigners. Obviously, the system is open to abuse, but I'm sure the majority of such marriages are in good faith. However, would you in anyway support a restriction on a British persons right to marry or enter into a civil union with someone who does not have a right to reside in the UK?

Obviously, such a restriction would almost certainly violate Article 8 of the Convention. However, let's leave that to the side for the moment. Just wanted to garner peoples views.

ReputationRep:
    I think people worry too much, multiculturalism is a good thing! & no I wouldn't support that

ReputationRep:
    No. In no way would I support that. If one were to deal with *that* problem the most logical way (although imo still not necessarily acceptbale) would be to remove the right of someone to reside in the country with their spouse.
    A restriction on entering into the marriage itself is abhorrent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J. S. Mills)

One particularly horny issue is Brits who marry foreigners.
    I presume you mean 'thorny'.

ReputationRep:
    That is such a stupid stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jurisprude)
    If one were to deal with *that* problem the most logical way (although imo still not necessarily acceptbale) would be to remove the right of someone to reside in the country with their spouse.
    Well if that's less 'abhorrent', than fine. I mean, it achieves the same end result in the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    While we are at it, why don't we stop interracial relationships?

My Godwin detector is about to go off....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I presume you mean 'thorny'.
    Yes, thank you for notifying me.

ReputationRep:
    i think people should be allowed to marry who they want but no-one should be above the law. hence, brits can marry foreigners and can stay in the uk if the foreign person was allowed to remain in the uk even if the marriage were to not take place. if the foreign spouse was not initially allowed to live in the uk, then i think the brit should still have a right to marry their foreign half but they should live their lives somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    While we are at it, why don't we stop interracial relationships?
    How is that in anyway similar?

ReputationRep:
    liberals generally like creating a 'racist' situation out of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amjw)
    liberals generally like creating a 'racist' situation out of nothing.
    "liberals" ? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm marrying foreign. I've spent too long abroad to marry an English chick.

Given the seemingly continuing asymetries of the global capitalist system (as per Emmanuel Wallerstein's critique) it seems like the movement of people from economic peripheries to economic centres is likely, correspondingly, to continue. Humans have always migrated in accordance with the search for improved material life and thus long, long before national boundaries were established. Just as the early stages of global capitalisation meant outflow from the centres into the peripheries, so the process has a flip side.

ReputationRep:

Restriction of civil liberties for no real gain, other than to please racists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I think people worry too much, multiculturalism is a good thing! & no I wouldn't support that
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Restriction of civil liberties for no real gain, other than to please racists?
    Not really though, is it? I mean, it's not racist. You can argue that it's culturist. If such a restriction reduces immigration, than there is a gain.

Also, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a complete restriction. You could allow non-British spouses to come here to the UK, but as long as they meet certain requirements. If you disagree, then what do you suggest we do to deal with the problem?

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is a foreigner. We have been together nearly three and a half years and plan to marry.

However, he's French and thus a member of the EU and therefore has the right to live in the UK, just as I have the right to live in France (we're planning on the latter option long-term though it may be the former for a short time).

I'm guessing you're referring to Brits marrying people from Asia more than anything when you write this post?

ReputationRep:
    If you disagree, then what do you suggest we do to deal with the problem?
    I don't see immigration as a problem.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very strange way to deal with immigration, more then anything else it would just add to the divide that we already have between cultures that and South Africa tried it and that did nothing other then piss people off.

As far as immigration goes i personally think taking on a point system like Australia would be a pretty good idea. That way people can be judged on what they can offer to the country etc.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.