Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the presence of oxygen, respiration yields more ATP per molecule of glucose than it does in the absence of oxygen. Explain why.

I looked at the mark scheme and don’t understand , help needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulDocc)
    In the presence of oxygen, respiration yields more ATP per molecule of glucose than it does in the absence of oxygen. Explain why.

I looked at the mark scheme and don’t understand , help needed
    What level is this - A level or undergrad? The answer lies in the difference between aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis, but I can't help you properly until I know what level you're working at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    What level is this - A level or undergrad? The answer lies in the difference between aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis, but I can't help you properly until I know what level you're working at.
    Sorry , A level Biology

ReputationRep:
    Sorry , A level Biology
    OK - have you done both aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis?

ReputationRep:
    Look at glycolysis and anerovix resperiation and see their products and intermediate and you'll find your answer. I think with oxygen it can do Krebs cycle and links reaction and the oxidative phosorlasion but without it can't do Krebs cycle or links I THINK

ReputationRep:
    OK - have you done both aerobic and anaerobic glycolysis?
    I have done aerobic glycolysis but not anaerobic ( totally forgot about that)
    ik that in anaerobic turns the pyruvates into ethanol and lactate so no ATP formed and thus less yield ? That’s my guess

ReputationRep:
    I have done aerobic glycolysis but not anaerobic ( totally forgot about that)
    ik that in anaerobic turns the pyruvates into ethanol and lactate so no ATP formed and thus less yield ? That’s my guess
    Yep, you're spot on - you answered that without any help really.

So, in the presence of oxygen, the product of glycolysis, pyruvate, can be fed into the TCA and via oxidation pass its high energy electrons onto the electron transport chain and generate ATP via oxidative phosphorylation. As you've noted, in the absence of oxygen, glycolysis stops at pyruvate, and this is reduced to either ethanol via acetaldehyde or lactate (which is oxidised back to pyruvate in certain cells, or is used to generate glucose via gluconeogenesis). So the only ATP production in the absence of oxygen, via anaerobic glycolysis, is that which occurs during the oxidation of glucose to pyruvate during glycolysis.

Look up how many molecules of ATP are formed via anaerobic glycolysis compared to aerobic. It's a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you're spot on - you answered that without any help really.

So, in the presence of oxygen, the product of glycolysis, pyruvate, can be fed into the TCA and via oxidation pass its high energy electrons onto the electron transport chain and generate ATP via oxidative phosphorylation. As you've noted, in the absence of oxygen, glycolysis stops at pyruvate, and this is oxidised to either ethanol via acetaldehyde or lactate (which is oxidised back to pyruvate in certain cells, or is used to generate glucose via gluconeogenesis). So the only ATP production in the absence of oxygen, via anaerobic glycolysis, is that which occurs during the oxidation of glucose to pyruvate during glycolysis.

Look up how many molecules of ATP are formed via anaerobic glycolysis compared to aerobic. It's a huge difference.
    You are brilliant ! Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

ReputationRep:
    You are brilliant ! Thank you so much for taking the time to help.
    haha - thanks! You're welcome

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2018

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.