BSc Dissertation Watch

AhmadDj
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, need some help in choosing my dissertation topic, I am quite interested in using technology in education/schools, but the topic is to broad and I'm struggling to formulate my idea. Any ideas of how technology can be used in education/schools or what could make a good dissertation computer science???

Any help would be greatly appreciated
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How about how technology can be used in education to enhance the learning experience for students who are disabled, handicapped or have severe learning difficulties.

For example physically disabled students- those with visual impairments, mobility problems, victims of bombings who have lost limbs.
Students with Down's Syndrome, mental retardation or brain injury impairments- limited attention spans, unique learning patterns, need for simple literal instructions.
AhmadDj
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
How about how technology can be used in education to enhance the learning experience for students who are disabled, handicapped or have severe learning difficulties.

For example physically disabled students- those with visual impairments, mobility problems, victims of bombings who have lost limbs.
Students with Down's Syndrome, mental retardation or brain injury impairments- limited attention spans, unique learning patterns, need for simple literal instructions.
Hi londonmyst, Thank you very much for the insight, I've never though of this idea but I think it is a step into the right direction. Will have to do some background research to find out what's out there and where I can contribute. Thank you for the help, much appreciated
student2312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Another option would be to chose a specific part of the curriculum and investigate how effective it is in supporting learning. E.g. how effective is the use of technology in teaching electronics? You can talk about programs like crocodile technology, the use of interactive boards for modelling circuits and problems, or how technology allows pupils to work collaboratively and the impact this has on learning. The advantages and disadvantages.
Computational thinking is big in education right now and relates directly to computer science, you could focus on something related to this? Try looking up the Barefoot CAS website to find a bit more about it.

Or the other way round, chose a specific piece of technology but broaden the subject E.g. How effective are ipads in supporting education in the maths classroom?
I was lucky enough to teach in a school where every pupil had an ipad and there were a number of benefits but also a number of issues. Benefits included a more paperless classroom, homework being given out and handed in using google classroom, and pupils being able to use them for research. We were also able to access websites such as MyMaths which was amazing for extension work and helping explain and illustrate key concepts. The downsides were unreliability, the internet could be down, a child could forget/have broken their ipad, they could be a major distraction and a definitely had to confiscate quite a few during class. This meant having back up options for pupils who forgot or lost the privilege of their ipads which could increase the workload. The majority of schools won't have this level of access to technology but there are other technologies to focus on.

You could do this by getting a mixture of opinions, teachers opinions, pupils opinions and looking at concrete statistics. I.e one group uses technology to model and investigate a circuit, one group uses a real circuit, one learn through pictures and theory. Which groups had more understanding of how it worked, which ones enjoyed the tasks more, where there issues around using technology, maybe the practical and theory groups were more focused with less distractions.

Go for something your interested in, but also remember doing anything in education will carry ethical issues and gathering your data may not be easy as schools aren't always too accommodating to take time out of their busy schedules to allow for research unless you know and have links with the school.
Last edited by student2312; 5 months ago
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AhmadDj)
Hi, need some help in choosing my dissertation topic, I am quite interested in using technology in education/schools, but the topic is to broad and I'm struggling to formulate my idea. Any ideas of how technology can be used in education/schools or what could make a good dissertation computer science???

Any help would be greatly appreciated
You might wish to use the Dissertation Thread to discuss your dissertation idea.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5520690
AhmadDj
Rep:
?
(Original post by student2312)
Another option would be to chose a specific part of the curriculum and investigate how effective it is in supporting learning. E.g. how effective is the use of technology in teaching electronics? You can talk about programs like crocodile technology, the use of interactive boards for modelling circuits and problems, or how technology allows pupils to work collaboratively and the impact this has on learning. The advantages and disadvantages.
Computational thinking is big in education right now and relates directly to computer science, you could focus on something related to this? Try looking up the Barefoot CAS website to find a bit more about it.

Or the other way round, chose a specific piece of technology but broaden the subject E.g. How effective are ipads in supporting education in the maths classroom?
I was lucky enough to teach in a school where every pupil had an ipad and there were a number of benefits but also a number of issues. Benefits included a more paperless classroom, homework being given out and handed in using google classroom, and pupils being able to use them for research. We were also able to access websites such as MyMaths which was amazing for extension work and helping explain and illustrate key concepts. The downsides were unreliability, the internet could be down, a child could forget/have broken their ipad, they could be a major distraction and a definitely had to confiscate quite a few during class. This meant having back up options for pupils who forgot or lost the privilege of their ipads which could increase the workload. The majority of schools won't have this level of access to technology but there are other technologies to focus on.

You could do this by getting a mixture of opinions, teachers opinions, pupils opinions and looking at concrete statistics. I.e one group uses technology to model and investigate a circuit, one group uses a real circuit, one learn through pictures and theory. Which groups had more understanding of how it worked, which ones enjoyed the tasks more, where there issues around using technology, maybe the practical and theory groups were more focused with less distractions.

Go for something your interested in, but also remember doing anything in education will carry ethical issues and gathering your data may not be easy as schools aren't always too accommodating to take time out of their busy schedules to allow for research unless you know and have links with the school.

Good evening student2312, thank you very much for this detailed and insightful response. I believe that this is the bet i have so far, I like the idea of using a specific part of the curriculum and see how technology aids the learning in that area. Specially ipads in Maths class, I could even write an application/game to support the learning of the students. I am definitely going ponder on your response and discuss it with my supervisor. Thank you very much for the help. BTW, would you it be possible to contact you and have you on the study as you seem to have some experience using technology in schools and can contribute in its advantages and disadvantages???
AhmadDj
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
You might wish to use the Dissertation Thread to discuss your dissertation idea.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5520690
The Empire Odyssey, Thank you for the suggestion, i've posted my question in there.
student2312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by AhmadDj)
Good evening student2312, thank you very much for this detailed and insightful response. I believe that this is the bet i have so far, I like the idea of using a specific part of the curriculum and see how technology aids the learning in that area. Specially ipads in Maths class, I could even write an application/game to support the learning of the students. I am definitely going ponder on your response and discuss it with my supervisor. Thank you very much for the help. BTW, would you it be possible to contact you and have you on the study as you seem to have some experience using technology in schools and can contribute in its advantages and disadvantages???
Sorry for the late reply, I'm not on this too often. Yea you can contact me, I've taught Maths in a school where every child had an IPad and in a school with such poor resources that I didn't have the use of an interactive whiteboard and couldn't even put on a PowerPoint so I've experience with both ends of the extreme. In one school I was able to put a QR code on every worksheet so that pupils could scan it and be brought to a Youtube video explaining how to complete the tasks or showing a nice visualisation of proofs, in the other I couldn't even put questions on the board without physically writing them up.
Last edited by student2312; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads