The Student Room Group

Want to do my degree again !!!!

Hi all

So I am almost 30, working as a paralegal, unable to make it as a solicitor because I got a 3rd class law degree when I was 21- at the time I didn’t question it, I had personal issues going on, I carried on, actually paid 10k to complete the lpc at the college of law. (I know, big mistake they took my money despite my degree class)

Moving forward I now mature and sick of being a paralegal

What the hell should I do? Having spoke to a careers advisor she said I should contact my university from where I graduated and ask if I can resit a module to gain at least a 2:2 plus, so that I can get a training contract

I have been thinking of doing my law degree again, self funded, done full time. Or is there another route?

This time round I am putting in 100%

I just don’t know if I should apply to a uni and do another law degree or or there another way around it? No firm will offer me a tc with a 3rd. I am not going to finish my lpc because there isn’t any point with a 3rd.

Also, just want to know how I can improve my a levels to get into a better uni? I did them in 2007....

Really need some help here!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ygv
Hi all

So I am almost 30, working as a paralegal, unable to make it as a solicitor because I got a 3rd class law degree when I was 21- at the time I didn’t question it, I had personal issues going on, I carried on, actually paid 10k to complete the lpc at the college of law. (I know, big mistake they took my money despite my degree class)

Moving forward I now mature and sick of being a paralegal

What the hell should I do? Having spoke to a careers advisor she said I should contact my university from where I graduated and ask if I can resit a module to gain at least a 2:2 plus, so that I can get a training contract

I have been thinking of doing my law degree again, self funded, done full time. Or is there another route?

This time round I am putting in 100%

I just don’t know if I should apply to a uni and do another law degree or or there another way around it? No firm will offer me a tc with a 3rd. I am not going to finish my lpc because there isn’t any point with a 3rd.

Also, just want to know how I can improve my a levels to get into a better uni? I did them in 2007....

Really need some help here!!!

I'm sorry you feel so stuck. But before you commit to doing anything, I think you need to go and find someone at the careers advice service to talk this through with.

I do not claim to know anything about the best route to becoming a solicitor, but from your post, I sense a lot of frustration about your current situation, and not much passion for the law. I'm asking myself whether a future career in law really for you, or whether you are just being driven by familiarity and frustration?

If you knew you could not fail, what would you do? Because that thing - and you knew immediately the answer to that question- that thing, no matter how crazy, or out of your reach it feels like right now, is the thing you need to go and pursue. Whether it involves re-qualifying in a different subject, or moving somewhere else, that's what is required. 30 is young. Believe me. I went to the careers advice when I was 35 saying "I"m in the wrong job". They told me to buy a sports car because I was having an early mid-life crisis. I stayed in my job, and 10 years later, I started doing the thing I really wanted to do. I'm not finished on that journey, but boy, do I wish I got the advice earlier!

A Spanish friend of mine often says "life is long" - she says this when someone is feeling miserable and trapped. And it's true. Life is only short of the happy and satisfied. Don't leave it any later. Start doing the thing you need to do. If that IS the law, then do it. Go and get the advice, and do it. You won't regret it.
Reply 2
Original post by LiyoS
I'm sorry you feel so stuck. But before you commit to doing anything, I think you need to go and find someone at the careers advice service to talk this through with.

I do not claim to know anything about the best route to becoming a solicitor, but from your post, I sense a lot of frustration about your current situation, and not much passion for the law. I'm asking myself whether a future career in law really for you, or whether you are just being driven by familiarity and frustration?

If you knew you could not fail, what would you do? Because that thing - and you knew immediately the answer to that question- that thing, no matter how crazy, or out of your reach it feels like right now, is the thing you need to go and pursue. Whether it involves re-qualifying in a different subject, or moving somewhere else, that's what is required. 30 is young. Believe me. I went to the careers advice when I was 35 saying "I"m in the wrong job". They told me to buy a sports car because I was having an early mid-life crisis. I stayed in my job, and 10 years later, I started doing the thing I really wanted to do. I'm not finished on that journey, but boy, do I wish I got the advice earlier!

A Spanish friend of mine often says "life is long" - she says this when someone is feeling miserable and trapped. And it's true. Life is only short of the happy and satisfied. Don't leave it any later. Start doing the thing you need to do. If that IS the law, then do it. Go and get the advice, and do it. You won't regret it.

You didn't even read the post. He spoke to careers advice.
Original post by cxlvin
You didn't even read the post. He spoke to careers advice.

I did read the post. I don't want to be rude and say "this careers advice person does not do their job well".
Reply 4
Tagging @J-SP - any thoughts?
Seen as you have legal work experience maybe it is worth it I really did not think they would allow you to go back that many years later a do some retakes???
Reply 6
Original post by Little Popcorns
Seen as you have legal work experience maybe it is worth it I really did not think they would allow you to go back that many years later a do some retakes???

They wont let me, I contacted my uni from graduation year and the head of law said Iv graduated and therefore cannot re take any exams to improve my grade so basically I’ve wasted 3 years doing nothing!

i honestly feel stuck in a rut- I definitely have the motivation to do it a again so that I can get a 2:2 or above and then do the lpc even if it means il be 35! And yes law is what she’s want to do I have 7 years experience as a paralegal, I wish I did the cilex route and gained a job as a solicitor without a tc but I don’t think they’ll be keen once they hear about my 3rd
Original post by Ygv
They wont let me, I contacted my uni from graduation year and the head of law said Iv graduated and therefore cannot re take any exams to improve my grade so basically I’ve wasted 3 years doing nothing!

i honestly feel stuck in a rut- I definitely have the motivation to do it a again so that I can get a 2:2 or above and then do the lpc even if it means il be 35! And yes law is what she’s want to do I have 7 years experience as a paralegal, I wish I did the cilex route and gained a job as a solicitor without a tc but I don’t think they’ll be keen once they hear about my 3rd

If you’re that into a career in law maybe you can do the GDL

Or legal apprenticeship
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Neither would be an option. If you have done a QLD law degree, you won’t be able to do the GDL.

If you have a level 6 legal qualification, you won’t be able to do an apprenticeship unless it was a level 7 qualification.

If what you’re saying is true a legal education is just as much a mess as I remember it. However if you remain loyal at a firm and do a good job of what you’re doing they may still allow you a training contract it’s just a question of when??
Original post by J-SP
It’s actually the most logical part of legal training. Why would you need to do another qualification at a lower level than one than you already have in the exact same subject?

Beeecause
You
Didn’t
Achieve
A
Good
Grade
In the first place
Original post by J-SP
No matter what the grade is, it is still a higher qualification. It’s a bit like advising someone who had done Maths A-level and got a C grade to go and do their GCSE Maths so they can get a A* grade.

It isn’t just the legal sector that does this. All apprenticeships and PGdip Studies would work on this basis.

Well it’s not the most logical part of legal education otherwise you wouldn’t be in this predicament would you...unless you believe no one with a 3rd should be allowed a second chance...?

GDL not an option for you
Apprenticeship not an option either.

Now we’ve established you’re definitely not able to do either of those things and therefore legal education isn’t logical or fair...

I advise you speak to your employer and explain your situation.
Original post by J-SP
I’m not the OP. I’m not in this predicament.

Oh so you’re just being a bit unhelpful then
Original post by Little Popcorns
Oh so you’re just being a bit unhelpful then

i mean, it is entirely up to a firm to look past the 3rd and give OP a chance. the hard part about this predicament is convincing whoever is responsible for hiring trainees to give OP a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
No, I’m actually trying to be helpful by giving practical advice. The GDL and Apprenticeship route you have suggested won’t be feasible.

I can’t help it if your advice is unrealistic or impractical and needs picking up for being so.

Your advice is equally unhelpful.

“Oh the bit that doesn’t help you is the most logical part of a legal education OP, that’s all I J-SP can offer”
Original post by J-SP
At least it’s informed.

Unhelpful informed is still unhelpful
I believe the SRA require all components of the Law degree to be completed within a 7 year time frame, so I'm not sure you would be able to retake parts of the course (regardless of whether the university agrees) and have it qualify you otherwise. Might be worth checking to see if that is or isn't the case, as I'm not completely certain...equally even if so, if you have documentation for any extenuating circumstances at the time, this might otherwise go around that (or other) issues. Also it would probably be worth checking if doing the entire degree again would make any difference, as they might have policies otherwise restricting that option...

If not, since you are now more focused on your future and academic performance you could always pursue another degree to train in another area - SFE notably now funds part time second degrees in STEM areas, so if any of those areas appeal (which covers quite a range) that could allow you to pursue a second degree fully funded. If you are able to pursue law still though, good luck and I think your new perspective should let you improve yourself a lot in that realm; hopefully it's an option, but there might be alternatives if not :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest