Turn on thread page Beta

Dry, itchy, shiny skin watch

Announcements

On my torso, I have dry, skin in little oval patches (no discolouration) that sometimes get me in itching fits. On my back, it is entirely covered in this dryness so my entire back is shiny whilst my front has shiny patches. If you rub your hand over it, little flakes like dandruff come onto your hand. When you rub over it, it feels like very fine sandpaper. Help me!!! Skin isn't supposed to be like this! What's going on? I've had this for about a year.

ReputationRep:
    go see a dermatologist!
    I had very dry skin, at one point it was so bad, I noticed all these white dots on my black trousers. Didn't have a clue where they'd come from, until I realise it was my arms flaking . After showering I slap on the babyoil - never had a problem with my skin since.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the docter before it gets worse they will help get rid of it!

Yes! I get the flaking too on my bra mainly as it's the torso/back region affected. Will just putting babyoil on help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yes! I get the flaking too on my bra mainly as it's the torso/back region affected. Will just putting babyoil on help?
    Try it try it try it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried moisturising? If you have and it doesn't work then going to see you doctor is probably the best option.

This might sound silly, but how often should I moisterise?

ReputationRep:
    Small oval/circle patches; flaky when rubbed; itchy?
    Ok, this sounds to me like Psoriasis (sp?), it's quite irritating I know because I suffer from it.

You will need to see your GP, when then may refer you to a dermatologist.

There are a number of creams/lotions/natural methods to "help" but not necessarily get rid of it.

Eating oily fish and taking cod liver oil tablets help. Mine is worse in winter when I am around central heating. My mum suffers from this to though, and what works for her doesn't always work for me and vice versa.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know any brands of products, but I am no doctor so please see your GP.

X

Btw, regarding moisturising - I moisturise twice a day; it doesn't help get rid of it, it just keeps it at bay.

ReputationRep:
    doingmybest I was just thinking that, I suffer from psoriasis a bit different to that, but I remember reading a leaflet and I'm sure there was a "shiny skin" type of psoriasis mentioned. Definitely get it checked out at the doctors, they can sort you out with a cream or something

ReputationRep:
    E45 is your friend .

If you're moisturising properly though, a trip to the GP is probably in order.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.