RobertRobly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
While connected to Eduroam on my PC, it is completely fine accessing Steam. However, it cannot connect to any online Steam game servers like TF2 or ESO servers. The only thing in the Eduroam rules and regulations that came close to this was that users could not host a server, but I'm only trying to join a server. It's particularly odd considering that it can connect to other online gaming servers like Battle.net's Overwatch servers. Any suggestions on how to fix it?
EDIT: I should also add that I can't just use resLAN Ethernet as an alternative because it currently doesn't work for me. I've contacted the IT service, but they likely won't arrive for *a while* so in the mean time I'm hoping to get Steam fully working on Eduroam.
MDOTE
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
bump
gogglebot
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep, same here. Cardiff University is archaic in its restrictions. I've heard of no other university this horribly and I emphasise unnecessarily restrictive. My previous uni seemed to have sometimes deprioritised games network traffic but beyond that everything was fine. It's dumb. Cardiff Uni IT is dumb. The LAN doesn't work any better (and tends to randomly drop in my case, somehow).

it would *appear* that you can register your device here https://reslan.cf.ac.uk/ to get additional IT privileges to allow games to work. I have zero idea if this works nor who thought this was a good system, nor am I particularly comfortable submitting anything. They already know my MAC address, I am literally connected to the network, why is any of this awfully designed faff a requirement to chill out for a few hours?

These aren't the only issues I have with Cardiff IT, e.g. all connections to VPN provider's websites are completely blocked, you don't even get a warning. Any page that even has the word "proxy" on it is auto banned but at least they tell you it's blocked and don't try to pretend the website doesn't even exist like they do with some.

There are TSR posts going back years complaining about this, at one point they just blocked everything outright so progress at least has occurred. A shame it has taken literally 10 years to get to this point that is still 10 years behind other universities. (see this post from 10 years ago https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1038961)

Ridiculous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (65)
55.08%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (13)
11.02%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (18)
15.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (8)
6.78%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
5.93%

Watched Threads