Razza2000
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is that not a PPA? There may be sample write ups online which you could look at for aim ideas. You could do something along the lines of the determination of the purity of aspirin produced by your method or compare 2 different methods. You could do something like the effect of concentration or trying different solvents if you have not finished your practical yet. Hope that helps!
Maryam P
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello everyone!
im really struggling on the following three questions if anyone could help me with either one i would really appreciate it!

28. What volume of 025 mol l −1 calcium nitrate is required to make, by dilution with water, 500 cm3 of a solution with a nitrate ion concentration of 01 mol l −1 ?
A 50 cm3
B 100 cm3
C 200 cm3
D 400 cm
29. 160 g of an anhydrous metal sulfate were dissolved in water. Addition of excess barium chloride solution resulted in the precipitation of 233 g of barium sulfate. The original substance was
A copper(II) sulfate
B magnesium sulfate
C sodium sulfate
D calcium sulfate
30. 0020 moles of the salt Pt(NH3)xCl2 required 200 cm3 of 40 mol l −1 nitric acid to react completely with the NH3 ligands. The value of x is
A 2
B 4
C 6
D 8.
WS296
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nimrah_M)
Hey everyone, is anyone here doing the preparation of aspirin and determining the melting point? if so can someone help me with what my aim should be??
I am doing preparation of Aspirin but I'm not sure what my aim would be.
GLM26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i need to make an aqueous solution of hexaaquachromium nitrate for my advanced higher chemistry project. i am investigating transition metal d-d splitting energies to confirm the spectrochemical series. i need help in finding a way to make this solution. the report i was working from does not tell me how to make this. it has the formula (Cr(H2O)6)(NO3)3. anyone got any ideas.
_nim1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How’s everyone studying for ah Chem? Or has anyone started studying yet haha
MadsClare_13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nimota)
I’ve got my prelim next week so I am doing some studying for that! Mainly using Scholar, the bright red study guide and my notes what about you?
bean101
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My prelims next week too, I’m using past papers and scholar too
SCHOLARuk
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the mentions MadsClare_13 and bean101! Don't forget that we run Online Tutor Sessions for AH Chemistry which may be useful. They're available even if you don't have your SCHOLAR username/password. Schedule/recordings at https://scholar.hw.ac.uk/sessions.html
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MadsClare_13)
I’ve got my prelim next week so I am doing some studying for that! Mainly using Scholar, the bright red study guide and my notes what about you?
Exact same! My Prelim is in two weeks so I’ve got some time to study
MadsClare_13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Exact same! My Prelim is in two weeks so I’ve got some time to study
Good luck!
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck!
Thank you 😊
MadsClare_13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is everyone getting on with their project?
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is everyone getting on with their project?
It went pretty well thankfully (others in my class weren’t so lucky unfortunately). We’ve just had prelims so now it’s the dreaded write up I’m really not looking forward to it 😭😂
GLM26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i have just finished my advanced higher chemistry project. i synthesised chromium(III) transition metal complexes and ran them through a spectrophotometer to find the maximum wavelengths of absorbance. then i used lhc/lambda to work out energies and ranked the ligands used in order of energy produced to confirm the spectrochemical series. i was wondering if anyone knew a free online database where i could find the known uv vis spectrophotmetric data of compounds and ligands? i want to check the accuracy of my results and need to find a database with accepted values for the max wavelengths.
A_Ch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone know if we need a hypothesis in the project? Also, I'm not sure what to write in the evaluation of procedure and results, any advice on what must be included. Thanks in advance.
Nur.903.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you end up figuring it out.

i am doing mines on aspirin aswell.In my procedure i determined the mass of aspirin per aspirin tablet (store-bought) and compared it to aspirin i made.
for underlying chemistry i mentioned;

- the skeletal structure of aspirin
- the benzene ring associated with aspirin
- single bonds in the structure (sigma) and double bonds (pi bonds) in the structure. i mentioned the hybridisation of orbitals. This could be used by any project if the structure has single or double bonds.
- melting point was one of my ways to compare purities of the storebought aspirin and the one i made so i mentioned how the lower the melting point, the less pure and the wider the range of temperature at which it starts and completes melting, the less pure. I compared the 2 values i had to the actual melting point of aspirin which is 138-141°C.
-for my procedures i done a backtitration and used a water pump to create a vacuum so i mentioned this as these procedure are in Unit 3 of Researching Chemistry.
- talk abut pharmaceuticals and how aspirin is an antagonist drug.

im struggling to think of other stuff to say and any help would be appreciated.
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  BBD4069B-E114-47A4-930B-9A7B4EB86D0D.jpeg
Views: 110
Size:  230.0 KB
Can anyone help me with this? I have no clue how to work it out.The answer says A but it might be wrong.
hydroxide
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
first write the equation and then balance it:
2 AgNO3 + CaCl2 --> 2AgCl + Ca(NO3)2

the precipitate is AgCl

for AgNO3
n=cv
n=0.5 x 0.1L
=0.05 moles

ratio of AgNO3: AgCl is 2:2 which is 1:1
so moles of AgCl is 0.05 mol

to find mass of AgCl, the precipitate:
=0.05 moles x formula mass of AgCl
which is 0.05 x 143.3
= 7.17g
_nim1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hydroxide)
first write the equation and then balance it:
2 AgNO3 + CaCl2 --> 2AgCl + Ca(NO3)2

the precipitate is AgCl

for AgNO3
n=cv
n=0.5 x 0.1L
=0.05 moles

ratio of AgNO3: AgCl is 2:2 which is 1:1
so moles of AgCl is 0.05 mol

to find mass of AgCl, the precipitate:
=0.05 moles x formula mass of AgCl
which is 0.05 x 143.3
= 7.17g
Wow you made that so easy to understand, thanks so much!
hydroxide
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you're very welcome!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (140)
24.22%
Better than expected (127)
21.97%
Worse than expected (311)
53.81%

Watched Threads