The Student Room Group

University forcing me to change my degree title, can they do this?

Basically, I comepleted my first year at another year (on a course Media and Communications) and transferred to another one with no issues, I enrolled up on a course, Media, Film and Television Studies (a joint degree) and I’m entering my third year now. I’ve gone into uni today for an induction and they’ve turned round and said that I can’t sit any of the level 6 modules for media studies as I haven’t completed any media modules (I did in year 1 at my first uni). They said that the modules (that they put on my timetable and offered me) weren’t Media modules, I basically sat 4 film Studies modules, 1 film production and 1 journalism, so technically sat modules from 3 separate courses. They uni are now saying that I can’t graduate with original degree title and need to change to a singular Film and Television Studies degree. Can they do this? Can they force me to change my degree, which I’ve enrolled on, paid for and thought I was working towards because of an ‘admin error’? Do I have any rights to argue to keep my joint degree? The head of media has already said he doesn’t want me sitting any of his modules in year 3 because apparently I wouldn’t pass them (which I thought was very rude considering I managed to pass modules last year from courses I had no previous knowledge in) so they want me to change my degree, even though they made the mistake and have altered everything for me.
I obviously really want to graduate with my original degree title and am really annoyed at this major mistake they have made, is there any way to fix this? It’s really worrying me as I’m starting my final year and currently don’t even know what degree I’m going to graduate with!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by beginnersmind_
Basically, I comepleted my first year at another year (on a course Media and Communications) and transferred to another one with no issues, I enrolled up on a course, Media, Film and Television Studies (a joint degree) and I’m entering my third year now. I’ve gone into uni today for an induction and they’ve turned round and said that I can’t sit any of the level 6 modules for media studies as I haven’t completed any media modules (I did in year 1 at my first uni). They said that the modules (that they put on my timetable and offered me) weren’t Media modules, I basically sat 4 film Studies modules, 1 film production and 1 journalism, so technically sat modules from 3 separate courses. They uni are now saying that I can’t graduate with original degree title and need to change to a singular Film and Television Studies degree. Can they do this? Can they force me to change my degree, which I’ve enrolled on, paid for and thought I was working towards because of an ‘admin error’? Do I have any rights to argue to keep my joint degree? The head of media has already said he doesn’t want me sitting any of his modules in year 3 because apparently I wouldn’t pass them (which I thought was very rude considering I managed to pass modules last year from courses I had no previous knowledge in) so they want me to change my degree, even though they made the mistake and have altered everything for me.
I obviously really want to graduate with my original degree title and am really annoyed at this major mistake they have made, is there any way to fix this? It’s really worrying me as I’m starting my final year and currently don’t even know what degree I’m going to graduate with!!

What uni are you in right now?
Original post by beginnersmind_

Forget about this site and go seek your Student Union, immediately.

Go through your university regulations and rules, including your department's and your degree's regulations. They will more than likely have rules and regulations regarding degree changes. Go through it with a fine comb.

But 100% get your union involved, get your dept. rep involved, go to the student council - do everything in your power to fight this, especially if there is no evidence for them doing this.

Some unis do state they are allowed to add/remove modules and degrees without the discretion of informing students. If your uni has this, then there's nothing you can do. But if they don't then you should go to the union. But go to them either way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending