muhammedsandman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
All the following are about GCE A levels(Not IAL).
(1)In the old specification we can take C12+M1 in one year and C13+S1 and accomplish an A level.
(1)How can I do the same in the new specification?
(2)Do I have to take all of paper 3 content (9MAO/03) (i.e.statistics and mechanics)?What if I don't like mechanics and still want to acquire an A level?
(3) I found only three papers 9MAO/01 ,9MAO/02, and 9MAO/03 WHILE in scheme of work specifications I've found AS Mechanics for the first year and Remaining A level Mechanics for the second year? (in other words I want to know the papers code for the first A level year)
(4)If I register for 8MAO/01 and 8MAO/02 in the first year, can I take 9MAO/02 and accomplish an A level
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by muhammedsandman)
All the following are about GCE A levels(Not IAL).
(1)In the old specification we can take C12 M1 in one year and C13 S1 and accomplish an A level.
(1)How can I do the same in the new specification?
(2)Do I have to take all of paper 3 content (9MAO/03) (i.e.statistics and mechanics)?What if I don't like mechanics and still want to acquire an A level?
(3) I found only three papers 9MAO/01 ,9MAO/02, and 9MAO/03 WHILE in scheme of work specifications I've found AS Mechanics for the first year and Remaining A level Mechanics for the second year? (in other words I want to know the papers code for the first A level year)
(4)If I register for 8MAO/01 and 8MAO/02 in the first year, can I take 9MAO/02 and accomplish an A level
1. You can't, the new A levels are linear not modular qualifications.
2. Yes you have to take all 3 of the A level papers in the same exam period to get the A level maths qualification. It doesn't matter what you do and don't like, you have to do both mechanics and statistics.
3. Various schemes of work exist. One popular approach is to teach the pure maths, mechanics and statistics needed for the AS maths qualification in year 12 and the rest in year 13. Most text books are organised this way. This permits candidates to take the 2 optional AS exams in year 12. It also enables teachers to co-teach candidates who will only do one year of maths study to take an AS maths alongside others who will take the full A level. Results from AS exams do not count towards the final A level grade. There are no paper codes for year 1 A Level exams as they don't exist.
4. No. The new specification is not a modular qualification. You have to take all 3 9MA0 exams in one exam season to get an A level in maths.
ShortCut2001
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Anyone frustrated by the lack of past papers for our new spec Edexcel A Level Maths - 9MAO. There’s only ever been past papers for June 2018. That’s literally all we have to go on.

Interesting that Q1 Paper 1 was the very first topic of the new spec - the small angle formula.

My predictions for this year - they’ll continue doing questions on the new bits of the spec - Newton Raphson iteration (maybe with a diverging series without a solution) , Small angle approximation again and more finance questions with discounted cash flows and geometric series or a medical half life question.

Would love to know your predictions having seen the 2018 paper and which past
papers you are using to mimic this new spec exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (85)
59.03%
Yes- I don't like it (8)
5.56%
No- I want it (44)
30.56%
No- I don't want it (7)