Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Realistically, what are the chances of me getting into UCL to do Economics without Further Maths?

GCSE: 8A*2A

I'm doing Maths, Economics, Chemistry and Physics
    A-Levels: Predicted AAAA

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    since no one here is an admissions tutor, our guess is as only as good as yours. Your grades are very promising; write a killer personal statement and i can't see why you wouldnt get in.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is over-rated really....i didn't have it and i got in. With what you've got you'll have no problem. Just write a good PS!

ReputationRep:
    You have a good chance, throw in a hot personal statement and your good to go. Oh and dont worry about the further maths part, though it definetly gives your application an edge but it's not entirely nessisary. Ive got a conditional offer with worse grades then yours.

ReputationRep:
    Oh good. Can people that got in UCL Economics without FM post their grades so I have something to compare to?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spook2575)
    since no one here is an admissions tutor, our guess is as only as good as yours. Your grades are very promising; write a killer personal statement and i can't see why you wouldnt get in.

I dont think so. The people at UCL Economics are in a position to make a reasonable judgement- particularly those involved in the running of the Open Days.

Your grades look fine- only about 50% probablly have further maths. I would say that if you dont like maths - dont even bother with the course though.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need Further Maths, and not having FM has minimal impact on your chances.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people without Further Maths got into Economics from my college, myself included. It's definitely not a pre-requisite.

Oh by the way my A-Levels subjects and predicted grades are identical to yours, and my GCSEs are almost the same. You definitely stand a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsychicPotato)
    A lot of people without Further Maths got into Economics from my college, myself included. It's definitely not a pre-requisite.

Oh by the way my A-Levels subjects and predicted grades are identical to yours, and my GCSEs are almost the same. You definitely stand a good chance.
    What about my grades which you can see below? and im predicted all A's for my as-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay999)
    What about my grades which you can see below? and im predicted all A's for my as-levels.
    As long as you get good grades for your A-Levels - and I'm talking preferably four As here - you should stand a very good chance of getting in.

Yeah they say on their site that 3 subjects are enough, but their typical offers are AAAE (or at least amongst myself and all my friends who received offers) so it's quite implied that they expect you to take four.

In my opinion it definitely helps to boost your application, so make sure you get (or are predicted) straight As for your A-Levels and not just your AS.

At the end of the day other things like personal statement and reference letter just add up, because once you reach a certain point just plainly everyone has the grades they want.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't apply to Oxford you should receive an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holdyourcolour)
    As long as you don't apply to Oxford you should receive an offer.
    what about cambridge? lol

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge pure economics: fine.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.