Turn on thread page Beta

Anon...keep in H&R...Read on

I am a 18 year old A-Level student, leaving for uni in September.

I get EMA, and my parents get child benefits and tax credits (i live with grandparents).

My Grandmother and i have just had a big argument over money. She pays for my buss pass for 6th form (£7.50per week) and dinner money (3.00 per day). I get £30 a week EMA and am saving for a holiday in July.

What are child tax credits and child benefits for...i mean are they not to pay for my buss fare and dinner money? I thought it was, if it is why on earth is she moaning. What would you do in my position. I just told her to shut up and told her money from the government for me is exactly that...for me to pay for me to live (dinner money etc). She said no its not.

Help please

ReputationRep:
    well my mum used to get £20 a week child allowance, untill I was 18. And she gave it all to me in bus fare/dinner money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon...keep in H&R...Read on

I am a 18 year old A-Level student, leaving for uni in September.

I get EMA, and my parents get child benefits and tax credits (i live with grandparents).

My Grandmother and i have just had a big argument over money. She pays for my buss pass for 6th form (£7.50per week) and dinner money (3.00 per day). I get £30 a week EMA and am saving for a holiday in July.

What are child tax credits and child benefits for...i mean are they not to pay for my buss fare and dinner money? I thought it was, if it is why on earth is she moaning. What would you do in my position. I just told her to shut up and told her money from the government for me is exactly that...for me to pay for me to live (dinner money etc). She said no its not.

Help please
    Perhaps you should get a job?

ReputationRep:
    ema = college related expenses (books, travel, food, etc)
    child benefit/tax credits = home related expenses (electricity, computers, food, etc)

if they're paying for your stuff then you've got it good and have no right to argue

and certainly dont tell them to shut up, they're trying to help you

EDIT: and i agree with MSB, get a job if you wanna go on holiday

I am looking for a job..mainly to keep her happy.

And they're not trying to help me if they are threatening to take away the money the government give for me. That would mean i would live on £30 a week including holiday money for July.

ReputationRep:
    Going on holiday is a luxury, not a right, sorry and all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. What ever it is it might be worth saying sorry and trying to sensibly talk it out rather than arguing about it.

ReputationRep:
    They are to help a parent/guardian care for the child. Its up to the guardian to choose what to use them for. They are usually to help you with the cost of having an extra person in the household who isnt earning anything, but is using food/electricity/gas/water etc. They aren't MEANT to be used for anything, it is up to the individual parent to choose, as they are actually to aid the parents financial situation rather than for the child to spend.

I don't think telling her to shut up was a good idea, as it doesn't show that you are mature, whereas if you had spoke to her in a calm way she may have seen your point of view.

My parents gave me 15 a week to cover my 80p a day busfare, and about 10 left over for food. If i wanted anything extra then i had to pay for it myself. I have to say a 7.50 bus pass is pretty expensive in my opinion, although individual travel options vary.

Just noticed it says that your parents get tax credits and yet you live with your grandparents? It should be your grandparents receiving them, but if it is your parents are you sure that they are giving them to your grandparents for you? You could always ask your parents about it.

Hope at least some of that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Just been reminded by paperclips post, that if you look on the EMA website it does say that EMA is for 'course-related expenditures' (or at least something to that effect' meaning travel and food expenses. So it should be coming out of that 30 a week, not your grandparents money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am looking for a job..mainly to keep her happy.

And they're not trying to help me if they are threatening to take away the money the government give for me. That would mean i would live on £30 a week including holiday money for July.

your ridiculous
    most of the people who dont get EMA live on a lot less
    you dont deserve the money your given; you dont appreciate it and you dont use your ema for anything constructive

ema is intended for your college expenses, not for a bloody holiday

i get ema, pay for my own textbooks, travel, food AND going out

learn the value of a pound and stop being a child, otherwise you'll be very surprised when you go to university and you wont be spoonfed

EDIT: what should happen is your grandparents dont do anything for you; you pay for your on electricity et al then they give you all the money they recieve on your behalf; then you'll see how much it truly costs

ReputationRep:
    You told your Grandmother to shut up? How rude! I'd never take money off my grandparents - most OAP's struggle enough as it is.

I agree with everyone else. Get a job. It's what I had to do through college. I didn't qualifiy for EMA or any other benefits nor did my parents have spare money to give me.

Why on earth are you buying meals at college? Make your own lunch at home. It's much much cheaper. How far is college from your home? Buy a bike and cycle there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ccharlyy)

My parents gave me 15 a week to cover my 80p a day busfare, and about 10 left over for food. If i wanted anything extra then i had to pay for it myself. I have to say a 7.50 bus pass is pretty expensive in my opinion, although individual travel options vary.
    My god you have cheap buses. lol! My bus pass was £7.50 also and my college was about 6 miles away. If I didn't get a pass and just got a single it was £1.40.

Sorry Ccharlyy i meant my grandparents get that too.

A holiday a luxury, maybe. But considering i pay for literally everything else including the internet i think its a bit harsh.

I told her to shut up because she can talk to me like ****, she thinks she in the centre of the house and so demands that everyone gives her money. Even my 16 year old sister who is on £30 EMA a week and gets nothing...yes nothing else.

Yes i do get a cheap bus pass, i get a student one :P but it should be £12.00+

ReputationRep:
    My bus was a 'school bus' as I went to a 6th form - every village that was in the catchment area had one, and the fare was always 50p or less (single). Even if I had gone to college there was a free bus service if you lived further than 3 miles away (as 3 miles is what they class the 'walking distance'.

I guess i was just lucky with cheap public transport?

ReputationRep:
    Get a job, I had a job from when I was 16 and got EMA and managed fine. I didn't receive much from my parents but still managed to go on holidays etc.

Getting a job is not as easy as saying it.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to manage it though....

EDIT: If you have unsuccessfully applied for many jobs then i apologise for that comment.

Some people not all

ReputationRep:
    Spoilt child.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.