Left work without notice, what are the consequences?Please?

Watch
Marcbryan2812
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m a 16 year old, i have been working a part time retail job with a bullying management and horrendous pay(£4.20 per hour). I got fed up with the job and just left without giving a notice. I got sent a letter home saying I had to call in to speak in by the 24th of September, still didn’t do it. I’m extremely stressed especially with A-Levels. Can I get sued, wanted to know the consequences ?
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There might be something in the contract tbh

normally they have to give you at least one weeks notice to sack you if you are on probation, and you have to give them one weeks notice

normally 2 weeks or more if you passed probation

if you just leave, i am not sure if it may be possible for them to demand the wages for the week or 2 weeks you didn't work.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
£4.20, although a poor rate of pay, is actually minimum wage and a lot of retail jobs only pay NMW for their sales assistants so I'm thinking this is something you'll probably have to get used to. I don't blame you for leaving as a bullying culture is horrible to work in but your contract will detail notice periods and if you don't stick to these you won't be able to use this job as a reference. I know you're only young but often acting a bit more maturely works out best in your favour, that way there's no confusion about when you're leaving and what you're owed.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Marcbryan2812)
I’m a 16 year old, i have been working a part time retail job with a bullying management and horrendous pay(£4.20 per hour). I got fed up with the job and just left without giving a notice. I got sent a letter home saying I had to call in to speak in by the 24th of September, still didn’t do it. I’m extremely stressed especially with A-Levels. Can I get sued, wanted to know the consequences ?
Does the "bullying management" include the boss of the company? If not you can write to them explaining why you have left (i.e. the bullying, but not the pay - your pay is standard), and apologise for not giving notice.

If it does include the boss, just put the experience behind you and I wish you better luck with your next job. Most managers are absolutely fine.

You won't be sued, it's not worth their energy or expense and you could potentially claim constructive dismissal anyway due to the bullying. But don't make a habit of walking away from a job - if you aren't happy in a job speak to a more senior manager or an HR (human resources) person.
Zenith_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dude you're going to get sued. Watch out when the police come knocking at your door.
urbanwarfare
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm working for £2 per hour and I want to quit my job so bad.
My boss is f*kn is making impossible demands with my work.
Zenith_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow you're lucky I work for 50p an hour

(Original post by urbanwarfare)
I'm working for £2 per hour and I want to quit my job so bad.
My boss is f*kn is making impossible demands with my work.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The pay is perfectly reasonable for an underage. Also, you got into that job, knowing what it would entail.

:nopity:
Waldorf67
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
The pay is perfectly reasonable for an underage. Also, you got into that job, knowing what it would entail.

:nopity:
What, bullying management? Why should anyone put up with that? Have some self-respect!

OP, the only issue with not handing your notice in is possibly you may not be provided with a reference. But so many teens don’t work part time during their A-level that it’s not an issue.
This sort of thing is much worse if it’s your full time job.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
you won't get sued because you don't have any money. lol no honestly, you could sue me for 1 million pounds and if i can't pay you, you get nothing. just keep that in your back pocket.

they probably want to know if they should take you off their pay roll. technically you didn't quit yet, so they want to know if they should fire you. fair enough. just tell them you no longer wish to work there.
Princesspinky
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The minimum wage where I am for a 16 year old is £3.60 a hour so £4.20 isn’t something to complain about
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Does the "bullying management" include the boss of the company? If not you can write to them explaining why you have left (i.e. the bullying, but not the pay - your pay is standard), and apologise for not giving notice.

If it does include the boss, just put the experience behind you and I wish you better luck with your next job. Most managers are absolutely fine.

You won't be sued, it's not worth their energy or expense and you could potentially claim constructive dismissal anyway due to the bullying. But don't make a habit of walking away from a job - if you aren't happy in a job speak to a more senior manager or an HR (human resources) person.
This.
nonotyoutoo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the consequence is that you won't get a good reference from them.

but as your 16, it doesn't matter at all. you tell them ****ers where to shove it.
WestieGroupLTD
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My company regularly sues those employees who breach their contract, which includes those who fail to work their notice.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WestieGroupLTD)
My company regularly sues those employees who breach their contract, which includes those who fail to work their notice.
It sues 16 year olds? :beard:
WestieGroupLTD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It sues 16 year olds? :beard:
We do not see age as a prevention.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by WestieGroupLTD)
We do not see age as a prevention.
Lovely. And the fact they have no money, and left the employment due to bullying by management.

Hmm... sounds like they might have been working at your company...
username2908878
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They will continue with the letters, but eventually you will get one saying 'your contact has been terminated' or something like that.

Just learn from it in future, especially because of the need for a job reference in any future applications. Mine is an extreme case, but for my new job I have had to supply references for the past 5 years, so even if you just worked somewhere for a day and walked out they need to know. In future, even if you despise the place, try follow the correct procedures just for the sake of your future self really.

Now, focus on those a-levels and good luck x
gradmed20
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You won't get a reference; don't put that you worked there on cv/applications because if they ask, you won't get anything/very poor reference which will reflect badly.

In future, document your experience and put a grievance in if you're having a bad time at work.

It's a learning curve, don't dwell on it, put it behind you, nothing will come of it. Good luck with the exams!
WestieGroupLTD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gradmed20)
You won't get a reference; don't put that you worked there on cv/applications because if they ask, you won't get anything/very poor reference which will reflect badly.

In future, document your experience and put a grievance in if you're having a bad time at work.

It's a learning curve, don't dwell on it, put it behind you, nothing will come of it. Good luck with the exams!
They will NEED to disclose this job in the event that the prospective employer requires a full 5year employment/unemployment/eduction history, such as any airport/security job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (39)
27.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.57%
No I am happy with my choice (79)
56.43%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.14%

Watched Threads