Turn on thread page Beta

Basically Im wondering peoples personal opinions on whether on not it is totally stupid to start thinking that the person you are with is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with, if you are young and not been together for long. I have only been with my boyfriend for 7 months and Im only 18 yet this is how I really feel..I can't imagine or plan my future without him in it. It seems stupid yes...I guess I know but I just can't help thinking that way because I love him so much. I should also add he has said the same things to me so its not just a one sided thing. Im not so naive however to think that things will 100% work out that way, because life doesnt work out like that..but right now..if i had a choice I would easily choose things to be that way in the future. Anyone have similar thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    See how it goes, if you have more good days than bad days and you have lots in common, then you should be fine!!!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 18 and I've only been with my boyfriend for 5 months and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and he wants to with me (I've been introduced to all his friends and family as his fiancee).
    Think of it like this, marrying him or whatever young means you get to spend more time with him. A lot of people who marry at 30 or 40 or whatever wish they'd had more time together sharing things!
    That's what I think, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    not at all

ReputationRep:
    thats not rediculous. i know a couple who are in their 50's and got married when they were 16.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want out of life ultimately. If you feel you can have long-term happiness being 'bound' to someone, with all the responsibilities of putting up with them forever, then go for it. I know people around aged 18-21 who have settled down together and pretty much given up their academic careers so they can work full time to pay the rent, etc.. Usually, however, there's a child involved...

But yea, whatever makes you happy really.

Wow those responses made me feel very good

And to answer the question..being 'bound' to him as you phrased it with all the responsibilities wouldnt bother me at all, in fact i look forward to the good and the bad whatever it brings. In life after I get a good job I want to ultimately spend my life with someone I love, who makes me happy and start a family..so yeah Im sure he would do that for me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's ridiculous, sometimes if you're extremely happy in a relationship, you really can't see yourself being with someone else. In some cases this will be true, in others it wont be. The best thing to do is just see how things go, enjoy the time you have and if it turns into something more then great.

I've been with my boyfriend for two years, i'm just about to turn 20. I feel that way about my boyfriend, have done for a long time. I know that things change though, i'm not putting all my hopes on that should it not happen. I'm quite happy seeing where we go for the time being, we're still young.

ReputationRep:
    It'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    Its not ridiculous at all!!

Just a word of warning - if you tell others (e.g family members, single friends etc) Be ready for them to say it is, or it'll never happen and stuff like that. I'm in a 3 year relationship and I feel the same as you and I still get people saying things to me like 'what will you do when you split up' and 'you're only young, it won't last'.

Just be strong and tell them where to go though! Its your life, and if you're happy then its not ridiculous, its good!

ReputationRep:
    The whole idea is unrealistic...but that doesn't mean it's impossible...

It just takes some people longer than other to find someone they want to be with forever...although I don't think there is just one person for everyone...lol!

Your situation is cute and rare...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.