spiznut
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I wanted to apply for some US unis this year, and I was wondering what my chances to get into a top US uni (Ivy League, essentially) were based on these predicted A-level grades:

Mathematics: A*
Further Mathematics: B
Economics: A*
Physics: A

...and these GCSEs:
Mathematics: 9
English Language: 9 (Distinction for English Speaking)
English Literature: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
French: A*
History: A
Music: A
Computer Science: A
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by spiznut)
Hi, I wanted to apply for some US unis this year, and I was wondering what my chances to get into a top US uni (Ivy League, essentially) were based on these predicted A-level grades:

Not an expert on this, your A-levels are good but afaik they are just a small part of a successful application. Have a look at the info in the stickied threads at the top of the forum.
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

...and these GCSEs:
Mathematics: 9
English Language: 9 (Distinction for English Speaking)
English Literature: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
French: A*
History: A
Music: A
Computer Science: A
Hi there!

It seems like your grades are excellent, but it's hard to say whether or not you'll get into an Ivy League school without your SAT scores and extracurriculars. Note that grades alone are not sufficient enough to guarantee you admission. It might be better if you could give us more background with your volunteer experience and other leadership positions you had.
spiznut
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by zero_gravity)
Hi there!

It seems like your grades are excellent, but it's hard to say whether or not you'll get into an Ivy League school without your SAT scores and extracurriculars. Note that grades alone are not sufficient enough to guarantee you admission. It might be better if you could give us more background with your volunteer experience and other leadership positions you had.
Currently, My ACT score stands at 33 - I'm aiming for a better score in the October round as this was my first time.

I'm taking my SAT subjects tests in Maths II & Physics in the coming week. I understand that I'll need pretty much perfect scores in these.

I'm doing this all quite late as I'm applying early this November (final year in school), so I haven't put myself in the best possible position but I know there's more to come.

My school's quite a competitive one, so that concretes the pride I have in my extracurriculars. I have grade 8 drums and am working towards grade 8 piano. I mentor younger children in our school for music and perform in a plethora of jazz bands, and am also on scholarship for music in my school. I'm in the hockey team, I've led teams in some physics competitions, and have performed with the orchestra internationally. I've helped out at old age care homes, and have performed in theatre productions too.

I hold a freelance journalist job under the biggest motorsport magazine (who also do website work) as part of their talent development programme, and have created and maintained my own website in this field. Moreover, I have cofounded an investment society in my school.
Jono*
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on alot of things, what extra activities do you do at your school? it also helps if you're black, one of my black friends is at Harvard now, they want 'diversity' so may as well use the system to your advantage if you are.
zero_gravity
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Currently, My ACT score stands at 33 - I'm aiming for a better score in the October round as this was my first time.

I'm taking my SAT subjects tests in Maths II & Physics in the coming week. I understand that I'll need pretty much perfect scores in these.

I'm doing this all quite late as I'm applying early this November (final year in school), so I haven't put myself in the best possible position but I know there's more to come.

My school's quite a competitive one, so that concretes the pride I have in my extracurriculars. I have grade 8 drums and am working towards grade 8 piano. I mentor younger children in our school for music and perform in a plethora of jazz bands, and am also on scholarship for music in my school. I'm in the hockey team, I've led teams in some physics competitions, and have performed with the orchestra internationally. I've helped out at old age care homes, and have performed in theatre productions too.

I hold a freelance journalist job under the biggest motorsport magazine (who also do website work) as part of their talent development programme, and have created and maintained my own website in this field. Moreover, I have cofounded an investment society in my school.
It would be a good idea to increase your ACT score. I believe getting 35 should put you in a really competitive position, provided that everything else is the same.

It's not necessary to do both the ACT and SAT. Try to put more of your focus on extracurriculars instead. That should give you a more well-rounded application. Best of luck with your studies!
Hannahhd
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OP was saying that they need to do SAT II tests not SAT I
(Original post by zero_gravity)
It would be a good idea to increase your ACT score. I believe getting 35 should put you in a really competitive position, provided that everything else is the same.

It's not necessary to do both the ACT and SAT. Try to put more of your focus on extracurriculars instead. That should give you a more well-rounded application. Best of luck with your studies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads