The Student Room Group

Doing postgrad at top-tier university after undergrad in low-tier.

Hi all,

To cut straight to the point, I am currently doing an undergraduate degree in a STEM related field at UWE (an ex-poly). I want to go on to do a masters degree at a prestigious institution; somewhere like Bristol University, Imperial College London, or (dare I say?) Oxbridge. What do you think my chances are of getting into one of these places considering my background? I am a hard worker and consider myself to be intelligent. The reason I'm at UWE now was because I took a BTEC in an unrelated subject.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Original post by CzarFish
Hi all,

To cut straight to the point, I am currently doing an undergraduate degree in a STEM related field at UWE (an ex-poly). I want to go on to do a masters degree at a prestigious institution; somewhere like Bristol University, Imperial College London, or (dare I say?) Oxbridge. What do you think my chances are of getting into one of these places considering my background? I am a hard worker and consider myself to be intelligent. The reason I'm at UWE now was because I took a BTEC in an unrelated subject.

Why do people keep on asking this ridiculous question on TSR? Seriously. Every uni's postgrad entry requirements are all online. Just look them up. If you're likely to meet or exceed them (or even if you're close) then apply. Simple.
I did. I was asking if it would hinder my application the fact that I came from an ex-poly. Take some chill.
Original post by Duncan2012
Why do people keep on asking this ridiculous question on TSR? Seriously. Every uni's postgrad entry requirements are all online. Just look them up. If you're likely to meet or exceed them (or even if you're close) then apply. Simple.

Were your (perfectly reasonable) request taken seriously, you could remove about 80% of the threads on TSR. TSR is repetition...

Hi all,

Are you on track to get a first or very high 2i in your current degree? Are you going to be competing for a fully-funded studentship (I don't know your field)? Have you found a supervisor or project you're interested in?
Hi all,

You should check the requirement of the University you wish to apply to.
They will put every requirement there and you can make the application and be positive about it.
I'm not sure a top-tier University will immediately reject or refuse a 1st Class from UWE without having a first look at it.
I did. I was asking if it would hinder my application the fact that I came from an ex-poly. Take some chill.

Why on earth would it? Stop overthinking things. Especially when you can get the answers directly from the uni’s webpages. Does Cambridge’s website say ‘we won’t accept anyone who has an undergraduate degree from UWE’? No? Well then, get on and apply.

Original post by Cranfield University
You should check the requirement of the University you wish to apply to.
They will put every requirement there and you can make the application and be positive about it.
I'm not sure a top-tier University will immediately reject or refuse a 1st Class from UWE without having a first look at it.

Of course they won’t. Are there any universities that Cranfield won’t accept an undergraduate from? No, didn’t think so.
Original post by Duncan2012
Why on earth would it? Stop overthinking things. Especially when you can get the answers directly from the uni’s webpages. Does Cambridge’s website say ‘we won’t accept anyone who has an undergraduate degree from UWE’? No? Well then, get on and apply.

Of course they won’t. Are there any universities that Cranfield won’t accept an undergraduate from? No, didn’t think so.

No, hence my immense surprise when I see messages/ questions like this. Cranfield will be glad to receive an application from a UWE BSc graduate! I am sure Oxford would too!
That is a bit frequent suggests that this view (or will I say, rumor) is somehow mainstream.

Dear OP- Meet all the requirements listed in the website of the University you wish to apply for a Masters- and make that application.

Cheers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi all,

I understand your concern because I had this when I applied for MA this summer.

I think it's more to do with your own self-worth of how "good" you are or will be, at an institution that is ranked higher, because you automatically jump to "if it's high up on the list, more intense, harder" it's going to be and you then think will you manage, fit in, etc.

But as others have stated, if you meet the entry requirement, have good referees and a good PS then anything's possible. Don't overthink it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending