Quez_72
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thread for higher geography on the way up to the exam.
How is everyone finding the course so far ?
HannaMcfadyen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finding the course okay, found the physical environments part such as the hydrological cycle and the river basin management stuff pretty straightforward and enjoyable, however, I'm now struggling a bit with this new urban topic that we have moved on to :/
What about u?
Quez_72
Rep:
?
(Original post by HannaMcfadyen)
Finding the course okay, found the physical environments part such as the hydrological cycle and the river basin management stuff pretty straightforward and enjoyable, however, I'm now struggling a bit with this new urban topic that we have moved on to :/
What about u?
Yeah I’m finding the course fine we have had tests on population and Glaciation so far and did well in both of them. We are jumping about the course the now doing bits from all units currently just finished soil stuff from biosphere topic and now moving on to development and health. I think we are moving onto urban next not to sure yet. Personally I find the human stuff easier that the physical environments stuff but overall yeah I’m finding the course enjoyable and fine.
noodles99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The soils stuff is so difficult there's so many new terms and stuff and it doesn't really relate to anything else! We've started our assignment and done hydrosphere, population, climate change and soils and i would say the hardest stuff is migration and soil. Overall it's pretty fun and not too hard
Quez_72
Rep:
?
(Original post by noodles99)
The soils stuff is so difficult there's so many new terms and stuff and it doesn't really relate to anything else! We've started our assignment and done hydrosphere, population, climate change and soils and i would say the hardest stuff is migration and soil. Overall it's pretty fun and not too hard
Yeah we have done a bit of our assignment already a few weeks ago we went on our trip to do field work and the assignment is on the soils topic for us which isn’t great but the benefit of that is that by the time of exams we should be really good on soils which will be good as it’s arguably one of the hardest topics in the course.
We have now moved onto climate change which seems good and interesting so far. Seems like we have done most of the same stuff as yous although we have done Glaciation instead of hydrosphere, how is that going so far anyway ? I found the stuff on migration pretty straight forward tbh but that may just be be as I said I find the physical unit (soils etc harder) but yeah overall I am enjoying higher geog good so far
holly.king
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm really enjoying it so far, done biosphere, population, development and health and coastal. We're starting our assignments now, we have free choice on what to do. I'm unsure but i would love to do something about maps - however I'm not sure if this is even possible or what i could do! Does anyone know if you can do an assignment on maps or have any suggestions? Thanks.
Bassboy887
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah im finding the course pretty decent so far, just a lot to remember. Quick question for anyone. Can anyone help with assignment stuff? So im doing mine on sandunes but we have to explain the results and then you say why the result is what it is but the problem is i dont know why the results would be the way they are. Also you can explain the results from a different angel saying why it is NOT what it should be etc but i just cant do that, like i dont know what to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

(Original post by Quez_72)
Yeah we have done a bit of our assignment already a few weeks ago we went on our trip to do field work and the assignment is on the soils topic for us which isn’t great but the benefit of that is that by the time of exams we should be really good on soils which will be good as it’s arguably one of the hardest topics in the course.
We have now moved onto climate change which seems good and interesting so far. Seems like we have done most of the same stuff as yous although we have done Glaciation instead of hydrosphere, how is that going so far anyway ? I found the stuff on migration pretty straight forward tbh but that may just be be as I said I find the physical unit (soils etc harder) but yeah overall I am enjoying higher geog good so far
Bassboy887
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah im finding the course pretty decent so far, just a lot to remember. Quick question for anyone. Can anyone help with assignment stuff? So im doing mine on sandunes but we have to explain the results and then you say why the result is what it is but the problem is i dont know why the results would be the way they are. Also you can explain the results from a different angel saying why it is NOT what it should be etc but i just cant do that, like i dont know what to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Quez_72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Bassboy887)
I’m doing my assignment on soils sadly so will probably not be able to help plus don’t know to much about the assignment yet as we aren’t fully starting it till we go back after holiday or maybe not till March infact. But not really looking forward to it too be honest don’t really like assignments although too be fair they do usually Benefit me in the end as they boost my exam result up am pretty sure in one or 2 of my exams last year I basically went up a grade due to my assignment
Quez_72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Is it just me that has found both the Atmosphere and Hydrosphere units really hard to get my headround ? Just find some aspects of both really hard to understand, most definitely the hardest units I have studied so far (and according to my teacher probably the hardest in the course )
Quez_72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Has anyone started/currently working on their assignment ?
burton906
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Quez_72)
Has anyone started/currently working on their assignment ?
Yes im just starting my assignment and have no idea what im really doing - Im crashing hugher geography and im finding the fromat for the assignment quite hard. Any advice?
FlightVelocity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by burton906)
Yes im just starting my assignment and have no idea what im really doing - Im crashing hugher geography and im finding the fromat for the assignment quite hard. Any advice?
Advice - be careful not to fall into the trap of believing a phrase which would have got you an explanation mark in your prelim will get you a mark in the assignment. Remember that the assignment uses the 'old' marking scheme (in the good ol' days when questions were 5 marks instead of 10 but required much more depth per mark)
ni4mh18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, could anyone help me I'm trying to write my higher geography assignment, with literally no help what so ever? I don't know what I need to write about or how to set it out. I've got so far Aim and hypothesis but that's it what else do i need to talk about? Thanks.
Quez_72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Is anyone else doing their assignment on soils or at least a physical topic ?
Quez_72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Does anyone know what you can take into the assignment write up ? Is there a resource sheet or something similar like the other social subjects ?
Andrew.Macleod7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Been finding atmosphere really hard compared to the other topics
FlightVelocity
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Does anyone have any good quality notes on hydrosphere formations? BBC Bitesize are extremely basic in their explanations and none of the higher textbooks have it because it's a new addition to the course. Also, the explanations in the Nat 5 textbooks aren't up to Higher standard. The SQA have meander formation in the specimen paper but nothing else so any help would be appreciated.
SI1403
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I have example answers for a meander and a waterfall and brief explanations and diagrams for v shaped valley and ox-bow lake I could send you pictures of if you want? Also notes for the rest of the course if needed
(Original post by FlightVelocity)
Does anyone have any good quality notes on hydrosphere formations? BBC Bitesize are extremely basic in their explanations and none of the higher textbooks have it because it's a new addition to the course. Also, the explanations in the Nat 5 textbooks aren't up to Higher standard. The SQA have meander formation in the specimen paper but nothing else so any help would be appreciated.
FlightVelocity
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you could DM the notes for any hydrosphere formation related stuff that would be great. Thanks
(Original post by SI1403)
I have example answers for a meander and a waterfall and brief explanations and diagrams for v shaped valley and ox-bow lake I could send you pictures of if you want? Also notes for the rest of the course if needed
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (216)
70.59%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
18.63%
Yes but I might change my mind (33)
10.78%

Watched Threads