Higher Geography 2018-19 Watch

FlightVelocity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Alright here goes:

Explain the problems associated with housing in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with transport in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with housing in a developed world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with transport in a developed world city you have studied.

Explain the strategies used to improve housing in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve transport in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve housing in a developed world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve transport in a developed world city you have studied.

Referring to their impact, evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies on improving housing/transport in a developed/developing city you have studied.

You’ll likely find them in pairs. For example, you could easily find a question asking for problems and solutions, or one asking for solutions and their impact.
(Original post by charlie0912)
does anyone have a list of all the possible questions that could come up for urban?
Last edited by FlightVelocity; 1 month ago
charlie0912
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FlightVelocity)
Alright here goes:

Explain the problems associated with housing in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with transport in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with housing in a developed world city you have studied.
Explain the problems associated with transport in a developed world city you have studied.

Explain the strategies used to improve housing in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve transport in a developing world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve housing in a developed world city you have studied.
Explain the strategies used to improve transport in a developed world city you have studied.

Referring to their impact, evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies on improving housing/transport in a developed/developing city you have studied.

You’ll likely find them in pairs. For example, you could easily find a question asking for problems and solutions, or one asking for solutions and their impact.
that’s perfect thank you! my teacher isn’t the best, and hasn’t made it very clear. i struggle with urban the most so will need to work on it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
tbh.emmq
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone know what possible questions could come up for development and indicators of development?
petersagan1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
malaria impacts, malaria strategies, differences in development between developing countries, primary healthcare strategies, and then for the indicators it could be why using one development indicator isn't enough, how development indicators show a countries level of development with a table. hopefully the indicators don't come up but they haven't been in since 2015 and 2016 so yeah. at least everyone will be clueless so it will balance out
TheOrangeApple
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, does anyone know anything about the 20mark mapwork question? My teacher first mentioned it after our prelim, then never mentioned it again, and since we were told we couldn't revise for it (seriously?) we have no notes for it? Thanks!
ellaaaax
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi does anyone know what the possible questions that could be asked on hydrological cycle within a drainage basin?
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ellaaaax)
Hi does anyone know what the possible questions that could be asked on hydrological cycle within a drainage basin?
AFAIK, Just to explain the inputs, processes, storage and output. You may also have to draw a diagram too.
ellaaaax
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okay thank you!!
(Original post by nat5dawg)
AFAIK, Just to explain the inputs, processes, storage and output. You may also have to draw a diagram too.
ellaaaax
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
also does anyone know what you can be asked on ICTZ and global heat budget?
SI1403
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  34452923-FDDC-424C-9FF2-67F448AC139E.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  166.1 KBName:  CE45F69A-C023-44EF-8435-53379A81DEE1.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  162.2 KBName:  46EBD78F-DC0E-4CDF-A969-741BED4A614D.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  198.3 KBName:  379E46D0-8FFC-4C87-A21F-A1033A96C009.jpeg
Size:  167.8 KB
(Original post by ellaaaax)
also does anyone know what you can be asked on ICTZ and global heat budget?
This is why I’m using to make sure I know everything, think it has everything we need to know
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SI1403)
Name:  34452923-FDDC-424C-9FF2-67F448AC139E.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  166.1 KBName:  CE45F69A-C023-44EF-8435-53379A81DEE1.jpeg
Size:  162.2 KBName:  46EBD78F-DC0E-4CDF-A969-741BED4A614D.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  198.3 KBName:  379E46D0-8FFC-4C87-A21F-A1033A96C009.jpeg
Size:  167.8 KB

This is why I’m using to make sure I know everything, think it has everything we need to know
thanks a lot for this... our school gives nothing like this
SI1403
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No problem, hope it helps at least a bit
thanks a lot for this... our school gives nothing like this
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Anyone got any notes on glaciation? namely U shaped valleys?
TheOrangeApple
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really notes, but here is how a U-shaped valley is formed:

A glacier moves down a V-shaped valley with the help of Basel slippage (ice melts at base of the glacier due to pressure) and gravity. As the glacier moves down the V-shaped valley, freeze-thaw weathering occurs (meltwater percolates into rocks at the top of the sides of the valley, freezes overnights, expands, melts and pressure is released onto the rocks, eventually shattering them) and the shattered rocks fall to the base of the valley. Plucking occurs on the walls of the valley (glacier freezes over rocks from the side wall, then as the glacier moves, it "plucks" rocks from the wall) which steepens the walls. Abrasion occurs at the base of the glacier, where the glacier scrapes the floor of the valley (with the help of some scree and till fallen due to freeze-thaw), making it flatter.

The final effect is a flat value floor and steep walls, with a misfit stream snaking its way downhill. There is also something you can mention regarding truncated spurs, however, I can't quite recall that.

I hope that helps!
nat5dawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheOrangeApple)
Not really notes, but here is how a U-shaped valley is formed:

A glacier moves down a V-shaped valley with the help of Basel slippage (ice melts at base of the glacier due to pressure) and gravity. As the glacier moves down the V-shaped valley, freeze-thaw weathering occurs (meltwater percolates into rocks at the top of the sides of the valley, freezes overnights, expands, melts and pressure is released onto the rocks, eventually shattering them) and the shattered rocks fall to the base of the valley. Plucking occurs on the walls of the valley (glacier freezes over rocks from the side wall, then as the glacier moves, it "plucks" rocks from the wall) which steepens the walls. Abrasion occurs at the base of the glacier, where the glacier scrapes the floor of the valley (with the help of some scree and till fallen due to freeze-thaw), making it flatter.

The final effect is a flat value floor and steep walls, with a misfit stream snaking its way downhill. There is also something you can mention regarding truncated spurs, however, I can't quite recall that.

I hope that helps!
Thanks so much
AyrshireStudent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Talk all about how a glacier forms and you'll get the majority of marks and then finish off with a couple steps of a U-shaped Valley. It's the easiest way to get full marks as you can get 4 marks by explaining what plucking and abrasion is.
charlie0912
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks so much
mention glacial formation too. and for truncated spurs, the glacier cuts off interlocking spurs to form truncated spurs
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
FlightVelocity
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Remember that you can only be credited with a maximum of 2 marks for the formation of a glacier.

i.e.

Snow falls in a north-facing hollow on a slope [1]. It then compacts into firn and neve which is granular crystalised snow [1]. This is now a glacier and it begins to flow downhill due to gravity [1].

Although being worth 3 marks, that could only be credited with 2.
ellaaaax
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
does anyone have notes they could give me on ageing population and growing population?
Yorkr1901
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, in the revised higher do you only have to do either coastal OR glaciated upland conflicts? I was only taught Lulworth Cove (coastal).
Also is anyone else doing Newcastle as a developed world city and finding housing to be really confusing to do because I have no idea how I would do a problems with housing question with it
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads