_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I know this might seem like a rather daft/odd question. But I wanted to know if I needed to know how to read maps in geography GCAE.

I am doing IGCSE geography I wanted to know if I needed to know how to read graphs.

Also, are the case studies really that bad; like do you need to know them in depth, e.g. social effects, economic effects, causes, relief (short term & long term) etc.

And is there really a lot to learn, like is it hard to learn all the content (maybe in comparison to history)?

Thanks!
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Dave1028
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For my Geography GCSE 2018 we had to read the maps as part of source questions, it'd be very wise to get to grips on all case studies as well as a lot of questions on them come up (based on experience in the exam, only 3-4 case studies didn't come up, I forgot.). a lot of stuff however on the case studies I found to be mostly common sense for the majority, but make sure you memorize the key facts for each like death toll cause and effects of the study, and the responses, just make sure you're prepared for the paper beforehand and revise the case studies quite a bit.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dave1028)
For my Geography GCSE 2018 we had to read the maps as part of source questions, it'd be very wise to get to grips on all case studies as well as a lot of questions on them come up (based on experience in the exam, only 3-4 case studies didn't come up, I forgot.). a lot of stuff however on the case studies I found to be mostly common sense for the majority, but make sure you memorize the key facts for each like death toll cause and effects of the study, and the responses, just make sure you're prepared for the paper beforehand and revise the case studies quite a bit.
Okay thank you! What kind of maps did you have to read?
_Mia101
Rep:
?
bump
gryffindorjem14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did GCSE Geography in 2016 and we had to be able to read and understand OS maps to answer questions on them- these are pretty simple though as they tend to have keys.
Also, I would say you need to be able to do grid references and calculate distances.

In terms of case studies, they do need to be learnt in quite a lot of detail, but just learn as much as you can with some key stats and facts for each one (not too many or they’ll get mixed up). I found the amount of case studies fairly manageable at GCSE, it’s much worse at A-Level 😂
I did history GCSE too and I would say history is more content heavy, the geography theory is quite easy to learn but there are a lot of case studies.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by gryffindorjem14)
I did GCSE Geography in 2016 and we had to be able to read and understand OS maps to answer questions on them- these are pretty simple though as they tend to have keys.
Also, I would say you need to be able to do grid references and calculate distances.

In terms of case studies, they do need to be learnt in quite a lot of detail, but just learn as much as you can with some key stats and facts for each one (not too many or they’ll get mixed up). I found the amount of case studies fairly manageable at GCSE, it’s much worse at A-Level 😂
I did history GCSE too and I would say history is more content heavy, the geography theory is quite easy to learn but there are a lot of case studies.
Okay! Thank you very much. Do you have any advice on tectonic plates? I hear that that is one of the harder topics in geography.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads