The Student Room Group

Help from people doing History GCSE!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi. So I do both History and Geography with Edexcel. I would say that it is definitely quite a lot of content. I have only studied Medicine Through Time and Weimar & Nazi Germany. However I still have King John & King Richard, Mao's China & the American West left! In my exam board, we also have to analyse and make inferences of sources related to a specific time period. History is definitely about memorising key dates and any key themes within an era. It is a lot of writing but it is an essay based subject after all!

On the other hand, GCSE Geography is also a lot of work but some things may link with another topic. For example the methods of transportation are found in both the rivers and coasts topic.

Overall, I enjoy both subjects and even though there's a lot to remember it is definitely manageable!
(edited 5 years ago)
Okay. Thanks.
Original post by il_27
Hi. So I do both History and Geography with Edexcel. I would say that it is definitely quite a lot of content. I have only studied Medicine Through Time and Weimar & Nazi Germany. However I still have King John & King Richard, Mao's China & the American West left! In my exam board, we also have to analyse and make inferences of sources related to a specific time period. History is definitely about memorising key dates and any key themes within an era. It is a lot of writing but it is an essay based subject after all!

On the other hand, GCSE Geography is also a lot of work but some things may link with another topic. For example the methods of transportation are found in both the rivers and coasts topic.

Overall, I enjoy both subjects and even though there's a lot to remember it is definitely manageable!

Thank you so much! Would you say there is a lot of map reading and compass stuff, six figure and four figure grid references etc. Also, what would you say about the case studies? And what do you find hardest in geography?

Thanks again!
If you think you’ll like history as a broad term and you’re interested in learning about history, then you’ll be able to handle the workload, which is not too bad at GCSE
If you like history and think it appeals then it’s fine. I did it last year and it was fine. What topics are you doing?
Original post by History_helper.
If you think you’ll like history as a broad term and you’re interested in learning about history, then you’ll be able to handle the workload, which is not too bad at GCSE

If you like history and think it appeals then it’s fine. I did it last year and it was fine. What topics are you doing?

I do quite like history in general, more so than geography at least and I find it easy to remember facts about an event once they've been taught to me. However I worry about the actual exams and the writing etc.

Also, we got a new history teacher this year and consequently we have ZERO notes as he believes that there is too much to write🤷*♀️.

Although, they did say that our old history teacher and new teacher will pair teach from next half term, I doubt it because our old history teacher is always leaving the class for some pastoral care/ boarding house duties.

I'm doing IGCSE history.

And I'm doing for sure:

Civil rights in the USA

I think the other 3 are:
Changes in medicine
Origins and course of the first world war
Germany development of a dictatorship
I did “conflict at home and abroad in the US” is that what you mean about civil rights?
I did “conflict at home and abroad in the US” is that what you mean about civil rights?

I don't think so.034403D0-01D2-42FE-8711-FEB2D654F240.jpg.jpeg
I did all of this but we didn’t focus it on the points
I did all of this but we didn’t focus it on the points

Oh okay.
Reply 30
Original post by _Mia101
Thank you so much! Would you say there is a lot of map reading and compass stuff, six figure and four figure grid references etc. Also, what would you say about the case studies? And what do you find hardest in geography?

Thanks again!

Hey! I am so sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this site for over 3 weeks!

(Just a reminder that I am doing GCSE Geography with Edexcel).

I can confirm that there is definitely a lot of work with co-ordinates and map reading however it does depend on the topic that you are studying. For example, topic 1 is Hazardous Earth but you won't have to do map-reading and looking at co-ordinates. Whereas, topic 4 - Uk's Physical Landscapes most definitely involves this as you are looking at geology, coasts and rivers!

Now onto case studies. I think that they are definitely hard to remember unless you revise them regularly! You just need to make sure that you know key dates and where a specific event happened. Also depending on the question, you need to know specific events that support the case study. For example you would need to know the responses to a specific natural hazard and any facts for this like the name of the organisation which provided the aid.

Hope this helps and wasn't too late :smile:
Original post by il_27
Hey! I am so sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this site for over 3 weeks!

(Just a reminder that I am doing GCSE Geography with Edexcel).

I can confirm that there is definitely a lot of work with co-ordinates and map reading however it does depend on the topic that you are studying. For example, topic 1 is Hazardous Earth but you won't have to do map-reading and looking at co-ordinates. Whereas, topic 4 - Uk's Physical Landscapes most definitely involves this as you are looking at geology, coasts and rivers!

Now onto case studies. I think that they are definitely hard to remember unless you revise them regularly! You just need to make sure that you know key dates and where a specific event happened. Also depending on the question, you need to know specific events that support the case study. For example you would need to know the responses to a specific natural hazard and any facts for this like the name of the organisation which provided the aid.

Hope this helps and wasn't too late :smile:

Thanks! I decided to stick with history, although I am not entirely confident with my decision.

Just that geography doesn’t interest me in the slightest. Although history doesn’t interest me all that much. At this point in time.

Question, is it easier to get a higher grade in history or geography in your opinion?

Also, with so many topics in geography wouldn’t it be hard to remember them all? Like all the mini sub topics?

Thanks again!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by _Mia101
Thanks! I decided to stick with history, although I am not entirely confident with my decision.

Just that geography doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

Question, is it easier to get a higher grade in history or geography in your opinion?

Thanks again!

Oh okay!

Personally, I would say that it definitely does depend on how you find the subjects. From what I've gathered in this chat is that you find history easier to understand and that you grasp the context of it faster, so you should be able to get a good grade in it if that is the case.

Currently I am working at the same grade in History and Geography (which is an A btw).
Original post by il_27
Oh okay!

Personally, I would say that it definitely does depend on how you find the subjects. From what I've gathered in this chat is that you find history easier to understand and that you grasp the context of it faster, so you should be able to get a good grade in it if that is the case.

Currently I am working at the same grade in History and Geography (which is an A btw).

Yeah! I think I do. The only problem is the writing and that I'm not super interested in it.

Thanks so much! Good luck with your subjects!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending