Yodalam
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi TSR,

In the new maths A level, if I skip out some stages in my working but I get the right answer at the end of it, will I loose method marks? (Edexcel)

Also, if I miss some notation such as (x+2)(x-2) = 0 and forget the = 0 will I be deducted marks or punished even if I get the write answer?

Thanks
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes possibly marks would be deducted, just show your working fam
Yodalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
yes possibly marks would be deducted, just show your working fam
What if the working required can be done on the calculator? Do you still have to write it down
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Yodalam)
What if the working required can be done on the calculator? Do you still have to write it down
give me an exmaple, i dont get u
Yodalam
Rep:
?
So if (1-√5)(2+ √6) is PART OF the question, which is easily calculated on the calculator, do I still loose points if I don’t show full working for that calculation?
LL2018
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You are better off showing ALL marking, at least then you have chance for marks even if you get the wrong answer. You should start to get used to writing all working out, it's worth it, especially when you start C3/C4.
Yodalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by LL2018)
You are better off showing ALL marking, at least then you have chance for marks even if you get the wrong answer. You should start to get used to writing all working out, it's worth it, especially when you start C3/C4.
For the new maths a level it maybe different
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For the new maths a level it maybe different
Don't tell me you're lazy enough to chance the mark scheme and write as little as possible in your exam...
Yodalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Don't tell me you're lazy enough to chance the mark scheme and write as little as possible in your exam...
No just faster to use calculator to do it in one go instead of manually wasting time and doing it yourself.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No just faster to use calculator to do it in one go instead of manually wasting time and doing it yourself.
At A-Level you rarely get those opportunities, and even then you still need to write down what calculation your are doing (not mentally) in order to get the method mark.
Yodalam
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
At A-Level you rarely get those opportunities, and even then you still need to write down what calculation your are doing (not mentally) in order to get the method mark.
Ok then what about my question on notation.

Thanks
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok then what about my question on notation.

Thanks
Notation and correct writing is important. Maybe they would let you off if you forget =0 in one place then write it down a few lines down or something, but honestly it's best to get in the habit of keeping track of things like these.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So if (1-√5)(2+ √6) is PART OF the question, which is easily calculated on the calculator, do I still loose points if I don’t show full working for that calculation?
Just show your working by expanding and simplifying it. Stuff like that you need to show working.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed