CourtneyS97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to think of a good topic for my dissertation but really struggling and could do with some help! Im really interested in cancer and end of life, does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks so much!
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CourtneyS97)
I need to think of a good topic for my dissertation but really struggling and could do with some help! Im really interested in cancer and end of life, does anyone have any ideas?? Thanks so much!
Have you had any particular experiences in cancer or palliative care that stick out to you? Is there a particular patient who comes to mind? What was their condition? Was there an event or issue which made you feel angry or that there needed to be a change? Was there a condition or an aspect of care you experienced that you thought was innovating and that you felt passionate about?

The best ideas come from your own experience and things that you genuinely have an interest in.
CourtneyS97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Have you had any particular experiences in cancer or palliative care that stick out to you? Is there a particular patient who comes to mind? What was their condition? Was there an event or issue which made you feel angry or that there needed to be a change? Was there a condition or an aspect of care you experienced that you thought was innovating and that you felt passionate about?

The best ideas come from your own experience and things that you genuinely have an interest in.
I like the idea of pancreatic cancers low survival rates? But I don’t know how to make that into a question
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I like the idea of pancreatic cancers low survival rates? But I don’t know how to make that into a question
Are you interested in just data or patient experiences? You could compare the interventions for pancreatic cancer, you could look at the success of implementation of screening programmes, you could look at quality of life of patients living with pancreatic cancer. If you put pancreatic cancer and also 'screening', for example, into one of your journal searches, you can see the sort of evidence available.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could perhaps do something with this - but the difficulty will be in keeping it tight and focussed. The reasons for its poor prognosis ( non-specific early symptoms, late diagnoses, mets, often poor surgical picture, etc etc) are all dissertations in their own right. Could you perhaps look at one aspect of the reasons for its poor outcome - thinking about the low proportion of good candidates for surgery, maybe look at the Whipple? Or perhaps look at public education campaigns around spotting early signs and compare these to other campaigns for things like bowel cancer in terms of efficacy.
CourtneyS97
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You could perhaps do something with this - but the difficulty will be in keeping it tight and focussed. The reasons for its poor prognosis ( non-specific early symptoms, late diagnoses, mets, often poor surgical picture, etc etc) are all dissertations in their own right. Could you perhaps look at one aspect of the reasons for its poor outcome - thinking about the low proportion of good candidates for surgery, maybe look at the Whipple? Or perhaps look at public education campaigns around spotting early signs and compare these to other campaigns for things like bowel cancer in terms of efficacy.
Thanks!
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

As nexttime rightly points out, there is such a wealth of information out there that you need to keep your title fairly specific or you might be overwhelmed and unable to decide what to include or exclude.

Your interests in both Ca pancreas and in "end of life" [which actually sounds a little pessimitic, but one has to be a realist, I suppose!) narrows down the scope somewhat; It also depends on your own interests and what aspects of nursing you enjoy.

For an academic minded person, I would suggest e.g. :-

Pathophysiological: "What is the role of smoking in Ca pancreas?; does giving up smoking reduce the probability of this neoplasm occurring significantly?"

Pharmacological: "Why are we still at a stage where chemotherapy of Ca pancreas with potent drugs like gemcitabine improves prognosis very modestly if at all?"

For a more clinically-oriented practical-minded person perhaps:-
Psychological: "What aspects of the palliative care of a terminally ill cancer patient might be psychosocially most helpful to the patient and his/her family?"

Sorry I am trying to put myself in the shoes of a nurse [which, interestingly, I actually had to do for a fortnight as a clinical medical student!), and trying to read your mind at the same time!

Hope I m not wasting your time!
M
CourtneyS97
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,

As nexttime rightly points out, there is such a wealth of information out there that you need to keep your title fairly specific or you might be overwhelmed and unable to decide what to include or exclude.

Your interests in both Ca pancreas and in "end of life" [which actually sounds a little pessimitic, but one has to be a realist, I suppose!) narrows down the scope somewhat; It also depends on your own interests and what aspects of nursing you enjoy.

For an academic minded person, I would suggest e.g. :-

Pathophysiological: "What is the role of smoking in Ca pancreas?; does giving up smoking reduce the probability of this neoplasm occurring significantly?"

Pharmacological: "Why are we still at a stage where chemotherapy of Ca pancreas with potent drugs like gemcitabine improves prognosis very modestly if at all?"

For a more clinically-oriented practical-minded person perhaps:-
Psychological: "What aspects of the palliative care of a terminally ill cancer patient might be psychosocially most helpful to the patient and his/her family?"

Sorry I am trying to put myself in the shoes of a nurse [which, interestingly, I actually had to do for a fortnight as a clinical medical student!), and trying to read your mind at the same time!

Hope I m not wasting your time!
M
No not at all I am so thankful! Thank you so much for the ideas! It’s really appreciated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads