The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which Durham college should I apply to?

Preferably I would like to live at a college that fulfils most of this criteria? : (in order of importance)
1) Large chance of getting an en-suite room (I really really hate the idea of sharing rooms with one other person, as I'm a bit of a clean freak!!)
2) I love the idea of formals/gowns etc!!
3) I'm applying to study law so a college that's not too far away from the Law department would be really nice!
4) Close to shops
5) Accommodation not too expensive

Thank you!
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by cinnamoroll
Preferably I would like to live at a college that fulfils most of this criteria? : (in order of importance)
1) Large chance of getting an en-suite room (I really really hate the idea of sharing rooms with one other person, as I'm a bit of a clean freak!!)
2) I love the idea of formals/gowns etc!!
3) I'm applying to study law so a college that's not too far away from the Law department would be really nice!
4) Close to shops
5) Accommodation not too expensive

Thank you!

Only Butler can guarantee you an ensuite room (at least, until John Snow and the new college are built, but that's in a year or two and we don't yet know if they'll be ensuite or not). Some other colleges have a couple ensuites, but they are basically reserved for returners and students with specific medical needs. Butler is self-catered, and though it's furthest from the shops, that isn't a problem as almost everyone just gets shopping deliveries to college. Self-catering also means it's basically the cheapest accommodation, apart from self-catered/shared bathrooms, and I don't know if any colleges offer that. As has been mentioned, Butler is gowned, though not all the formals have a gowned dress code and there isn't a huge amount of formals - a few a term, usually. The walk down to the science site, and thus the Law dept., is quick and simple, only about 15 minutes if you're being slow.

If you couldn't tell, I think Butler may be your best bet. I am slightly biased, though.
Reply 3
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!
Original post by ccmx
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!

St Cuths has 2 sites - the Bailey and Parsons field

Parsons Field is mainly ensuite and self catered, however there is also a part catered package that you can get.

The Bailey is fully catered and isn't ensuite. There's is a strong chance of having a shared room, however the Bailey is much closer to town than Parsons field (which is 10 mins away.)

Either way, both sites get to share their facilities. Only difference is that Parson's Field would be cheaper than the Bailey as it's self catered.

I don't know much about St Mary's to give any review on it, sorry!
Reply 5
Original post by Supernovas
St Cuths has 2 sites - the Bailey and Parsons field

Parsons Field is mainly ensuite and self catered, however there is also a part catered package that you can get.

The Bailey is fully catered and isn't ensuite. There's is a strong chance of having a shared room, however the Bailey is much closer to town than Parsons field (which is 10 mins away.)

Either way, both sites get to share their facilities. Only difference is that Parson's Field would be cheaper than the Bailey as it's self catered.

I don't know much about St Mary's to give any review on it, sorry!

Thank you!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest