bcjfw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently in year 12 studying maths, history, and economics for a level. When choosing my options the LSE website said it only accepts further as a 4th and our school strongly recommended against 4 for all of us so it was basically not possible to carry them through. then I check and find an updated page saying they now take further as a third which is what I thought of doing at the beginning. now, what do I do? are my chances completely gone?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by janetjay)
I'm currently in year 12 studying maths, history, and economics for a level. When choosing my options the LSE website said it only accepts further as a 4th and our school strongly recommended against 4 for all of us so it was basically not possible to carry them through. then I check and find an updated page saying they now take further as a third which is what I thought of doing at the beginning. now, what do I do? are my chances completely gone?
Speak to LSE. Just because they accept it doesn’t mean they prefer it.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The LSE Econ course is heavily mathematical (you actually do more maths/stats modules than Econ modules in first year). For that reason, people who don't have further maths tend to struggle with the course content. Everyone I know on the course did Further Maths A-level.

Have you considered applying for Politics and Economics? - there's less maths content on that course and you might have a higher chance of acceptance.
jschohan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an offer from LSE econ without FM last year, they'll ask you on a form when they ask for your Maths scores to give a reason why you didn't chose to do further maths. FM is very important at LSE but doesn't stop you from getting an offer from there. My advice is if you end up there to go over FM in your spare time in the summer, it'll probably help out a bunch.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd note 4 including double maths seems to generally be held to be less work than 4 unrelated subjects (which is generally inadvisable). You might want to press this point with your school to encourage them to allow you to take it. If not, you could see if you can take FM as an independent candidate (the FMSP might be able to help), or perhaps in a gap year (although I'd suggest contacting LSE to confirm that would be acceptable).

However to my knowledge single honours Economics at LSE only considers FM as a fourth subject, although some other courses including Economics (such as Mathematics and Economics) do accept it as part of a three subject combination. If there is some contradicting information on their website I'd suggest contacting them directly to clarify their requirements.
ashrafzhu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm in Year 12 and currently taking Mathematics, Economics, Politics and EPQ for my A levels. My school has discouraged me in taking further mathematics as I did not take it for my GCSE's. They also added on that 3A* would be much better than 4B's, as I would most definitely struggle with further mathematics. Is LSE Economics completely out of the question as of my current situation? I head that LSE really look at your personal statement, I reckon if I get decent grades and meet the criteria for the LSE Economics admissions, A*AA plus an EPQ and a fantastic personal statement it would put me on par with students who do take FM at A level. What are your opinions on this?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashrafzhu)
I'm in Year 12 and currently taking Mathematics, Economics, Politics and EPQ for my A levels. My school has discouraged me in taking further mathematics as I did not take it for my GCSE's. They also added on that 3A* would be much better than 4B's, as I would most definitely struggle with further mathematics. Is LSE Economics completely out of the question as of my current situation? I head that LSE really look at your personal statement, I reckon if I get decent grades and meet the criteria for the LSE Economics admissions, A*AA plus an EPQ and a fantastic personal statement it would put me on par with students who do take FM at A level. What are your opinions on this?
Contact LSE and ask their advice.

If they say that you’ll be considered then apply. You have 5 choices - it’s fine to use 2-3 for riskier options as long as you have some safer choices that you would also be happy with
Taz.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ashrafzhu)
If your question is whether you will be able to do Further Maths at A-Level, seeing you didn't take it at GCSE; I did not do Further Maths at GCSE and went into Yr 12 thinking that FM would be too difficult for me. I constantly doubted myself, until I completed my first term and got an A. If you want to take FM, and want to apply for LSE Economics I would recommend taking it as the course is highly maths intensive. However if you feel like the subject is getting too much, there is always the option of dropping the subject after the first term.

My teachers encouraged that I take FM as it would give me a more competitive edge when applying for Economics at places like Cambridge and LSE. Although it is good to listen to teachers' advice, as they have a lot of experience, no person is the same. If you feel like you want to see what you can achieve, I'd reccommed trying out FM, it's not as daunting as it may seem at first.

I also am doing the EPQ, and I would not say doing the EPQ is worth it, if you're looking to do four subjects. It is highly stressful, however, if you're good at time management (I am not!), it's always good to do more than less.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jschohan)
I got an offer from LSE econ without FM last year, they'll ask you on a form when they ask for your Maths scores to give a reason why you didn't chose to do further maths. FM is very important at LSE but doesn't stop you from getting an offer from there. My advice is if you end up there to go over FM in your spare time in the summer, it'll probably help out a bunch.
Hi just wanna ask what is the form that LSE will ask? I was informed that we will straight away know whether we got an offer in the UCAS website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (241)
57.66%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.68%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.61%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.31%

Watched Threads