Is it weird if you become friends with your ex? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently, broke up with boyfriend as we feel we're not ready yet and have different priorities. Is it weird to become close friends after?
Aleks<3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Weird? No. Uncommon? Yes.

Honestly, if you two are still friends, that's great! If you broke up, that doesn't mean you need to become strangers. If you dated, then you two clearly get along, and should remain as close friends. Perhaps one day you'll start dating again, and if not, you'll still have a good friendship!

The reason why you might think it's weird is because most people try to forget their ex exists. If the reason to why they broke up was arguing/cheating, obviously being friends after what happened is unlikely. However, you two simply aren't ready, so it's nothing weird!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Yes
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
yep it is. and its hard. i tried. but i just ended up realising i still had feelings and the other person didnt. it just made things worse
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i always like to end on good terms with my girls because they are mental, the key your car, rocks at window, get their brother on you type. But sometimes they get even more enraged when I ask "let's be friends though" or something cos they think im patronising them. Almost like they wanna be angry, like being mad at me justifies their miserable existence or whatever. As a female, if you wanna actually be his friend, that's good. But like dont deceive yourself just in case he dont want you anymore.
Aleks<3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
i always like to end on good terms with my girls because they are mental, the key your car, rocks at window, get their brother on you type. But sometimes they get even more enraged when I ask "let's be friends though" or something cos they think im patronising them. Almost like they wanna be angry, like being mad at me justifies their miserable existence or whatever. As a female, if you wanna actually be his friend, that's good. But like dont deceive yourself just in case he dont want you anymore.
Oh dear that's actually scary
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Aleks<3)
Oh dear that's actually scary
lol is it..? I always ended up fine, it's only a fist fight. *But of course Id rather not go thru that.
Dumkiid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah its weird, but who tf cares if it is, if you wanna try then try
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
it's uncommon usually. but it does happen. it just feels weird when you remember that at one point you were actually together and it can feel odd breaking that mould
jameelagrada
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Recently, broke up with boyfriend as we feel we're not ready yet and have different priorities. Is it weird to become close friends after?
I see nothing wrong with that...
Rigel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was with my ex for 4 years and we're still best friends, even though we broke up quite a while ago. There is no problem with it.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on your own take. If you are both comfortable with being mates and understand eventually you'll both have different partners and would feel happy for one another then fine.

I personally, would never ever become friends with an ex. I just don't have the capacity to find that normal. Shut the door on the stage of your life and move forward from it, imo.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As others have said, it depends on the circumstances of your breakup, and how it was instigated. If there was cheating and other bad behaviour then tbh I'd rather just cut ties, but if you just fell out of love and slowly drifted apart as a couple then it could still be nice to meet up every now and again.

Being "best friends" with an ex can bring complications when one or both of you get into new relationships though. My parents split up four years ago, but other than no longer living together, it seems the same as it ever was. We go to my dad's for Christmas, we all go out with each other on birthdays and occasions etc - but I'm fairly sure that when either of them get a new partner this will no longer be possible.

When I split with my ex I agreed to stay friends but tbh I was only saving his feelings at the time, and it hasn't happened. To be honest, he hasn't even tried. I think maybe he was waiting for me to make the first move, but three years on it's not looking altogether promising!
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the breakup was amicable then it's probably fine but it really depends on the person.
Anonymous #5
Report 1 year ago
My ex is one of my best friends but in fairness we didn't date for very long and I broke up with him because I realised dating felt weird and I preferred it as friends so I don't know if that really counts...
username4278554
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey. I don't think so at all. Personally when myself and my ex broke up I couldn't talk to him for a while but as I moved on it became a lot easier to laugh about it and just appreciate the good memories you have with him Best wishes!
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's not weird but does depend on why you broke up.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
i always like to end on good terms with my girls because they are mental, the key your car, rocks at window, get their brother on you type.
Do you attract the wrong type or are you just good at really pissing them off?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sulfolobus)
Do you attract the wrong type or are you just good at really pissing them off?
neither. things just happen. Id like to say I'm improving.
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on individual people and how things ended with an ex. People tend to stay friends with exes if it was a mutual breakup. If someone was dumped though, it is unlikely as the person who was dumped would want to move on and forget about their ex.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (141)
19.67%
Labour (362)
50.49%
Liberal Democrats (99)
13.81%
Green Party (36)
5.02%
Brexit Party (9)
1.26%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.42%
SNP (14)
1.95%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.42%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.84%
SDLP (1)
0.14%
Ulster Unionist (4)