The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi everyone hope you're all okay. So it's the third week of my A levels and I'm still very confused on what to do. My two definite options are Chemistry and English Literature. For the third one, I'm currently doing French but I don't really like the syllabus and the topics taught but I'd absolutely love to learn the language. On the other hand, I feel like you don't necessarily need to have an A level in a language to really know it and I know I will struggle with many components of my final exams. I got a 9 in my French gcse but I just feel that French is entirely based on the day since you could just mess up in the speaking or listening and just fail like that, (really I'm just worried I wont do well). So now I'm thinking of changing it to psychology as I feel I'd be better at it, enjoy it and also be doing an essay subject (one of my strengths) Only problem is I know French will look a lot better and is much more respected by unis. What do I do? Oh and also I don't know what I want to be
Thank you
Original post by Miongo
Hi everyone hope you're all okay. So it's the third week of my A levels and I'm still very confused on what to do. My two definite options are Chemistry and English Literature. For the third one, I'm currently doing French but I don't really like the syllabus and the topics taught but I'd absolutely love to learn the language. On the other hand, I feel like you don't necessarily need to have an A level in a language to really know it and I know I will struggle with many components of my final exams. I got a 9 in my French gcse but I just feel that French is entirely based on the day since you could just mess up in the speaking or listening and just fail like that, (really I'm just worried I wont do well). So now I'm thinking of changing it to psychology as I feel I'd be better at it, enjoy it and also be doing an essay subject (one of my strengths) Only problem is I know French will look a lot better and is much more respected by unis. What do I do? Oh and also I don't know what I want to be
Thank you

Do take a look at the syllabus and textbook used for Psychology before making any decisions. Have you thought of any other subjects besides French and Psychology?

PS: I just finished my A Levels this June (Business, Economics and Chemistry)
Reply 2
It's up to you, and only you, of course, but I will say that you'll be absolutely nowhere close to having "learnt a language" if you do one for A level.

I never took a language for GCSE, but having spent a few years (on and off) "studying" Spanish in my spare time I was intrigued, so I looked at a few A level past papers and the activities I could do - the reading and listening - were so unbelievably simple for me it actually genuinely shocked me. I would estimate someone with a decent A2 (European Framework) level would find it quite easy. Anyone who is B1 or higher would find it a breeze.

The past papers I looked at didn't include translation questions, but I would think that'd be a particular strength of mine, and if you are B1+ I can't imagine it posing any problems.

Now, I can't speak (no pun intended) for the speaking exam, but I've heard of people coming out of university degrees in a language who can barely string basic sentences together, so I can't imagine the majority of A level students are speaking with any kind of fluency.

My point is that I doubt the academic approach to learning languages can compare to a self study approach in your spare time that focuses on listening and reading comprehension over grammar study.

I'm 100% positive it's a waste of time if your goal is to understand the spoken language and speak it well yourself. You could probably do that in far less time, and in a far less painful way going it alone.

I was so surprised at the basic level of these papers that I took to these forums to see what students had said about them. Many were saying how tough they'd found it. Some were talking about how they struggled with basic tenses. I mean, I don't know what to say really. How can a student go through 2 years of GCSE and a further 2 years of A level (the top level of school education) and still not know how to conjugate the future tense!!?? Something that anyone can do within a month with a minimal amount of exposure and effort, for ALL the tenses.

I can tell you how: The academic approach is horribly inefficient when it comes to language learning. Students don't get the kind of exposure they need. It's not their fault, but then it kind of is (for some, at least), as I suspect they don't take time away from the course to just listen and read for pleasure. Though they probably don't have much time for it with the workload from other subjects. Or at least they don't prioritise it.

So yeah, unless you're looking to specifically work as a translator or something, where you need qualifications in the language, I really wouldn't bother. Just work on it as a hobby and you'll probably reach a higher listening/speaking level in MUCH less time, if you're passionate about it.

I will say that doing an A level might be a way to spark an interest in languages, but I wouldn't do one of that interest was already there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by NotSoEz
It's up to you, and only you, of course, but I will say that you'll be absolutely nowhere close to having "learnt a language" if you do one for A level.

I never took a language for GCSE, but having spent a few years (on and off) "studying" Spanish in my spare time I was intrigued, so I looked at a few A level past papers and the activities I could do - the reading and listening - were so unbelievably simple for me it actually genuinely shocked me. I would estimate someone with a decent A2 (European Framework) level would find it quite easy. Anyone who is B1 or higher would find it a breeze.

The past papers I looked at didn't include translation questions, but I would think that'd be a particular strength of mine, and if you are B1+ I can't imagine it posing any problems.

Now, I can't speak (no pun intended) for the speaking exam, but I've heard of people coming out of university degrees in a language who can barely string basic sentences together, so I can't imagine the majority of A level students are speaking with any kind of fluency.

My point is that I doubt the academic approach to learning languages can compare to a self study approach in your spare time that focuses on listening and reading comprehension over grammar study.

I'm 100% positive it's a waste of time if your goal is to understand the spoken language and speak it well yourself. You could probably do that in far less time, and in a far less painful way going it alone.

I was so surprised at the basic level of these papers that I took to these forums to see what students had said about them. Many were saying how tough they'd found it. Some were talking about how they struggled with basic tenses. I mean, I don't know what to say really. How can a student go through 2 years of GCSE and a further 2 years of A level (the top level of school education) and still not know how to conjugate the future tense!!?? Something that anyone can do within a month with a minimal amount of exposure and effort, for ALL the tenses.

I can tell you how: The academic approach is horribly inefficient when it comes to language learning. Students don't get the kind of exposure they need. It's not their fault, but then it kind of is (for some, at least), as I suspect they don't take time away from the course to just listen and read for pleasure. Though they probably don't have much time for it with the workload from other subjects. Or at least they don't prioritise it.

So yeah, unless you're looking to specifically work as a translator or something, where you need qualifications in the language, I really wouldn't bother. Just work on it as a hobby and you'll probably reach a higher listening/speaking level in MUCH less time, if you're passionate about it.

I will say that doing an A level might be a way to spark an interest in languages, but I wouldn't do one of that interest was already there.

Thank you for replying! I totally agree with everything you're saying. It would even be a lot more fun learning a language without the stress of having it as a full A level. My only worry is that for top unis wouldn't they appreciate French way more than Psychology?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Miongo
I have and it looks really good, I know I'd enjoy it and I did think about economics but after an introduction to the course so didn't really like it.

ohh okay. You can either explore more subjects or just finalise a subject that you will genuinely love to study throughout the 2 years
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by virtualcounselor
Do take a look at the syllabus and textbook used for Psychology before making any decisions. Have you thought of any other subjects besides French and Psychology?

Thank you for replying! And I have looked at the syllabus and know that I would really enjoy it. And I did try economics but after an introduction to the course I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would :frown:
Dont take French as one of your A-levels because even for a student who got A* in French in GCSE, i found it hard when i picked it for A Levels.
but thats just my advice!

<3
Reply 8
Original post by Miongo
Thank you for replying! I totally agree with everything you're saying. It would even be a lot more fun learning a language without the stress of having it as a full A level. My only worry is that for top unis wouldn't they appreciate French way more than Psychology?

They may well do, however, as I said in my earlier reply, it seems like a lot of people struggle with it coming from GCSE. You did get a 9 though, so maybe you'll find it alright, I don't know.

Lots of people say they wish they never took a language at A level as it's so time consuming. I can see that being the case if your level is VERY low. I don't know what the step up is from GCSE, but if universities value it as much as people say then I guess they see it as a tough subject to do well in.

As I said though, you won't be anywhere near functional at the end of it, unless you put in extra hours everyday where you're doing things you enjoy and exposing yourself to it outside of the course.

Knowing what I know of language learning, if you really wanted to do it, I'd recommend spending 1-2 hours a day, everyday, just living in French (that's on top of the A level work). If you like watching T.V in your spare time, watch French TV (Children's TV at first). Read French books. Find a course outside of the A level course and tackle that. When I was a beginner I used 'Coffee Break Spanish' to help get my feet wet with the grammar (they do a French course). Find as many transcripts with audio as possible (lots of free stuff online) and learn words and phrases in context. Listen and read as much as is possible. Listen to podcasts, radio shows, watch YouTube videos etc. You really can't "mess up the listening" if you've done a LOT of it.

I'm quite sure that doing this extra stuff outside of the A level course will have a larger impact on your exam result than the A level course itself will.

Just to say, if the only reason you want to do it is because you think it'll look good to universities, I wouldn't bother. Language learning is actually easy, but it takes time, it's a commitment for sure, and you'll probably struggle considerably if don't have the passion needed to integrate French into your everyday life.
Reply 9
Original post by Aadilkharl123
Dont take French as one of your A-levels because even for a student who got A* in French in GCSE, i found it hard when i picked it for A Levels.

Well did it at least end well? And did it give you any advantages on applications to have done a language?
Original post by Miongo
Well did it at least end well? And did it give you any advantages on applications to have done a language?

I got into the university i wanted to without even doing a language A level
Reply 11
Original post by Aadilkharl123
I got into the university i wanted to without even doing a language A level

Congratulations
Original post by Miongo
Thank you for replying! And I have looked at the syllabus and know that I would really enjoy it. And I did try economics but after an introduction to the course I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would :frown:

No worries, everyone feels different about various subjects. It's best that you take a subject that you not only enjoy but will also find useful / could possibly make use of in the future, when applying for a university course :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
No worries, everyone feels different about various subjects. It's best that you take a subject that you not only enjoy but will also find useful / could possibly make use of in the future, when applying for a university course :smile:

I will Thank you
Reply 14

What uni course are you doing/thinking of doing? Sounds like a really good combination
Original post by Miongo
What uni course are you doing/thinking of doing? Sounds like a really good combination

A joint major in Business and Economics but I'll initially start with Economics alone for a year and then do the joint major.

I really wanted to study Chemistry with Business since I've always loved Chemistry but never wanted to learn it on its own and instead with another subject - but the grade requirements are pretty high for such combinations so I thought of just sticking to Business and Economics
Reply 16
A joint major in Business and Economics but I'll initially start with Economics alone for a year and then do the joint major.

I really wanted to study Chemistry with Business since I've always loved Chemistry but never wanted to learn it on its own and instead with another subject - but the grade requirements are pretty high for such combinations so I thought of just sticking to Business and Economics

Still sounds like a pretty good degree. I also love chemistry just on it's own can't deal with the other sciences 😂. Wish you good luck with it!!
Original post by Miongo
Still sounds like a pretty good degree. I also love chemistry just on it's own can't deal with the other sciences 😂. Wish you good luck with it!!

Hehe thanks! Trust me, Chemistry is the only science I prefer 😂 The rest of them are complicated
Reply 18
Hehe thanks! Trust me, Chemistry is the only science I prefer 😂 The rest of them are complicated

Ditched bio after the first 2 weeks 😂 and wouldn't even dream of going near Physics. Chem is just the right balance
Original post by Miongo
Ditched bio after the first 2 weeks 😂 and wouldn't even dream of going near Physics. Chem is just the right balance

Yesss. Lmao I did Biology only until checkpoints, Physics until IGCSE and Chemistry until the end of year 13 😂

Quick Reply

Latest