history a level - the fall of the tsar how do I answer the question Watch

sixthformer77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am having a bit of trouble about making answering the question- "to what extent do you believe that main cause of the fall of the Tsar Nicholas II was because of Russia's involvement in the WWI?" I am not sure about the way I have structured it, is this how a level history questions are answered?

would this be a fine way to answer it;
Introduction;
There are range of reasons that highlights the main reasons to the fall of Tsar Nicholas II. Due to his ineffective leadership skills and ignorant attitude towards Russia's social, economic and political problems this then led to Tsar suffering the immense lose of his regime.

One of the main causes to the fall of Tsar Nicholas II was because of Russia's involvement in World War One. This is indicated as because of the Tsar's horrendous organisation and very poor leadership skills, the army suffered from severe shortages of equipment and essential supplies. This was not due to the underspending for the military equipment but the lack of communication and liaison made between the government departments responsible for the equipment. Despite its takeover of the transport system the army still also suffered from food shortages, which led them to be underfed. The army was hampered-by the shortages of the following; rifles , clothing and medical supplies.1917 1.5 million of the Russian soldiers have been murdered in the battle where as 4 million of the soldiers were severely wounded. Many of these injured soldiers die for the fact of the lack of the medical supplies being give to them. What we can infer from this is that the fall of Tsar and his regime was because of Russia's involvement in the World War I, his unorganised ways and high levels of inexperienced costs many people their lives , his poor communication with the government responsible for the essentials and mainly his ineffective leaderships skills in agreeing to make Russia who were already struggling go to war that require high levels of experience and strong leadership was not being conveyed at all. The fact that many people die, many loved ones would make the people at him feel an instant rush of anger towards the Tsar, their attitude would swiftly change from cold to hostile which then led to opposition against Nicholas II and him being overthrown by revolutionaries. This shows how Russia's involvement in the war was one of the main causes of the fall of the Tsar
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cydney.wb
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sixthformer77)
I am having a bit of trouble about making answering the question- "to what extent do you believe that main cause of the fall of the Tsar Nicholas II was because of Russia's involvement in the WWI?" I am not sure about the way I have structured it, is this how a level history questions are answered?

Introduction;
There are range of reasons that highlights the main reasons to the fall of Tsar Nicholas II. Due to his ineffective leadership skills and ignorant attitude towards Russia's social, economic and political problems this then led to Tsar suffering the immense lose of his regime.

One of the main causes to the fall of Tsar Nicholas II was because of Russia's involvement in World War One. This is indicated as because of the Tsar's horrendous organisation and very poor leadership skills, the army suffered from severe shortages of equipment and essential supplies. This was not due to the underspending for the military equipment but the lack of communication and liaison made between the government departments responsible for the equipment. Despite its takeover of the transport system the army still also suffered from food shortages, which led them to be underfed. The army was hampered-by the shortages of the following; rifles , clothing and medical supplies.1917 1.5 million of the Russian soldiers have been murdered in the battle where as 4 million of the soldiers were severely wounded. Many of these injured soldiers die for the fact of the lack of the medical supplies being give to them. What we can infer from this is that the fall of Tsar and his regime was because of Russia's involvement in the World War I, his unorganised ways and high levels of inexperienced costs many people their lives , his poor communication with the government responsible for the essentials and mainly his ineffective leaderships skills in agreeing to make Russia who were already struggling go to war that require high levels of experience and strong leadership was not being conveyed at all. The fact that many people die, many loved ones would make the people at him feel an instant rush of anger towards the Tsar, their attitude would swiftly change from cold to hostile which then led to opposition against Nicholas II and him being overthrown by revolutionaries. This shows how Russia's involvement in the war was one of the main causes of the fall of the Tsar
If this is for coursework then I am doing relatively the same question and our answers are structured more like a debate, so I include other factors that could be seen as the main cause in separate paragraphs then make an executive decision as to which was the main cause and justify this in the conclusion
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You did not make an argument in your opening paragraph, all you did was state an obvious fact. Yes there are a range of reasons, what of it?
Don't be afraid to start out with an argument - there are no wrong answers, if you can back it up with evidence. Was WW1 a major factor that brought a previously stable regime down, or did it just merely accelerate the downfall started by his ineffective leadership?
Last edited by Sinnoh; 4 months ago
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago

Introduction;

What did you get for GCSE?
History requires you to answer the question.
Your argument is poor, disorganised and unfocused.

Read the question its asking you to what extent, which means how far is it true? Its accepted that WW1 and their involvement in the war played some part, but you are being asked how significant was it when compared to all the other factors i.e weigh things up and then write an essay showing how you explores the questions and how you weighed up the evidence of the war causing the downfall v other factors.

You then reach an evaluative conclusion saying how far which could vary from it was the only, the most significant, just one of many to only a small factor to not important at all. Explain why you found that to be the case. You dont do that and your essay is poor as a result.

Try planning your essay and breaking down the argument into points.

10 reasons how WW1 undermined the Tsar.
10 reasons why other issues undermined him.
sixthformer77
Rep:
?
thank you for your help but I have a question is it just my introduction that is really bad or my first argument?

sorry I am just confused with the whole a level essay history structure I don't normally write like this
p.s I got a 8
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thank you for your help but I have a question is it just my introduction that is really bad or my first argument?

sorry I am just confused with the whole a level essay history structure I don't normally write like this
p.s I got a 8
I think the introduction is the main issue. My other issue with it so far is, you've spent a lot of time on not saying particularly much. A huge factor here is that the Tsar went off to command in 1915, which leads to him being blamed for the failings in the war. That really should've been mentioned.

Also, you've really just started your paragraph by stating a fact. Yes WW1 was a main cause, but to what extent? Tigger's advice is good. Make counterpoints to your argument as well, weigh it up and base your conclusion not only on the reasons for your argument, but the reasons against your argument.

You just seem nervous about making an actual argument. As long as you can back up what you're arguing with evidence, don't be afraid to give an opinion.
sixthformer77
Rep:
?
Thank you so much appreciate it
Aadilkharl123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How many marks is the question?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago

p.s I got a 8
I dont like much of it because you arent focused on the question.

The focus is fall of the Tsar and contributing factors.
War Losses v other factors.

Try bullet pointing the WW1 factors 1,2,3,4,5,6.
Overview of what happened- then what effect they had on undermining the Tsar.

Your focus is on the wrong question really as its mostly on why they lost the war. That is a different question as to why each of these factors destabilise the Tsar. If you dont answer the question then you get a poor mark.

Some ideas on the effect of the war.

If I lose battles why would that make the tsar weaker?
If I engage in war then what about the cost?
If people die? What effect?
If the battles are also lost because of the Tsar issuing military orders?
If the organisation looks incompetent what effect?
If there is no leadership or the war is unpopular then what effect?
If all the men are away fighting then what effect back home on the people and environment.?
sixthformer77
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I think the introduction is the main issue. My other issue with it so far is, you've spent a lot of time on not saying particularly much. A huge factor here is that the Tsar went off to command in 1915, which leads to him being blamed for the failings in the war. That really should've been mentioned.

Also, you've really just started your paragraph by stating a fact. Yes WW1 was a main cause, but to what extent? Tigger's advice is good. Make counterpoints to your argument as well, weigh it up and base your conclusion not only on the reasons for your argument, but the reasons against your argument.

You just seem nervous about making an actual argument. As long as you can back up what you're arguing with evidence, don't be afraid to give an opinion.

would this be fine for a paragraph?
Russia's involvement in world war one the main cause of the fall of Tsar Nicholas II, this was because of the Tsar's critical decision made by himself in 1915 when he formally took direct command of Russia's armed services. This is evident as by Nicholas the II making himself command-in- chief he was now personally responsible for Russia's performance of the war. This meant that if Russia won the war the Tsar would receive the credit however if Russia was defeated all the blame for the defeat and hate would be pinned against him. Under his command the Russian army suffered potent misfortune; the army was severely hampered the lack of equipment e.g. riffles, clothing and medical supplies, they received inadequate training as well as food shortages and by 1917 the soldiers were ill equipped and underfed, they were depicted as "peasants in uniform", they all felt defeatism and pessimism. This indicates that Russia's involvement in ww1 was the main cause of the fall of the Tsar, this was because Tsar had portrayed himself as inexperience and ineffective leader, he did not convey any strong leadership that the war effort desperately needed, the war went badly the country lost under his command which allowed people to all the blame and hate towards their leader. Due to the country being involved in the war and failing under the Tsar people at home would begin to view the Tsar as inept military leader, he had cause the fatherland to fail miserably this would have led to low morale and anger towards Nicholas II.The people would begin to join political groups that went against the Tsar has he had proven himself to be a unsuccessful leader. They would join with political revolutionary group such social revolutionary or social democratic who opposed against the tsarist regime and wanted to overthrow or they would join zemgor a non governmental organisation that believed there was workable alternative to Tsardom. This shows that immense fall of the tsarist system and the Tsar was due to Russia's involvement in the First World War.
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
would this be fine for a paragraph?
Russia's involvement in world war one the main cause of the fall of Tsar Nicholas II, this was because of the Tsar's critical decision made by himself in 1915 when he formally took direct command of Russia's armed services. This is evident as by Nicholas the II making himself command-in- chief he was now personally responsible for Russia's performance of the war. This meant that if Russia won the war the Tsar would receive the credit however if Russia was defeated all the blame for the defeat and hate would be pinned against him. Under his command the Russian army suffered potent misfortune; the army was severely hampered the lack of equipment e.g. riffles, clothing and medical supplies, they received inadequate training as well as food shortages and by 1917 the soldiers were ill equipped and underfed, they were depicted as "peasants in uniform", they all felt defeatism and pessimism. This indicates that Russia's involvement in ww1 was the main cause of the fall of the Tsar, this was because Tsar had portrayed himself as inexperience and ineffective leader, he did not convey any strong leadership that the war effort desperately needed, the war went badly the country lost under his command which allowed people to all the blame and hate towards their leader. Due to the country being involved in the war and failing under the Tsar people at home would begin to view the Tsar as inept military leader, he had cause the fatherland to fail miserably this would have led to low morale and anger towards Nicholas II.The people would begin to join political groups that went against the Tsar has he had proven himself to be a unsuccessful leader. They would join with political revolutionary group such social revolutionary or social democratic who opposed against the tsarist regime and wanted to overthrow or they would join zemgor a non governmental organisation that believed there was workable alternative to Tsardom. This shows that immense fall of the tsarist system and the Tsar was due to Russia's involvement in the First World War.
It's better, although you've sort of repeated your answer in the middle there. You should also include some counterpoints - there was a surge in patriotism and support for the Tsar at the beginning of the war, too. But... (etc).
Another issue here is that you're not being specific enough. Okay, you mention the zemgor, the kadets and the SRs, that's a good start.

Some facts you could use:
The army joined in the protests in February 1917 - that's also why the protests couldn't be suppressed. Widespread desertion of the Petrograd garrison.
Severe inflation due to quantitative easing and abandoning the gold standard in order to cope with the economic demands of the war. Wages double, but living costs quadruple.
The supply demands of the war badly disrupted the transport infrastructure causing food shortages that led to increased unrest in the cities.

And all of this is showing that the Tsarist administration is incapable of dealing with crises. His ineptitude becomes more and more obvious as the war progresses, with former supporters and allies of the Tsar becoming totally disillusioned. That's what WW1 does.

But then, was it already doomed before the war? You'll have to address that too. General strike of 1914, Lena Goldfields incident of 1912, assassination of Stolypin in 1911, does this suggest that Tsardom was unsustainable anyway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (145)
58.7%
No (102)
41.3%

Watched Threads