The Student Room Group

Dropping out 1-2 weeks after first induction 1st yr

1st year If dropping out after only doing 2 wks, 3 wks for accommodation.
Maintenance loan only came through wk2
Uni confirmed they will only take charge on room for the time I was there.
Will I loose first term of course money? (I want to change course and uni)
Can any monies already taken be paid back in instalments?

Thanks
Original post by Tcuzz

Thanks

Make sure you have formally withdrawn by completing the official form. Get confirmation there will be no fees liability or check the rules and the date of you leaving.

You will not lose first term money if the above is confirmed and your new uni should get the full fees.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Make sure you have formally withdrawn by completing the official form. Get confirmation there will be no fees liability or check the rules and the date of you leaving.

You will not lose first term money if the above is confirmed and your new uni should get the full fees.

Thank you will double check the paperwork has been done :-)
Original post by Tcuzz

Thanks

Are you planning on swapping uni this term or starting again next year? That will determine whether you have been overpaid for maintenance.

You need to check with your university what the tuition fee implications are. That’s dependant on your term dates, your withdrawal date and your university terms and conditions.

Any maintenance classed as an overpayment will have to be repaid asap (although SFE are very reasonable to work out a repayment plan that won’t leave you in poverty). Anything else is treated like normal student loan debt - repayed when you earn over £25k
Reply 4
I could not get the course or uni I wanted to change to this year so looking at next year.

How do I know what may have been overpaid?
Is that all monies spent on accommodation so far, or any monies used out of maintenance from the start or only from when I dropped out? (only accommodation money used)
Original post by Tcuzz
I could not get the course or uni I wanted to change to this year so looking at next year.

Is that all monies spent on accommodation so far, or any monies used out of maintenance from the start or only from when I dropped out? (only accommodation money used)

The loan that was paid into your bank account was to cover you from your enrolment until January. If you leave your course before January then SFE will work out how much of that instalment was "overpaid" and send you a letter explaining this. It's likely that the vast majority of your first loan instalment will be classed as an overpayment (you've only studied for 1-2 weeks out of 12). The letter will have details on how to contact SFE to arrange a repayment plan for the overpaid loan.
Original post by Tcuzz

I thought you were going for a new uni straight away.
You need to clarify with SFE, but the maintenance part is given to you on the basis you are a student. It is not yours to keep and you should return it to sfe. You should check whether they want it all back, but even more important check whether the amount used on maintenance will be waived of they intend to recover that as well. Check your overall finance entitlement is not affected i.e they dont count the 3 weeks as using a years finance entitlement.

If not then they are likely to write off the 3 weeks. You can also try and negotiate for a few weeks more money to give you time to switch to normal benefits or get a job.

You left at the right time.
You need to clarify with SFE, but the maintenance part is given to you on the basis you are a student. It is not yours to keep and you should return it to sfe. You should check whether they want it all back, but even more important check whether the amount used on maintenance will be waived of they intend to recover that as well. Check your overall finance entitlement is not affected i.e they dont count the 3 weeks as using a years finance entitlement.

If not then they are likely to write off the 3 weeks. You can also try and negotiate for a few weeks more money to give you time to switch to normal benefits or get a job.

The cutoff for SFE to consider a year of finance used is 2 weeks from the start of the course (as listed in the term dates given to them by the university). anyone withdrawing on that day or after will be classed as using up a year of their funding.
Reply 8

Doing my best to get to the uni and course I want straight away . Fingers crossed.
Original post by PQ
The cutoff for SFE to consider a year of finance used is 2 weeks from the start of the course (as listed in the term dates given to them by the university). anyone withdrawing on that day or after will be classed as using up a year of their funding.

Would this be the case even where the uni has decided there was no fee liability? That would seem to be contrary to common sense.

I was also wondering whether this was just fees or it includes any use of maintenance monies.

Finally whether such monies can be returned to restore the financial status?
Original post by Tcuzz
Doing my best to get to the uni and course I want straight away . Fingers crossed.

If it doesnt happen then taking a gap is fine.
Sorting out and preserving finance would be my priority.
Would this be the case even where the uni has decided there was no fee liability? That would seem to be contrary to common sense.

I was also wondering whether this was just fees or it includes any use of maintenance monies.

Finally whether such monies can be returned to restore the financial status?

SFE and common sense don't normally go together. Even if a university decides no fee liability, or the living costs loan has been repaid in full they still count anything longer than 2 weeks attendance as a year of funding/study.

They count the same if people study outside the UK or self fund....any study counts as a year of study.
Original post by PQ
SFE and common sense don't normally go together. Even if a university decides no fee liability, or the living costs loan has been repaid in full they still count anything longer than 2 weeks attendance as a year of funding/study.

They count the same if people study outside the UK or self fund....any study counts as a year of study.

I know about the self funding, but I cant see the basis of it standing if the uni decides that there is no fee liability and the position is restored back to what it was.

Quick Reply

Latest