Home Educated UCAS Application - no predicted grades!

Watch
artybadger34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm home educated, currently taking A Levels, and will be applying to uni soon for English Literature and Creative Writing. I mainly direct and organise my own study, with my mum helping me wherever I need it and making sure I stay on track. The problem with all of this is, not having an official tutor or teacher, I won't have any predicted grades for my UCAS application.

I've been to a couple of university open days and asked the tutors and admissions desks about it. Most of them have said it shouldn't be a problem, and I should email the tutor directly once I've applied, just to explain why I don't have predicted grades. They said they'll probably look more closely at my GCSE grades, there's a very small possibility I'll have to do an interview, and there's no/very little chance I would get an unconditional offer (which is fine because that's rare in English anyway I think).

Is there anyone already at uni who also didn't have predicted grades? What did you do? Is it OK to leave the box empty or should I write n/a or something? Thanks in advance.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artybadger34)
I'm home educated, currently taking A Levels, and will be applying to uni soon for English Literature and Creative Writing. I mainly direct and organise my own study, with my mum helping me wherever I need it and making sure I stay on track. The problem with all of this is, not having an official tutor or teacher, I won't have any predicted grades for my UCAS application.

I've been to a couple of university open days and asked the tutors and admissions desks about it. Most of them have said it shouldn't be a problem, and I should email the tutor directly once I've applied, just to explain why I don't have predicted grades. They said they'll probably look more closely at my GCSE grades, there's a very small possibility I'll have to do an interview, and there's no/very little chance I would get an unconditional offer (which is fine because that's rare in English anyway I think).

Is there anyone already at uni who also didn't have predicted grades? What did you do? Is it OK to leave the box empty or should I write n/a or something? Thanks in advance.
Predicted grades aren't entered in a box on the UCAS form and the student doesn't enter them. They're usually provided by your referee.

I'm slightly surprised by what you've been told by admissions tutors as many people have had problems applying without a referee. If you have a referee available (e.g. youth group leader, employer etc) who just can't predict your grades, I'd ask them to explain why they aren't predicting grades.

I would also want to get admissions tutors to confirm what they've said in writing, as it does sound a bit unusual.
artybadger34
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Predicted grades aren't entered in a box on the UCAS form and the student doesn't enter them. They're usually provided by your referee.

I'm slightly surprised by what you've been told by admissions tutors as many people have had problems applying without a referee. If you have a referee available (e.g. youth group leader, employer etc) who just can't predict your grades, I'd ask them to explain why they aren't predicting grades.

I would also want to get admissions tutors to confirm what they've said in writing, as it does sound a bit unusual.
Oh, I wasn't saying I was applying without a referee. I will have a reference but I just won't have predicted grades. That's a good idea to have them not me explain it to the tutor. Thanks for the advice.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by artybadger34)
Oh, I wasn't saying I was applying without a referee. I will have a reference but I just won't have predicted grades. That's a good idea to have them not me explain it to the tutor. Thanks for the advice.
Ah, I see, that makes more sense. I would follow the advice of admissions tutors then, but also get your referee to explain how they know you and the areas they do/don't feel able to comment on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (587)
34.19%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (709)
41.29%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (343)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.54%

Watched Threads