ES2001
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Buckle up for the thrills, spills and complete meltdowns to come in the next year.

I'm Emily and I'm taking French, Media Studies and English Literature A level.

Media and English are fine, I'm at a A and a B (respectively) for them, but coursework is killing me, so prepare for incoming rants.

I'm going to be honest, to do media production at uni next year, I only need my English and media. I could do any other A level, but I decided to make life difficult for myself and take one of the hardest subjects: French. French is hard, I'm currently on a D, and I have nine months to change it to a B. Impossible, no way. Welcome, traveller, to Emily's Quest, there is no turning back now.

I'm going to try and post an update every Friday, let's see how this goes.
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ES2001)
Buckle up for the thrills, spills and complete meltdowns to come in the next year.

I'm Emily and I'm taking French, Media Studies and English Literature A level.

Media and English are fine, I'm at a A and a B (respectively) for them, but coursework is killing me, so prepare for incoming rants.

I'm going to be honest, to do media production at uni next year, I only need my English and media. I could do any other A level, but I decided to make life difficult for myself and take one of the hardest subjects: French. French is hard, I'm currently on a D, and I have nine months to change it to a B. Impossible, no way. Welcome, traveller, to Emily's Quest, there is no turning back now.

I'm going to try and post an update every Friday, let's see how this goes.
Welcome to the Grow your Grades community, good for you for trying to challenge yourself! Look forward to following your journey.
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 1: The Awakening

Welcome, brave traveller, to the start of this quest, it's going to be a long haul, so I hope you packed your trail mix. I haven't figured out the structure of these blog entries yet so I'm just going with the flow. We're going to start off talking about all three subjects separately, and then an exiting news section as the end, so stay tuned for that!!

French
- I had a bit of a mid-week dip for this one. We all walked into class on Wednesday craving a swift end, but I've tried to pick it up since then and done lots of grammar (yay!). I SUCK at grammar, by the way, it's the bane of my life. Anyway, to help lift our mood, we're introducing cake Monday! So yeah, my will to French is replenished. I've been watching lots of French stuff too, if you're also doing French (or just interested, good for you!) I'll link them below from your enjoyment. I can never be bothered to watch a full French movie, a bunch of shorter clips are best for me

http://focus.tv5monde.com/mythologies/reportages/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZny...v9bvs19868yJiJ
And just for fun...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJWugjchhQ

English
So I had a surprise essay today which was brilliant because I didn't plan it properly. But I finished it thought it was still probably better than my NEA.
I feel like I've dug myself into a whole with NEA (Non-examined assessment for those not in the know) and I have no idea how to get out. I'm well under the word limit, some of my points make no sense and go on massive tangents, and some of them... are probably some of the best analysis paragraphs I've done. It's a bit of a mixed bag. But I don't know how to turn it into a good bag. Oh yeah, and I actually made a mind map for revision, and it's super pretty.

Media Studies
At the moment, media is essentially just coursework, which is probably my favourite part. We have to do a magazine double page spread, so I've been stealing loads of ideas from a copy of Rocksound (I don't even like rock??). I still need to take pictures for it, but I can't find the cameras, and the department is all a bit of a mess right now. We'll sort it out.

Exiting News
Ohhh congrats, you made it to the end. My exiting news for this week is that I've got onto a film course residential thing for this February half term. So I'm thins much closer to becoming a media producer. I'm super exited, it's gonna be ace.

That's all for this week. Maybe you enjoyed it, maybe you didn't, maybe you didn't read anything and skipped to the end, in which case, why??
But one thing is for certain, I'm done writing for this week
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 2: The First Hurdle

I wish I could say that I loved school, studying, essay and exams like a lot of people on here seem to. But I don't. Honestly, they make me feel like garbage sometimes. I'm having my first "study crisis" since starting this blog, so I hope you're ready for some hones-tea.

Overall Rant
I'm really angry at the pressure being put on us this year, it's properly grinding my years. Every teen movie I've ever watched about senior year is a lie, because I'm not having adventures or epic romances, I am spending my time:
a) studying
b) stressing out because I'm not studying and should be, and I'm wasting my time and time is running out
...and it sucks.
Maybe I'll be over it after today. At the start of the year I promised myself that I was going to keep a PMA (positive mental attitude) and even through, literally 2 months later, I want to rip out my hair with my bare hands, I intend to stick with the original plan. So here we go, the run-down of all my subjects for this week + exciting news

French
French has unfortunately taken a back seat this week. I say unfortunately because it's the one which I'm least likely to pass hahahahahaha.
Anyway
I've listened to some more of that French audio series from last week, and finished off a film on Netflix called 2 Alone in Paris (it was alright). Mainly, I've been stressing about French, as I spend most of my time doing, I still feel like I'm the worst in the class (where did PMA go?), but I can work to change that... next week

English Lit
This week I was hit with the ugly truth that I have two weeks to write my coursework essay. (yay:albertein:) So I started working on it, I sat in the library listening to the entire Mean Girls musical soundtrack (happy October 3rd!) and made a cracking plan. And now I'm about halfway through the essay, so that's a win for this week, although my wording and grammar is UGLY so I need to sort that out. So apart from the fact that it is stressing me the hell out, English is great

Media Studies
I keep procrastinating taking the photos for the magazine cover I need to do. And that needs to stop. I'm doing it next week, there, I said it online now, so I have to. Not that anyone reads this blog, I just write it for therapy because I need it hahahahahahaha

Exiting News
Sorry about the negativity, I just want this blog to be honest, and I'm not feeling great right now, but we can end on some positives. Also I literally just decided to rename this section...

WINS OF THE WEEK :bubbles:
Welcome to wins of the week, the section that forces me to say something positive!
This week, I've been writing lots of poetry! Which is helpful for English, and also just for fun, we all need a bit of that.
I've also been cast in a play called Punk Rock and I've got a pretty good part that I'm really excited about. (I act btw, I don't think I've said that before)
I made a lamb curry last night, like a real adult! Look at me go!

Wishing you all a week with minimal mental breakdowns
Emily
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello Emily! I'm also taking Media Studies A Level!
ES2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Hello Emily! I'm also taking Media Studies A Level!
Hi! I really love media studies, I hope you like it too!
PS. Nice name
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 3: Deadlines and Dead-ends

Welcome back, dear traveller to week three of my perilous quest. It's still stressful. But I'm learning to have a good time, because this is my last year of school and I need to make the most of it, because I know I'm going to actually miss it once it's over, no matter how much I hate it now. So, let's break down the week, and see what's been going on!!

French
I've been plodding along with French, doing a lot of extra grammar, actually getting my homework done :angel:. We've done a lot of speaking this week, which either gives me a lot of confidence and make me realise how rewarding languages are, and how beautiful it is that we can communicate in a completely different language to English. Or it sucks all my confidence as I realise that I can't speak French, or even English for that matter. but luckily I've been experiencing more of the first one recently. Watching French stuff really helps!! When I've been listening to lots of French and my mum comes in my room, I've actually started speaking French to her because I pick it up. The wonders of the human brain! :pierre:

Media Studies
I feel bad...
Guys, I haven't done the magazine photos, HOWEVER I am definitely doing it tomorrow. My magazine is looking really good despite the lack of photos, I absolutely love doing practical work in media (that's why I'm doing it at uni, duh). I showed my music video to my mum and she really liked it, so that's all that matters, really. I have two weeks till the deadline, let's do this!! :dance:

English Lit
My NEA is in on Monday. I'm trying not to freak out about it. I have a full draft of it now but it needs re-editing and re-working to actually become good. Honestly, I'm hoping to get a B or a C in it. An A would be nice, obviously, but I've found writing it really hard and a lot of pressure because we've been given so much time and I think I write better when I only have about an hour to do it. Therefore, most of my grade will be relying on the exam which is the position I want to be in, rather than the other way around. Time to make this essay the best it can be!!

Wins of the Week :crown:
We made it folks! Another week at school down. I'm hoping that you noticed my increased PMA this week, and that's because I have changed my attitude. My new motto is:
"One week at a time"
Which essentially means that you shouldn't try and set giant challenges for yourself to overcome, create smaller and easier obstacles in order to overcome the mountain ahead. I'm hoping that makes sense. I think the quote explains itself and I've complicated it, oh well. This new motto is like a mantra that I repeat to myself when I can feel the stress building and it really helps.
Anyway, here's my list of wins:
- I've got a job! I'm going to be a Christmas elf who takes children to meet Santa. This is not a joke, I'm working in one of those shopping centre grottos. Merry Christmas y'all :cracker:
- I've started a poetry account on Instagram (It's under the name "felicity.garnet" if you're interested)

I can't think of anything else but that doesn't mean it's been a bad week. It's been a good week! Keep that PMA!

I wish you all a positive week
Emily
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Best of luck !
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 4: Coursework Chaos!

Welcome back, dear travellers to another week of school, and although it is half-term for some, it is not for me for another week :clap2:, brilliant. The last week of term is going to be pretty hectic, with a French test and media deadline, but for now, let's focus on what I got up to this week. :007:

French

Not too bad this week. I asked for an extension on my homework (a presentation) because of my English NEA, and handed it in the next day, and that went really well. I chose to do a presentation to improve my speaking because it really needs work, it is HARD. I also had my first session with a French tutor, and she's really nice and all her advice is super helpful, so that should hopefully boost my grade. I've been doing so much extra work in French to catch up with the rest of my class and I'm hoping that it's starting to pay off, I find French really difficult, but I'm hoping that I reach a point where everything clicks into place, like it did for German in year 11.

English Lit

After a super intense weekend of marathoning my NEA, it is finally submitted and complete. I'm going to be honest, I'm worried because I can't tell if it is good or not. I've never written an essay like that before, all I've written about for the past three years is Love Through The Ages :heart: and this essay is on class, so it's completely different. It's also so much longer than anything else I've ever written, but honestly, the best thing I can do now is just forget about it, and work on doing well in the exam. And, yes, I have already started revising for it, because those notes won't make themselves :work:
Media Studies

I did it! I did the photoshoot! I hope you're proud of me, I'm proud of me, I've been procrastinating it for ages. They are officially in my fake magazine project and looking really good. I have one week left of media coursework so I've got to step it up next week and get everything perfecting, and I'm sure I can, it won't be a problem. Then I'll start revising last year's work :dancing:

You know what time it is...

Surprisingly, this has already been quite a positive entry, but there are more positives to come:

-I'm feeling super motivated right now! I think it's because I've been watching study vlogs, and they make studying seem so fun, and I want to be just like those vloggers, so there's a top tip
- There's only one week until half term :beer:
- I've sourced a costume for a play I'm in (I LOVE costume shopping)
- I had the first rehearsal for my school's classics play (yes, we do a classics play. We're so extra). And I'm playing Circe in The Oddessey, exciting times!
- Me and my friend filmed another video for our youtube channel, which will hopefully be up later today!

That's all for now folks, I wish you a merry studying but remember to take some time for yourself, especially if it's your half term this week! Take up a hobby, start scrap-booking, paint a picture, learn a dance routine. Just have a good and wholesome time this week

Salut!
Emily
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 5: The Lost Files

I wrote my whole entry for this week and accidentally clicked on something that deleted it all. There is no way I am spending my time writing the blog out again so I'll just do a quick update.

I have a week until UCAS application needs to be in which is completely terrifying. For some of my courses a portfolio is required and I have limited time to sort that out. Also, mocks are coming up and I'm scared I'll do badly.

They are basically all my concerns, thanks for listening. A levels are a pain in the ass but we're going to do this TOGETHER.

Let me hear a YES WE CAN

Wins of the week :crown:
-I handed in my media NEA!
- I finished my reading challenge- 35 books this year so far
- I can do this

I can do this

We can do this
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 6: A Safe Place

This week was half term! And luckily I went nowhere, so spent most of my time either working on my personal statement or putting together my media portfolio. My UCAS application is set to be sent on Monday and I'm nervous but surprisingly, more excited. I really want to know what they're all going to say (I hope yes!). I'm applying to Coventry, Sussex, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent and South Wales, if anyone cares. I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications <3. Now onto this week's headlines...

English Lit
Yeah, there hasn't been a lot of that this week. All I've done for English is write a sub-par essay. I'm finding it really hard to analyse our modern literature texts so I think I'll be asking someone for help on that. As soon as applications are over with. :groovy:

French
Wow, not a lot of this either. Now I think about it, what I have I been doing this half term? The portfolio couldn't have taken that long, I need to get my life back together once I'm back at school. I started doing some French homework but felt really unmotivated because I don't like L'etranger, it's such a downer of a book. I'll have to do it all today. :hmpf:

Media studies
Essentially I've been doing my portfolio, I guess that counts. I've been trying to find a good essay to put in there, but the only one where I got above a B is my year 12 mock, and I think the school still has it, I'll have to sort that out. :beard:

-I read an incredible book called Radio Silence
-I started watching the Office
- I went roller skating
- My personal statement is looking great!!
- I started an online course on podcasting

Looking at my wins of the week, I guess that explains where my half term went
Wishing you a productive week
Emily
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ES2001)
Chapter 6: A Safe Place

This week was half term! And luckily I went nowhere, so spent most of my time either working on my personal statement or putting together my media portfolio. My UCAS application is set to be sent on Monday and I'm nervous but surprisingly, more excited. I really want to know what they're all going to say (I hope yes!). I'm applying to Coventry, Sussex, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent and South Wales, if anyone cares. I wish everyone the best of luck with their applications <3. Now onto this week's headlines...

English Lit
Yeah, there hasn't been a lot of that this week. All I've done for English is write a sub-par essay. I'm finding it really hard to analyse our modern literature texts so I think I'll be asking someone for help on that. As soon as applications are over with. :groovy:

French
Wow, not a lot of this either. Now I think about it, what I have I been doing this half term? The portfolio couldn't have taken that long, I need to get my life back together once I'm back at school. I started doing some French homework but felt really unmotivated because I don't like L'etranger, it's such a downer of a book. I'll have to do it all today. :hmpf:

Media studies
Essentially I've been doing my portfolio, I guess that counts. I've been trying to find a good essay to put in there, but the only one where I got above a B is my year 12 mock, and I think the school still has it, I'll have to sort that out. :beard:

-I read an incredible book called Radio Silence
-I started watching the Office
- I went roller skating
- My personal statement is looking great!!
- I started an online course on podcasting

Looking at my wins of the week, I guess that explains where my half term went
Wishing you a productive week
Emily
Well done on the personal statement! What modern texts are you doing in English lit at the moment?
ES2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Well done on the personal statement! What modern texts are you doing in English lit at the moment?
I'm doing Spies by Michael Frayn and Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 7: Calm

Sorry there was no entry last week, I don't really have an excuse. I left it too long and decided that I might as well wait another week, so here we are. A lot has happened since my last year, I will fill you all in. The main news is that I have received two unconditional uni offers from South Wales and Lincoln, so things are looking up. That's just the positive boost I needed tbh.

French
I got an end of topic test back where I received a C in one section and an E in the other, which probably sounds bad, but that is what I've been getting pretty consistently. This week I've finally made peace with the fact that I will probably get a C in French. It's a hard A level, and if I work myself as hard as I can, that's probably all I'd be getting. Maybe if I gave up doing drama and having hobbies then I can get a B, but I shouldn't have to compromise doing what i l love for my grades, it's my life and I've decided what's most important for my future. Saying that, I'm doing lots of extra grammar and vocab to try and achieve that elusive C grade, that I so desire. Wish me luck :dumbells:

English Lit
My teachers were so positive about me at parents evening, which confused me, but yesterday I found out why. I got an A in my latest English paper!!! I think that's my first A grade in English, but hopefully not my last! :dance:
I also made a revision game which is basically the board game Compatability but with poetry quotes. I'm really excited to trial it on Monday, i'll tell you how it goes.

Media Studies
We're back to theory work this week, and learning about Assassin's Creed and Woman's Hour. I think it's really interesting to learn about these different industries. The most interesting thing we discussed in class was if video games make people violent. I decided that no, they don't, after some deliberation and research. You're welcome, gamers :gthumb:

Wins of the Week:crown:
-Uni offers, obvs
-I'm doing an online podcasting course which is super interesting
-I'm doing a show next week!!
- Being consistent with doing vocab

I wish you all a calm, peaceful week
Emily
ES2001
Rep:
?
Chapter 8: Show Time
This week I've been in a show so I've had barely any time after school to study.But it's been worth it, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. So here's the low-down on this week, I haven't been focussed on school that much so it might be quite short.

French
I'm finding it hard to be positive about French or enjoy it at all because I suck at it.
And that's pretty much my mood on that.
But I'm going to Paris on Monday which I'm hoping will fuel my love for the language again. I'm also planning the finish my grammar exercise book before mocks start, so that's my latest challenge. I've also been sticking to vocab (almost) every day. :five:

English Lit
We had another surprise essay and I think I overcomplicated it all so it didn't go very well, but pretty much everyone failed so it's fine. English is going fine though, my revision game works well and stuff.

Media Studies
I've had loads of lessons cancelled so I've been making notes independently like the nerd I am. Just kidding, we're all nerds now, it's the only way you can actually pass A levels :cyber:

Wins of the Week:crown:
-My show, obviously, it's keeping me motivated
-I'm re-reading Harry Potter- those were simpler days
-I saw Bohemian Rhapsody and I'm now obsessed with Queen

I'm not in the best mood right now tbh. Mocks are approaching, and I'm terrified
Wishing you all a more happy mindset this week
Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
30.97%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.26%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.03%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.45%

Watched Threads