The Student Room Group

Macbook or windows laptop?

Hello I'm taking Computer Science for my degree course, or I wish too. Should I get get Macbook pro or a high range ultra book windows computer?
Reply 1
Original post by Adamburgess38
Hello I'm taking Computer Science for my degree course, or I wish too. Should I get get Macbook pro or a high range ultra book windows computer?

Definitely a Windows Computer; Macbooks are very specific with what you can install and if you come across a specific program you need for your course you may struggle with downloading and have to root the mac. You can also install linux on windows which is used in the majority of computer science course.
One last note is that you can get a much better machine in the windows range for the same price as a macbook pro, the HP envy x360 may be a good option if you don't mind 15.6" screen as it has a good processor, nice case, amazing display, is touchscreen, and I would recommend the dual storage (1tb hdd and 128gb ssd minimum) type for quick boot and tons of storage for graphical editing (which may pop up), programs, linux and pictures.
Reply 2
windows
Just buy a 1070 SLI laptop, yeah *****.
Original post by Danrut
Definitely a Windows Computer; Macbooks are very specific with what you can install and if you come across a specific program you need for your course you may struggle with downloading and have to root the mac. You can also install linux on windows which is used in the majority of computer science course.
One last note is that you can get a much better machine in the windows range for the same price as a macbook pro, the HP envy x360 may be a good option if you don't mind 15.6" screen as it has a good processor, nice case, amazing display, is touchscreen, and I would recommend the dual storage (1tb hdd and 128gb ssd minimum) type for quick boot and tons of storage for graphical editing (which may pop up), programs, linux and pictures.

Have you taken a computing degree? I've had a work placement at barclays and I was amazed by how many people use a macbook
Have you taken a computing degree? I've had a work placement at barclays and I was amazed by how many people use a macbook

You know windows has like a 90% world marketshare, mac is so niche.
Reply 6
Go for a windows definitely. I have a MacBook and I let a friend who does computer science use my laptop for a while when they forgot theirs at uni one day and they could not get any of their work done. I’ve only ever heard bad things about MacBooks from people who computer based degrees.
Reply 7

I am currently in my A-levels atm, however, we have been advised to go for windows laptops if we want them, I have asked most computing lecturers/practical teachers for university when I went on open days, as I am doing computer science next year, on the preferred system requirements all said at least windows.
The difference between a placement and a university is that placement will have specific software designed by the head company (i.e. Barclays) so that the system can run on Apple but with a university course you will be much more experimental with what you run. Most courses dabble in graphics, AI programming, android apps, so many different programming languages and most importantly Linux. These all will run with ease of installation and all peripherals will work fine on windows but on mac you will struggle and lag behind others in your course.
I also work at Currys PC World as a computing advisor and you will also get a much better machine with more processing inside a windows laptop than a mac at the same price. You may even save more money on a windows machine with more power and even better screen quality, then anything you save can put into accommodation, food, software such as office, peripherals such as VR sets, and even a new phone.
Don't worry if you have an IPhone as you can access most of your phone's capabilities on a windows machine anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending