The Student Room Group

How do you interpret infrared spectroscopy graph ?

Need hellpppp
Reply 1
Help
GCSE?
Reply 3
No
Original post by hujikolp
No

Can't help then. All I remember is you look at where the black lines are and what they match up with. It may help if you post the actuall question.
Need hellpppp

There's not a lot you can do with IR.

You can try and match large absorptions with a table of typical absorpton wavelengths to identify possible functional groups. Hydrogen bonding is normally a very broad -OH absorbance in alcohols and carboxylic acids. Carbonyl is fairly obvious.

If you suspect the identity of a compound you can compare it's IR with the sample (fingerprinting)
Reply 6
Original post by charco
There's not a lot you can do with IR.

You can try and match large absorptions with a table of typical absorpton wavelengths to identify possible functional groups. Hydrogen bonding is normally a very broad -OH absorbance in alcohols and carboxylic acids. Carbonyl is fairly obvious.

If you suspect the identity of a compound you can compare it's IR with the sample (fingerprinting)

What can I say for propanal
What can I say for propanal

There will be a strong absorption due to the carbonyl group C=O stretching at about 1670 - 1820 cm-1.
There will be also be a C-H stretch at about 3000 cm -1 and C-H bends at about 1400 cm-1

Quick Reply

Latest