_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I just wanted to know if there was a great deal of essay writing in A-level economics; like is it similar to that in GCSE history? Also, would you be greatly disadvantaged if you didn't study GCSE Economics? And, would it be beneficial to do an essay based GCSE, e.g RS or History if you plan on doing A-level economics?

Thank you!
virtualcounselor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, since I've studied IGCSE, AS and A Level Economics, I can possibly help you out in this case. There sure is a lot of writing to do but the use of diagrams makes it easier to construct essays - so it will not be full of words because you'll often draw economic models (a.k.a diagrams) and then provide a brief (or well explained) explanation, in order to get the full marks. You'll have two papers - 1 multiple choice and 1 data response (this is the same structure for IGCSE and AS and A Level). Paper 1 will always have 30 MCQ's although the duration varies for IGCSE, AS as well as A Level. Paper 2 will consist of a compulsory question - kind of like a comprehension in English exams but regarding Economics knowledge and the second section will consist of several essay questions out of which you will pick I think 3 in IGCSE, 1 in AS Level and 2 in A Level - seriously not as hard as people make it sound (I scored a higher grade in A Level than I ever did in IGCSE!) *** DIAGRAMS ARE A LIFE SAVER )) ***

I can't quite comment anything about History but I can assure you that Economics is a much more logical and understandable subject than History. As long as you can understand all the concepts and try to think of every situation from several perspectives, then you are good to go.

I'd suggest that you have a look at the syllabus so that you don't have any mixed feelings about Economics (do check the IGCSE and AS and A Level syllabus)

If you do plan on doing Economics, then I personally think *just my opinion!* you should take at least another similar subject that could possibly be helpful (for example, Business, Accounting or Sociology)

● PS: I just finished my A Levels this June (Business, Economics and Chemistry)
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by virtualcounselor)
Hey, since I've studied IGCSE, AS and A Level Economics, I can possibly help you out in this case. There sure is a lot of writing to do but the use of diagrams makes it easier to construct essays - so it will not be full of words because you'll often draw economic models (a.k.a diagrams) and then provide a brief (or well explained) explanation, in order to get the full marks. You'll have two papers - 1 multiple choice and 1 data response (this is the same structure for IGCSE and AS and A Level). Paper 1 will always have 30 MCQ's although the duration varies for IGCSE, AS as well as A Level. Paper 2 will consist of a compulsory question - kind of like a comprehension in English exams but regarding Economics knowledge and the second section will consist of several essay questions out of which you will pick I think 3 in IGCSE, 1 in AS Level and 2 in A Level - seriously not as hard as people make it sound (I scored a higher grade in A Level than I ever did in IGCSE!) *** DIAGRAMS ARE A LIFE SAVER )) ***

I can't quite comment anything about History but I can assure you that Economics is a much more logical and understandable subject than History. As long as you can understand all the concepts and try to think of every situation from several perspectives, then you are good to go.

I'd suggest that you have a look at the syllabus so that you don't have any mixed feelings about Economics (do check the IGCSE and AS and A Level syllabus)

If you do plan on doing Economics, then I personally think *just my opinion!* you should take at least another similar subject that could possibly be helpful (for example, Business, Accounting or Sociology)

● PS: I just finished my A Levels this June (Business, Economics and Chemistry)
Thank you very much! I will certainly look over the specifications over the weekend. I think that I may do economics as I do think quite logically.

I am planning on doing: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Economics*.

The economics is kind of like a subject that I think I will enjoy that will also keep my university choices open as I'm also doing math.

Thanks again!
virtualcounselor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Thank you very much! I will certainly look over the specifications over the weekend. I think that I may do economics as I do think quite logically.

I am planning on doing: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology & Economics*.

The economics is kind of like a subject that I think I will enjoy that will also keep my university choices open as I'm also doing math.

Thanks again!
No worries at all! You'll definitely enjoy Economics if you're really good at connecting actions and consequences plus it has the shortest syllabus probably out of all AS and A Level subjects!

If you need any help, you can always message me
_Mia101
Rep:
?
(Original post by virtualcounselor)
No worries at all! You'll definitely enjoy Economics if you're really good at connecting actions and consequences plus it has the shortest syllabus probably out of all AS and A Level subjects!

If you need any help, you can always message me
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads