medicine stress Watch

T-Th
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
urghhh my family is stressing me out about medicine.
I wanted to do medicine at first but its very competitive and my grades aren't that good. but I still like the idea of medicine so I thought of allied health professionals. but my family keeps saying they're not 'doctors' and they don't do 'surgery'. you came to England and u can't even be a doctor blah blah blah

so what should I do? and what allied health professionals would you recommend?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Think about wether you want to medicine. Is it the right thing for you? What are your grades?
Would you prefer an allied health professional? Make sure you actually want to be a doctor and not that what appeals to you is more a nurses job or another health professionals.
T-Th
Rep:
?
should i give medicine a shot or am i wasting a year and ill never be accepted
T-Th
Rep:
?
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
Think about wether you want to medicine. Is it the right thing for you? What are your grades?
Would you prefer an allied health professional? Make sure you actually want to be a doctor and not that what appeals to you is more a nurses job or another health professionals.
i really want to do medicine but i feel like working for 5 years and the years after is a bit much, even though I really want to be a doctor.

my grades so far are BCD but teachers said that they can raise it if i do well in upcoming tests that are on the beginning of October. I'm getting my test mark for my maths test tomorrow and feel good about it. i have my ukcat test after tomorrow.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by T-Th)
i really want to do medicine but i feel like working for 5 years and the years after is a bit much, even though I really want to be a doctor.

my grades so far are BCD but teachers said that they can raise it if i do well in upcoming tests that are on the beginning of October. I'm getting my test mark for my maths test tomorrow and feel good about it. i have my ukcat test after tomorrow.
If it's going to be too much and you don't think you can dedicate your life to it, then don't. Go down another route. Medicine isn't the right path for everyone.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by T-Th)
I wanted to do medicine at first but its very competitive and my grades aren't that good. but I still like the idea of medicine so I thought of allied health professionals. but my family keeps saying they're not 'doctors' and they don't do 'surgery'. you came to England and u can't even be a doctor blah blah blah

Please stop making multiple threads about the same topic. This is about the fifth one about AHP v. medicine.
Shish_bish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by T-Th)

OMG, we are in the same freakin’ boat

Unlike you my grades are good and am predicted A*A*A.
I initially wanted medicine soooo bad that could do anything but with all this stressing application process and it being competitive, I lost the passion and I don’t wanna be responsible for anyone’s life. And I didn’t wanna go to some crappy uni just coz I wanna do medicine. Nowadays everyone and their dog think they deserve a career in medicine, No.
I recently told my folks I will be applying for computer science,you would have seen the look of their faces it was like I told them am dropping out and pursuing a career in comedy. And tbh the more they push me, the more I lose the love for medicine.
There’s just sth about immigrant parents they impact on you this thing of do law, medicine, business etc(anything prestigious). They just want the prestige, they don’t care about what you enjoy.

Tbh if you don’t wanna be a doctor, I wouldn’t recommend nursing either , being a nurse is also some stress, long hours etc. Initially i also thought maybe I could do nursing if I don’t do medicine but I have worked in a care home(it’s the closest to nursing)for now 1 year and months and trust me, it’s dreadful and I cannot imagine working like that for years but u can do it if u love it coz some people at my work seem to reeeaaalllyyy enjoy it and I am one of those who only goes for money 💴 since I got to support myself through Alevels while getting medicine experience stuff.

I would suggest a gap year so that u figure out what u want.

Btw, am thinking of standup comedy partly but will begin next year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Shish_bish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
If it's going to be too much and you don't think you can dedicate your life to it, then don't. Go down another route. Medicine isn't the right path for everyone.
True everyone and their dog think they deserve a career in medicine. Nope
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
T-Th
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shish_bish)
OMG, we are in the same freakin’ boat

Unlike you my grades are good and am predicted A*A*A.
I initially wanted medicine soooo bad that could do anything but with all this stressing application process and it being competitive, I lost the passion and I don’t wanna be responsible for anyone’s life. And I didn’t wanna go to some crappy uni just coz I wanna do medicine. Nowadays everyone and their dog think they deserve a career in medicine, No.
I recently told my folks I will be applying for computer science,you would have seen the look of their faces it was like I told them am dropping out and pursuing a career in comedy. And tbh the more they push me, the more I lose the love for medicine.
There’s just sth about immigrant parents they impact on you this thing of do law, medicine, business etc(anything prestigious). They just want the prestige, they don’t care about what you enjoy.

Tbh if you don’t wanna be a doctor, I wouldn’t recommend nursing either , being a nurse is also some stress, long hours etc. Initially i also thought maybe I could do nursing if I don’t do medicine but I have worked in a care home(it’s the closest to nursing)for now 1 year and months and trust me, it’s dreadful and I cannot imagine working like that for years but u can do it if u love it coz some people at my work seem to reeeaaalllyyy enjoy it and I am one of those who only goes for money 💴 since I got to support myself through Alevels while getting medicine experience stuff.

I would suggest a gap year so that u figure out what u want.

Btw, am thinking of standup comedy partly but will begin next year.
it would be nice to become a doctor but i know my limit ssoo. immigrant parents just want that 'my daughter is a doctor' thing but they don't understand that I will be the one who's gonna suffer and put effort and stay up not them. but i like mediciney stuff if you get me so i was thinking of allied health professionals. Orthoptics and podiatry sound alright im not quite sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads