The Student Room Group

Physics vs Engineering vs Maths vs Combined

Currently in year 13 stressing/burying my head in the sand about the whole uni inevitability.
Studying; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science. (And took an AS in psychology)

Before I get to the main section of this, there isn’t exactly a clear question, more of just a general plea for advice or recommendations on what you may have done or where I should begin.

Have no idea what course or university I would like to study or be at.

I like it Maths and Physics both, however both have sections I dislike (which is unsurprising) and I can’t exactly see myself studying either one purely for the next 3 years.
On the contrary I enjoy a section that overlaps between the two, mechanics. Which I presume to be vaguely related to some sort of engineering. I am rather uneducated on the different types of engineering and what differences they hold.

I am also rather blind when it comes to combined degrees. I remember at a ‘focus day’ being told the difference between degrees that day “with” and “and”. I also don’t know how combined degrees are perceived in the working world.

TLDR/conclusion
What’s better a degree in some sort of engineering or a combined maths and physics.
Secondly what are the differences between the engineering types.

I understand this may come across as me being lazy, which is partially true. But I also have no idea where to start and am to be honest finding the whole situation overwhelming.

(I apologise I feel as if I have rambled and this is certainly not in the other style/format of posts on here)
Original post by Ben5315
Currently in year 13 stressing/burying my head in the sand about the whole uni inevitability.
Studying; Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computer Science. (And took an AS in psychology)

Before I get to the main section of this, there isn’t exactly a clear question, more of just a general plea for advice or recommendations on what you may have done or where I should begin.

Have no idea what course or university I would like to study or be at.

I like it Maths and Physics both, however both have sections I dislike (which is unsurprising) and I can’t exactly see myself studying either one purely for the next 3 years.
On the contrary I enjoy a section that overlaps between the two, mechanics. Which I presume to be vaguely related to some sort of engineering. I am rather uneducated on the different types of engineering and what differences they hold.

I am also rather blind when it comes to combined degrees. I remember at a ‘focus day’ being told the difference between degrees that day “with” and “and”. I also don’t know how combined degrees are perceived in the working world.

TLDR/conclusion
What’s better a degree in some sort of engineering or a combined maths and physics.
Secondly what are the differences between the engineering types.

I understand this may come across as me being lazy, which is partially true. But I also have no idea where to start and am to be honest finding the whole situation overwhelming.

(I apologise I feel as if I have rambled and this is certainly not in the other style/format of posts on here)

Have you thought about careers after the degree? Are you interested in pursuing a career in engineering? If it's mechanics you like, you'll study that in engineering, but in a more applied sense than in physics (I would imagine you would, or have the option to, cover mechanics in degree level physics too).
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Have you thought about careers after the degree? Are you interested in pursuing a career in engineering? If it's mechanics you like, you'll study that in engineering, but in a more applied sense than in physics (I would imagine you would, or have the option to, cover mechanics in degree level physics too).

To be truthful my career aspirations vary all the time and at the same time have no more inclination to any specific career.
I think this is partly because I have 0 idea what a career would entail especially in something such as engineering.
Reply 3
Try to talk to engineering companies.
Go to NEC at the big bang. This year they might be able to help you with this.
Or just go to the library and read about it.
How's careers at your school/college?
You need to do some research. You can find the modules covered on different courses on university websites, research different degrees, read about experiences of people who study them. Also look at different careers to decide what you want to do after - there's plenty of information available on Google and YouTube to get an understanding of what different careers involve.
Original post by Ben5315
To be truthful my career aspirations vary all the time and at the same time have no more inclination to any specific career.
I think this is partly because I have 0 idea what a career would entail especially in something such as engineering.

If you are unsure, you could maybe take a gap year? It's a better solution that possibly taking the wrong degree.

Engineering can encompass a really broad range of careers - especially when you consider the different disciplines and where they can lead to. Generically engineering concerns itself with what is practical, whereas the sciences are more theoretical in nature. Engineering can encompass design, testing, management, operation, maintenance, risk of "real world" systems, equipment, industry, buildings etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending