The Student Room Group

Transfer after first year

Right, I'll explain my situation firstly.

I was a student at NTU studying computer science, and I opted to defer my degree for a year. After complications, I ended up having to pay the tuition for that year too, using a student loan. I went through clearing to study Compsci and Mathematics at a different uni, doing a foundation year too. Today I found out I won't be able to get funding for one of the years as SFE only cover 4 years of student finance. Now I have the opportunity to switch straight onto the Computer Science BSc at two unis, one where I'd live at home, Derby, and one where I'd move into halls, Sheffield Hallam. Honestly I'm in two minds about the situation, and I know it's very last minute but I'm stressing out a ridiculous amount and I need to make a decision tomorrow morning.

I feel as if I want to throw myself out of my comfort zone and go to Sheffield Hallam, but I'm worried I'll dislike it. What are the chances of me being accepted back at Derby after completing the first year at Hallam, if I didn't like it but still passed the year?

Sorry if this is a jumble but the main question I'm asking is would it be possible to transfer to a uni closer to home, like Derby, if I wanted to after completing the first year?
SFE don’t limit your funding based on a set number of years. It’s based on the length of your new course plus one gift year (which you used at ntu). If you start a course with a foundation year then that will be funded for the length of that course. If you take a foundation year and then swap to a 3 year course elsewhere then the year 1 of the three year course will not be funded (as your funding would be:
Length of new course (3) + gift year (1) - previous years of study (2) = 2 years left)
Original post by stressofuni
Right, I'll explain my situation firstly.

I was a student at NTU studying computer science, and I opted to defer my degree for a year. After complications, I ended up having to pay the tuition for that year too, using a student loan. I went through clearing to study Compsci and Mathematics at a different uni, doing a foundation year too. Today I found out I won't be able to get funding for one of the years as SFE only cover 4 years of student finance. Now I have the opportunity to switch straight onto the Computer Science BSc at two unis, one where I'd live at home, Derby, and one where I'd move into halls, Sheffield Hallam. Honestly I'm in two minds about the situation, and I know it's very last minute but I'm stressing out a ridiculous amount and I need to make a decision tomorrow morning.

I feel as if I want to throw myself out of my comfort zone and go to Sheffield Hallam, but I'm worried I'll dislike it. What are the chances of me being accepted back at Derby after completing the first year at Hallam, if I didn't like it but still passed the year?

Sorry if this is a jumble but the main question I'm asking is would it be possible to transfer to a uni closer to home, like Derby, if I wanted to after completing the first year?

Hi,

Have you made your decision now? Let me know if you want any information about studying at Hallam. We have student ambassadors who can tell you about the course/student life.

I am sure you'll enjoy your uni experience wherever you go!

Thanks
Bridget

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending